Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Teachers to wear guns in South Dakota

governor dennis daugaard teachers guns school

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#91    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostThanato, on 11 March 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Well it is all hypothetical. I would sue them as they would not have just cause to take my license. I don't live in a city, but if I did I can just as easily in close quarters take some one out with a blunt object as a firearm.

Perhaps the United States needs to take a step back and look at there problems. More guns is not a solution it is a very brittle band aid at best. The US needs to figure out what the problems are and put aside party politics and solve it. If you can spend over half a trillion on the US Military I think you can spend a few billion on taking a look at this issue and then put some serious thought and effort into solving it.

~Thanato

You can't sue the government for making a law that would suddenly make it illegal for you to own your guns. You could easily come back from a tour of duty with a mild case of PTSD. If you went to see a therapist you could be deemed mentally ill and unfit to own your firearms. There would be nothing you could do about it. New York's new idiotic gun laws didn't exempt police officers from having a gun in their homes and now, technically, they are breaking the law.

I know very well what the problem is, without spending a few billion dollars. Criminals commit crimes with illegal guns and get a slap on the wrist. They spend little to no time in jail and continue to commit crimes while they are on probation or out on bail awaiting trial. There is virtually no deterrent for them.

#92    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,963 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 11 March 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

Ewwwww!  I hope you gave him a kick up the backside and sent him on his way LOL

won't work ... if Fergie wants ... Fergie gets ....

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#93    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

Criminals commit crimes with illegal guns and get a slap on the wrist. They spend little to no time in jail and continue to commit crimes while they are on probation or out on bail awaiting trial. There is virtually no deterrent for them.

Where do they get these illegal guns?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#94    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostStellar, on 11 March 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Mostly from people selling those cheap throwaway guns out of the trunk of their cars.

#95    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostStellar, on 11 March 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

I thought this might interest you.

http://www.pbs.org/w...rocon/guns.html

#96    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostMichelle, on 11 March 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

Seems like a gun registration would reduce the supply to the criminals.

View PostMichelle, on 11 March 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

----Seraphina

#97    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostStellar, on 11 March 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

I have no problem with that. My background check has been done and I only buy guns legally.

#98    Drayno

Drayno

Draynor's Finest

• 3,705 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostStellar, on 09 March 2013 - 12:22 AM, said:

Why dont we just give the kids guns too. That way they can defend themselves. I mean... what if someone tries to kill them in the hallway? The teacher is not going to arrive in time! ARM THE KIDS!

Children in the wild west actually had guns.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II

#99    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,963 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Well if it were in the wild wild west I bet we won't be having this debate, on the hand ol'Levi Zendt didn't like guns either

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#100    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

-Patton

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostMichelle, on 11 March 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

I have no problem with that. My background check has been done and I only buy guns legally.

I'd argue that between the two things (a gun registry and arming teachers), a gun registry would be more effective at preventing overall gun murders than arming teachers. Follow that up with the requirement to store firearms securely and the children will also be much safer than by arming teachers.

----Seraphina

#101    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

-Patton

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostEonwe, on 11 March 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

Children in the wild west actually had guns.

Good. Arm them again then.

----Seraphina

#102    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostStellar, on 11 March 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

I'd argue that between the two things (a gun registry and arming teachers), a gun registry would be more effective at preventing overall gun murders than arming teachers. Follow that up with the requirement to store firearms securely and the children will also be much safer than by arming teachers.

Connecticut has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, including registration, and it didn't stop the school shooting. There is no foolproof way to keep guns out of the hands of people that are determined to get them. I've already said I'm not a fan of arming teachers, but even when security is not allowed to carry on school grounds it doesn't make any sense. And, people are charged when a child gains access to a firearm, but they, along with the criminals that commit crimes with guns and actually shoot people, also get a slap on the wrist. Basically, it still comes down to the justice system and how inept it is.

#103    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

-Patton

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostMichelle, on 11 March 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

Connecticut has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, including registration, and it didn't stop the school shooting. There is no foolproof way to keep guns out of the hands of people that are determined to get them. I've already said I'm not a fan of arming teachers, but even when security is not allowed to carry on school grounds it doesn't make any sense. And, people are charged when a child gains access to a firearm, but they, along with the criminals that commit crimes with guns and actually shoot people, also get a slap on the wrist. Basically, it still comes down to the justice system and how inept it is.

Well, first off, registration itself is not going to stop school shootings. The registration (if implemented on a national level) will help dry up supplies of guns on the black market and, from there, reduce the overall number of gun homicides. I don't believe that the students that go into schools killing kids got their guns off the black market --- in their case, they got them from their relatives.

The way it would work is this: The gun registration ensures that people do not sell the guns to those who shouldn't have them. Why? Because when a gun is used in a crime, it can be traced back to the last person to lawfully own it, and he'll then be held accountable in part for aiding in the crime. For instance: If I give me gun to Joe Blow down the street without doing a proper transfer of posession, and then Joe Blow shoots up a bank, I'm also held accountable. This only works, though, if it is implemented on a national level. If no one in my city is willing to give their gun to Joe Blow, and he could drive 30 minutes and get one from somewhere else, it wont work.

Now how would it help prevent school shootings, if most school shootings involve legally owned guns? Well, by enacting proper firearm storage laws, kids won't be able to go open their parent's drawer and take their guns.

And finally, like all things, you must enforce strict punishments in order to deter future crime. If the punishment for something is not considered a big deal, then people will not care to abide by the law.

----Seraphina

#104    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

You are preaching to the chroir, Stellar. The idiotic laws the government are trying to implement are just that...idiotic, They are meant to appease the anti gun activists and will do nothing against gun crime.

If there isn't going to be stiff sentences for people who try and kill someone with a gun what makes you think they are going to throw someone into the slammer for having a gun unsecured?

Edited by Michelle, 11 March 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#105    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,111 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostStellar, on 11 March 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

just like car registration prevents car thefts, and dui.

may be you should not have a gun at all, this way your gun will not end up stolen, and used in crime, after all you don't need it, call police, it is their job to protect you, not yours.

RESIDENT TROLL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users