Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Explain this one to me...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    RaisingCain

RaisingCain

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

So I'm walking two friends, after walking a third friend home. It's late about 1:15 am at night, not that that was a bad thing because I wanted to get out of the house for a bit anyway.

We were chatting among ourselves, not in any deep discussion or anything, when we all stop and remain silent for a good thirty seconds. Dumbfounded. Why? Because we'd just seen a flash in the sky, come from a centralized ball of light. It was bright enough to light up the whole god-damn sky, but then it was gone as quickly as it came.
I'm not saying it was a U.F.O or anything, it was just weird, that's all. I believe in the unexplained, that there is more then what meets the eye; but it could have been a number of things.

Like the sensible creatures we are, we all tried to debunk it. Space junk? Couldn't have been, it was the color of electricity, and it came from a large, stationary ball. Naturally our wanderings turned to ball lightning  and while that might have been so, it doesn't seem to fit. From my understanding, ball-lightning occurs during a storm or at least stormy weather. It was a nice night out, with only light cloud over. You could even see stars poking through in places. Again, could have been ball lightning-and if so we were all very lucky to witness that- but it just doesn't seem to match up.

Now, I'm a great believer of the paranormal. I've even been on paranormal investigations before, and I believe that nothing should be claimed as paranormal until all other explanations have been considered and debunked. But I'm stumped on this one. We were all looking in the same rough position, it was directly in front of us and not far away. All three  of us have the same story, and all three of us have no clue what went on. But I'm hoping some of you guys might.

I'm sure there's loads of people on here who are smarter, experienced -or both- then me on this subject. I've had a quick look of the internet since I got home, and found nothing that fit the story, except for some dodgy E.T stories which I am reluctant to pay much attention to.

Hi there, by the way! First post on this site :P

Edited by RaisingCain, 09 March 2013 - 03:22 PM.

Love is just chemical. The meaning, that's the choice.

#2    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,703 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

And welcome to UM!

Its going to be pretty hard for anyone to explain it without them having seen it too!  Sometimes things are just  "unknown" and cant be fully explained. Ive seen a number of 'unknowns' in my life, including daytime 'thingies' in the skies.

BTW see some links here for anything similar to your sighting

https://www.google.c...x-a&channel=rcs

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#3    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,905 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

hi and welcome!
i don't have any suggestions for you on what you could have seen but i appreciate that you related it in a logical manner.
i wish more people did ;)

JGirl's official tune of the day - hear it here!

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#4    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Welcome to the group, RaisingCain; It could have been a bright meteor (fireball) that happened to be traveling along your line of sight, either directly toward you, or directly away from you. This isn't too likely to happen, of course, but given the large number of reported fireballs, it's reasonable that this would happen occasionally.

Edited by bison, 09 March 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#5    RaisingCain

RaisingCain

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

View Postbison, on 09 March 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Welcome to the group, RaisingCain; It could have been a bright meteor (fireball) that happened to be traveling along your line of sight, either directly toward you, or directly away from you. This isn't too likely to happen, of course, but given the large number of reported fireballs, it's reasonable that this would happen occasionally.

Plausible, and probably likely. But wouldn't a meteor have had something of a redish hue, from the fire and burning up in the atmosphere?

Love is just chemical. The meaning, that's the choice.

#6    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,703 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostRaisingCain, on 09 March 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Plausible, and probably likely. But wouldn't a meteor have had something of a redish hue, from the fire and burning up in the atmosphere?

well I guess color is down to composition, personally Ive seen a number of shooting stars, and 3 of them,  years apart -  were glowing green. Mind you - you dont get a second look, quick flash and they're gone. But Ive also seen a couple 'typical star' color,  just sort of silvery bright/white, the color of electric sparks.

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#7    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,155 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostRaisingCain, on 09 March 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Almost all colors of the spectrum have been reported. Speed of the object, and the mineral composition are the main determining factors. I saw a very bright one, as a child, that had many different colors in it, as it streamed along.

#8    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,828 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Positive lightning is particularly dangerous, because it frequently strikes away from the rain core, either ahead or behind the thunderstorm. It can strike as far as 5 or 10 miles (8 or 16 kilometers) from the storm, in areas that most people do not consider to be a lightning-risk area.

http://news.national...ingfacts_2.html

Just a fun fact....

I think you saw a Meteor. I was lucky enough to see one many years ago, when it " exploded" the entire Carson Valley lit up.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#9    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 206 posts

• ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

My first thought when I read you're story was Ball Lightning { like what Sakari described }, ahead of or trailing a thunderstorm. Other than that if you are in any kind of a siesmic area, energy can be released in the form of colored lights, only these usually resemble northern lights, rather than lightning. Also welcome to the discussions.

"you oughta be in here looking out"

#10    CT1993

CT1993

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

• With a Force that can't be compared, to any firepower, for it's mind power shared

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

Was totally a UFO lmao most people on this site are afraid to even use the word but if it came from a stationary object not flying across the sky (like a meteorite would) and there was no weather conditions that would make it ball lightning,.... it was a UFO man.

If you eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

By the way i think it's funny how people on this site are so quick to dismiss UFO's and especially an alien UFO but they will mention Ball lightning. I mean first off it's not a scientifically proven thing, so Ball lightning may not even exist! but Math shows that aliens surly do exist not to mention the millions of reports of UFO's, Abductions and cattle mutilations. I personally don't believe in Ball lightning because when you think about it why would lightning make a ball anyways!?!? and how would it?!?. Anyways that's just my two cents.

Peace - CT

Edited by CT1993, 10 March 2013 - 05:13 AM.

#11    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 206 posts

• ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

First off, no one has dismissed the possibility of it being alien in nature. Second, Ball Lightning while it has not been proven and has been similarly reproduced in a laboratory.

Edited by Royal, 10 March 2013 - 12:53 PM.

"you oughta be in here looking out"

#12    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Sounds like a possible Iridium flare to me.  I've seen them many times and it shocks the hell out of people when they see it the first time.  They are very predictable if you look them up on a satellite tracking site

Edited by synchronomy, 10 March 2013 - 01:38 PM.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#13    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,155 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

I considered an Iridium satellite flare, too, but discarded it. These flares involve sunlight reflecting off the mirror-like surfaces of the satellites. They are typically seen during the hours immediately after sunset, or before sunrise. This is when two conditions prevail: 1.) The satellites are exposed to sunlight, and 2.) ]Their flashes are especially conspicuous in the dark.  The report of the flash in the original post gave the time as past 1 a.m. An Iridium satellite within viewing range at that time would be in Earth's shadow, and so would not flash.

#14    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• 1,977 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

View Postbison, on 10 March 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

I considered an Iridium satellite flare, too, but discarded it. These flares involve sunlight reflecting off the mirror-like surfaces of the satellites. They are typically seen during the hours immediately after sunset, or before sunrise. This is when two conditions prevail: 1.) The satellites are exposed to sunlight, and 2.) ]Their flashes are especially conspicuous in the dark.  The report of the flash in the original post gave the time as past 1 a.m. An Iridium satellite within viewing range at that time would be in Earth's shadow, and so would not flash.
Nope, please check Iridium data (synchronomy provided a link); they are visible at all hours, including during daylight

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#15    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,155 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 10 March 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Nope, please check Iridium data (synchronomy provided a link); they are visible at all hours, including during daylight
  I know that the flashes might be seen in the daytime. They should still be more obvious at night. I still believe that they would not flash in the middle of the night, due to the satellite being in Earth's shadow. That was my main point, in connection with the 1:15 a.m. report of an unidentified flash of light. Added note. Checked all Iridium satellite passes for my location for the next week. None occurred with the sun more than 14 degrees below the horizon.

Edited by bison, 10 March 2013 - 07:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users