Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

NUTS!


  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

    Feathered Feline

  • Member
  • 11,548 posts
  • Joined:18 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Planet Earth, Emerald Isle

  • Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 10 March 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

hahahaha seriously i admire their ability to survive in urban lifestyle
and the fact they annoy us is so adoreable :D

I adore the wee **** too.... :whistle:

Posted Image

#17    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

    Feathered Feline

  • Member
  • 11,548 posts
  • Joined:18 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Planet Earth, Emerald Isle

  • Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 10 March 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

What's up with squirrels?
Well you know what they say about a rodent being a rodent.
I didn't know storing nuts in trees would make them a garden pest.
Tbh spraying your plants with the urine of a major predator isn't a bad idea.
So what about getting foxes away from chicken coops?
Spray the coops with hunting hound urine would be logical.
In fact that isn't bad despite foxes not being official prey to the hounds.
At first I thought this was a thread about a certain lads magazine.
No! Just a load of tree rats.

EEEh! Heee haaaa har har!!! Nuts!! oh right..! Sorry, must stop laughing!  hahaha! :w00t:
Medium, you've put an image of a hound dog digging in my pots in my brain now!!

Posted Image

#18    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

    Feathered Feline

  • Member
  • 11,548 posts
  • Joined:18 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Planet Earth, Emerald Isle

  • Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

View Postrashore, on 10 March 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Yeppers. My first batch was squirrels and a chipmunk, second batch squirrels and one raccoon that snatched up the scraps, and the third batch was squirrels and drowning by an unexpected rainstorm... I ended up with 12 corn plants, 3 of which grew up, barely... Because by then the drought was on, heh. Squirrels LOVE corn around here, and a lot of people put out cobs for them year round.
Chipmunks decimated all my edamame and bean starts too, though those did a smidge better in the garden.

Between the critters making it a hard start, and being unable to keep up with watering needs during the drought, last years garden was a total wash cept for the gourds. This year I'm not sure if I will do any pre-planting, I got 8 weeks till the wedding and too much crap to do. So I'm prolly gonna go all direct seeding and plants from the local nursery that does tons of heirlooms.

And heh, the squirrels are my main competitor for the Chinese chestnut tree in my backyard- I have to start collecting those spiny balls the moment they start falling otherwise the squirrels just leave me a lot of sharp husks to clean up.


Cripes! that makes my moan a sneeze in comparison! We have squirrels in the local Park, but this wee one is a bit of a rogue, just the one, who has discovered cover further from his friends home. People here about think he's cute. Well he is, but in more ways than one. Good luck to you.

Posted Image

#19    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

    Feathered Feline

  • Member
  • 11,548 posts
  • Joined:18 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Planet Earth, Emerald Isle

  • Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 10 March 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

All this trouble with squirrels and British want to hunt foxes?

View PostFrank Merton, on 10 March 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

All this trouble with squirrels and British want to hunt foxes?
Yeh, we are a strange bunch.

Posted Image

#20    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

    Facebook Fiend

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Joined:25 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Middleton,Greater Manchester,UK

  • Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 10 March 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:



EEEh! Heee haaaa har har!!! Nuts!! oh right..! Sorry, must stop laughing!  hahaha! :w00t:
Medium, you've put an image of a hound dog digging in my pots in my brain now!!
Lol.I'm the stuff of nightmares!

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#21    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

    Feathered Feline

  • Member
  • 11,548 posts
  • Joined:18 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Planet Earth, Emerald Isle

  • Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 10 March 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Lol.I'm the stuff of nightmares!
Not going to disagree with you!

Posted Image

#22    rashore

rashore

    Telekinetic

  • 7,205 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

I dunno how helpful this is or not...

But last year I tried using literbox leavings by one of the gardens to help keep critters away, and it helped a little, but I thought it kind of gross. I started using ammonia in the little weeds in my driveway cracks, and that seemed to scare off the squirrels for a while, and coons for quite a bit longer. I made a bunch of "scares"- tinsel attached to stakes- and that helped with the birds a lot and the squirrels a bit, but did pretty much nothing for the coons. And I didn't see a squirrel or coon on the redbud tree I hang finch feeders and orange spikes on after I wound the base with a heap of raspberry brambles I deadheaded out of the raspberry patch.
I also have a squirrel dedicated feeder in a tree that's a bit away from all the other temptations in the yard, and I think that helps a lot. Most of the chestnuts I try to collect are for later distribution to the squirrels, hehe. And I have a tiny meadow that helps keep all the critters happy and away from where I don't want them to be.

I haven't resorted to predator urine yet- we already have some in the area, and this is currently an astonishingly healthy ecosystem, so I don't want to put out false scents yet beyond what I tried with my cats litter.

I've just pretty much given up on the notion of corn till I can get a couple caged raised SQFT beds made with. This year we are working on getting our first three "regular" beds set up, the preliminary testing for the future hops pavillion, and hopefully a beehive set up and a couple bat boxes.

And with all the other critters going on, they aren't even my worst garden problem- I have had some success with deterring them all. VOLES are the terror of my yard. Oh my, I'm still trying to figure out friendly ways to get those things out of my yard. Other than spreading a bunch of poison several times a year. The only thing natural I've noticed is that they don't seem to disturb areas of wild chives as much, so I've been encouraging those to take over my yard, but it's really slow.

Ticks are also a big problem, but in a couple years we will start keeping a few hens, and that will go back down.
Mosquitoes are amazing, especially down by the pond. In general, they don't like me, as in everyone else is being eaten alive, and I'm not bit once. But these skeeters like me just as much, and everyone else even more. So we are planning in beds of bug deterrent borders all over the place too and hopefully will get the first major ones down to the firepit established this year.

And back around to squirrels... One of the main bedding plants we are using for bug deterrent is also purported to be rather unpleasantly scented to squirrels.. Marigolds. They seem to really pop up on the deterrent plant lists. And I've heard a lot of gardening advice that says marigolds work too.


#23    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

    Feathered Feline

  • Member
  • 11,548 posts
  • Joined:18 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Planet Earth, Emerald Isle

  • Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

View Postrashore, on 10 March 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

I dunno how helpful this is or not...

But last year I tried using literbox leavings by one of the gardens to help keep critters away, and it helped a little, but I thought it kind of gross. I started using ammonia in the little weeds in my driveway cracks, and that seemed to scare off the squirrels for a while, and coons for quite a bit longer. I made a bunch of "scares"- tinsel attached to stakes- and that helped with the birds a lot and the squirrels a bit, but did pretty much nothing for the coons. And I didn't see a squirrel or coon on the redbud tree I hang finch feeders and orange spikes on after I wound the base with a heap of raspberry brambles I deadheaded out of the raspberry patch.
I also have a squirrel dedicated feeder in a tree that's a bit away from all the other temptations in the yard, and I think that helps a lot. Most of the chestnuts I try to collect are for later distribution to the squirrels, hehe. And I have a tiny meadow that helps keep all the critters happy and away from where I don't want them to be.

I haven't resorted to predator urine yet- we already have some in the area, and this is currently an astonishingly healthy ecosystem, so I don't want to put out false scents yet beyond what I tried with my cats litter.

I've just pretty much given up on the notion of corn till I can get a couple caged raised SQFT beds made with. This year we are working on getting our first three "regular" beds set up, the preliminary testing for the future hops pavillion, and hopefully a beehive set up and a couple bat boxes.

And with all the other critters going on, they aren't even my worst garden problem- I have had some success with deterring them all. VOLES are the terror of my yard. Oh my, I'm still trying to figure out friendly ways to get those things out of my yard. Other than spreading a bunch of poison several times a year. The only thing natural I've noticed is that they don't seem to disturb areas of wild chives as much, so I've been encouraging those to take over my yard, but it's really slow.

Ticks are also a big problem, but in a couple years we will start keeping a few hens, and that will go back down.
Mosquitoes are amazing, especially down by the pond. In general, they don't like me, as in everyone else is being eaten alive, and I'm not bit once. But these skeeters like me just as much, and everyone else even more. So we are planning in beds of bug deterrent borders all over the place too and hopefully will get the first major ones down to the firepit established this year.

And back around to squirrels... One of the main bedding plants we are using for bug deterrent is also purported to be rather unpleasantly scented to squirrels.. Marigolds. They seem to really pop up on the deterrent plant lists. And I've heard a lot of gardening advice that says marigolds work too.

Jees rashore! You sound like you are bombarded with rampaging rodents of all kinds!! I am feeling a little ashamed moaning about one ickle little squirrel!

(crawls off into a corner to hide)

Posted Image

#24    rashore

rashore

    Telekinetic

  • 7,205 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

We got teems of little critters.. But we got teems of critter eaters too. Lots of predator birds like at least three kinds of hawks and two kinds of owls, foxes, coyotes (I've howled the local pack a couple times, and it gives ya the willies), cougars- though I haven't heard of anything since the far neighbors horse was mauled a few years back..
So it sounds like we got a lot, but it's really not that much. Voles are my big complaint. And ooh, a snowfall or two ago we got to watch a thin coyote play a game of ponce and feed in the snow with a fat vole- it was awesome.

And you shouldn't feel bad about moaning one icky squirrel... Squirrels are like mice- if you see one, you got at least a dozen. In the city, those effers... grrrr, bane. In one home I owned, they got into the mud porch roof. I tried all sorts of crap to get them out, even put up metal bits- nothing. At the right time of year, re-sided the whole house and made sure the little buggers weren't there first- and the bastages ate holes through the siding the next spring to get back into their old ground!
In another urban house... I found the only things I could grow with some reasonable expectation of getting anything was fully caged tomatoes, hot peppers, squash, parsley and sage. Little turds ate anything else I planted. I burned through dozens of packets of legume seeds, and somehow even with caging they figured out how to get at them.

Edited by rashore, 10 March 2013 - 07:46 PM.


#25    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

    Feathered Feline

  • Member
  • 11,548 posts
  • Joined:18 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Planet Earth, Emerald Isle

  • Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

View Postrashore, on 10 March 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

We got teems of little critters.. But we got teems of critter eaters too. Lots of predator birds like at least three kinds of hawks and two kinds of owls, foxes, coyotes (I've howled the local pack a couple times, and it gives ya the willies), cougars- though I haven't heard of anything since the far neighbors horse was mauled a few years back..
So it sounds like we got a lot, but it's really not that much. Voles are my big complaint. And ooh, a snowfall or two ago we got to watch a thin coyote play a game of ponce and feed in the snow with a fat vole- it was awesome.

And you shouldn't feel bad about moaning one icky squirrel... Squirrels are like mice- if you see one, you got at least a dozen. In the city, those effers... grrrr, bane. In one home I owned, they got into the mud porch roof. I tried all sorts of crap to get them out, even put up metal bits- nothing. At the right time of year, re-sided the whole house and made sure the little buggers weren't there first- and the bastages ate holes through the siding the next spring to get back into their old ground!
In another urban house... I found the only things I could grow with some reasonable expectation of getting anything was fully caged tomatoes, hot peppers, squash, parsley and sage. Little turds ate anything else I planted. I burned through dozens of packets of legume seeds, and somehow even with caging they figured out how to get at them.

View Postrashore, on 10 March 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

We got teems of little critters.. But we got teems of critter eaters too. Lots of predator birds like at least three kinds of hawks and two kinds of owls, foxes, coyotes (I've howled the local pack a couple times, and it gives ya the willies), cougars- though I haven't heard of anything since the far neighbors horse was mauled a few years back..
So it sounds like we got a lot, but it's really not that much. Voles are my big complaint. And ooh, a snowfall or two ago we got to watch a thin coyote play a game of ponce and feed in the snow with a fat vole- it was awesome.

And you shouldn't feel bad about moaning one icky squirrel... Squirrels are like mice- if you see one, you got at least a dozen. In the city, those effers... grrrr, bane. In one home I owned, they got into the mud porch roof. I tried all sorts of crap to get them out, even put up metal bits- nothing. At the right time of year, re-sided the whole house and made sure the little buggers weren't there first- and the bastages ate holes through the siding the next spring to get back into their old ground!
In another urban house... I found the only things I could grow with some reasonable expectation of getting anything was fully caged tomatoes, hot peppers, squash, parsley and sage. Little turds ate anything else I planted. I burned through dozens of packets of legume seeds, and somehow even with caging they figured out how to get at them.

Where in heck are you rashore? Must be a wild and beautiful place, I am envious! I know they are a pain, but in the city they are kind of a treat in that they are rare to see.

Posted Image

#26    rashore

rashore

    Telekinetic

  • 7,205 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 10 March 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

Where in heck are you rashore? Must be a wild and beautiful place, I am envious! I know they are a pain, but in the city they are kind of a treat in that they are rare to see.

I live in the great lakes region of the midwest. My home states gather around Lake Michigan, I've never lived more than 30 miles away from it's shores :) Grew up rural, lived urban, now living rural again..  I currently live in one of the "20 minute drive from the boonies to get to tourist land- which you drove a couple hours away from the city to get away to" kind of areas, so a lot of the smaller sliced off properties are seasonal and owned by wealthier folks that like to keep their "boonies" just the way it is, with a bunch of farmers and folks like me peppered into it. We locals like to live our quiet lives, and the city folk that flood in like to keep us quaint and small for when getting away from the city to the the tourist trap isn't quite quiet or quaint enough...


#27    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

    Facebook Fiend

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Joined:25 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Middleton,Greater Manchester,UK

  • Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 10 March 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:


Not going to disagree with you!
It's probably one of the most accurate things you've heard said on this forum!

Edited by Medium Brown, 10 March 2013 - 11:13 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#28    Michelle

Michelle

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 15,259 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tennessee

  • Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:51 AM

Besides the fact that we get very little sun on this side of the mountain and can basically only grow moss, I have the same problems with critters as rashore. :D  If we had to survive by what we could grow we'd starve to death. About the only thing we can grow is mushrooms and we still have to fight the squirrels for them.


#29    Miss Shadows

Miss Shadows

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Joined:04 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Arizona

  • Welcome to my home. Now get the **** out.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

I don't want naggy family coming over to my place. Whose urine do I spray for that?

American with an accent, Christian with a tat, sociopath with a heart, child with no mother, Lover with no Lover, confidently doubting, amused but not laughing, woman but child, feisty yet caring, sweet when not bitter.

#30    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • Joined:16 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostMistydawn, on 10 March 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

AAAAARGH! Love the little rogue, but really, I want to.......! :gun:
Believe me, I know what you mean, Mistydawn. Those glorified "rats" are a pain in the... They love my succulents, especially haworthias.

Edited by braveone2u, 12 March 2013 - 07:24 AM.

https://www.youtube....ix3pVUX86yBWWzS  (playlist )    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008232820397

According to Gnosticism, Christ came to world to give us a way out; so, why is Gnosticism so secretive and elitist when it comes to salvation??




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users