Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Saudi Arabia may stop public beheadings

beheadings saudi arabia swordsmen

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,715 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Saudi Arabia is considering dropping public beheadings as a method of execution because of a shortage of government swordsmen in the oil-rich kingdom.

A joint Saudi committee composed of representatives of the ministries of interior,  justice and health has instead proposed firing squads for capital sentences.

The committee argued that the measure, if adopted, would not violate Islamic law, allowing heads - or emirs - of the country's 13 local administrative regions to begin using the new method when needed.

http://www.dailymail...-swordsmen.html

Posted Image

#2    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,591 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Well, isn't that nice of them....   :whistle:

Edited by pallidin, 11 March 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,695 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

In Midaeval Europe it was the privledge of the aristocracy to be beheded.  Ordinary people were hung.  I guess it's quicker and less choking, but the real pain is the mental pain leading up to it.  Needless to say one was careful to give the headsman a good tip so he would do a clean job of it.

My thinking about capital punishment has evolved from supporting its limited use to deciding it is counterproductive and barbaric to a somewhat middle position of saying that a few who have been convicted in proper courts of capital offenses might be ordered executed by the Head of Government of a state (so as to allow really heinous offenses to bring about this result without all the bureacratic mess that happens nowadays).

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,695 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

A method of execution that does not mutilate the body is preferred, out of respect for family.  I don't think the executed much cares.

#5    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,612 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

'Tis comforting to know we have some nice, civilized 'allies' in the fight against those barbaric terrorists.

#6    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Love the fact that if this was Afghanistan or somewhere the media dislikes for their war mongering agenda his story would be made out to be worse and there would be a bigger commotion.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#7    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

I'm still allowed to stone people to death though.. right!!

Posted Image

#8    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Public execution has absolutely nothing to do with punishment IMO, and everything to do with maintaining control. the more barbaric the method the more fear can be instilled

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,695 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Fear works on most people, but the typical criminal rationalizes and persuades himself he can get away with it.  For this reason gruesome public executions have never been an effective deterrent.

#10    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 11 March 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Fear works on most people, but the typical criminal rationalizes and persuades himself he can get away with it.  For this reason gruesome public executions have never been an effective deterrent.
Then why have them in public..its not needed  to punish a crime, unless the spectacle is for the public to witness, as for it being an effective deterrent  I don't think I mentioned it being effective, only that being their purpose.

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,695 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

People realize such things are a deterrent to them, and so assume it will deter everyone else.  Common fallacy.

#12    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,361 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Why not just hit the next cosplay convention - plenty of swordsmen there.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#13    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,938 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:53 AM

I think if I had to be executed I'd prefer beheading with a sword.  I saw a movie about a commando group of Brits, Kiwis and Aussies (I think) that were inserted into a harbor in WWII, sank some vessels at anchor, escaped and tried it again a few months later but were caught.  They were held until just a few weeks before the war ended then were executed by the Japanese.  They reportedly were horrified by the idea of beheading and asked fervently to be killed by firing squad.  The Japanese thought they were honoring them to give them a Samurai's death.  Beheading done correctly is probably the most "humane" execution method available.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,695 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

I dunno; I'd like to keep my head on my body.  Just seems more tidy.  Also, headless ghosts seem a huge inconvenience.

#15    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,612 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

View Postand then, on 12 March 2013 - 01:53 AM, said:

Beheading done correctly is probably the most "humane" execution method available.

How about 'Death by sawing'?  (lol)

"The term "death by sawing" indicates the act of sawing a living person in half, either longitudinally, or transversely, through the central body mass...."
http://en.wikipedia....Death_by_sawing

Edited by Eldorado, 12 March 2013 - 08:29 AM.

Also tagged with beheadings, saudi arabia, swordsmen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users