Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Forum pages slow loading

OverSword

I've noticed for a week or more that when I go into the forum pages about 50% of the time they are extremely slow loading and sometimes time out an require reloading the page. I don't have this problem at all going to the home page just the forum pages.

• Like 8

There are no currently known issues that should be abnormally affecting forum load times.

Where specifically are you experiencing this, are you reading through threads with hundreds of pages ?

yes, there's been quite a few complaints about this lately. Just yesterday, in fact, people were talking about it, and it's been doing that for quite a while for me, and lately it's hardly been working at all for me lately; every time I try to click on a thread or go to another page or post something, it often takes ages or doesn't work at all. It can get rather annoying. It doesn't matter if athread has 500 pages or two posts. I'm using Internet Exploiter; I haven't tried another Browser, but I suppose I might do & see what happens.

• Like 1

It's not necessarily when I'm going onto a thread. For example when I saw that you had replied (saru) Iwent to check and it timed out. So then I reloaded the UM home page and it came right up, from there I clicked this forum and it took 30 seconds or so before this thread loaded.

I'm also experiencing speed issues. Most noticeably when I hit the "More Reply Options" or "Preview Post" buttons, the post preview window loads fairly quickly but the editing window goes blank and it can be many seconds before that text reappears, frustrating if I notice a typo I need to correct.

I've just tried it on this post, after hitting "More Reply Options" the page looked like this:

slowo.jpg

It remained like that for around 20 seconds before I could type more or edit.

Slow here for me as well. Even clicking the 'like' button sometimes sends the page spinning and the 'like' never takes hold.

It's happening randomly with me though. Sometimes things load right up.

I've tried clearing my cache and flushing the DNS too.

• Like 3

I have similar problems. At first I thought it’s my connection, but it’s not – sometimes any other site I’m visiting works fine, only UM takes too long to load. Not all the time, it comes and goes.

• Like 3

It's happening to me right now, it takes at least about half a minute to load any page, it has let me like Biff’s post but won’t accept my like on OverSword’s post... so if it’s disliked, that’s because I tried liking it again and it didn’t show... also won't show all smileys... :huh:

Edit: and cut me off completely a minute ago. won't accept this edit. other sites work fine.

Edited by Helen of Annoy

It's working fine for me.

I know I’m boring already, but in case this is of any use in troubleshooting:

I’m using Google Chrome, I’ve dropped out UM for the third time today with message Error 103 “This web page is not available”.

Then it lets me back, slowly, then slows down even more, can’t show half of icons, smileys and such and finally cuts me off with error 103.

I’ll try later.

Having problems aswell for about a week now.

• Like 1

I hope UM wasn't sequestered. :whistle:

• Like 2

These issues sound more like packet loss and routing issues rather than a performance issue with the server.

I'll run it by our host's support department, see if there's a problem with the network somewhere.

• Like 2

I don't usually get an error message, what usually happens is that the grey background to the page will load, but it won't go any further, so the only thing to do is load it again. If this helps at all.

I'm having the same issues as the other guys.

• Like 1

These issues sound more like packet loss and routing issues rather than a performance issue with the server.

I'll run it by our host's support department, see if there's a problem with the network somewhere.

My ping times are pretty good to UM from Central New York State. I'm averaging around 29ms pings.

10 hops on a tracert my end to your end.

I am definitely getting ping timeouts though. Usually within the first 20 pings.

i been having extremely slow performance lately on UM

however i also have bad connection so i never bothered to know weather the issue my connection or the site

but there was times when UM take awefull time to load while at same time i try other site and loads up fine

Same here. I mentioned it last night on my status and was going to mention it to Saru but I couldn't get a new topic loaded.

• Like 1

It's been working fine so far. Apart from one point in the morning at 8.34am on the dot.There are other times when it dosn't work but usually that's later about night- time.But it's got nothing to do with the connection here because all my other websites have been knocked off.It's telling me to re- boot the Safari browser so I go to settings and knock on and off both the " airplane" and " Wi- Fi" modes.I even get a reminder in the form of a box that's totally independent of whatever happens here.I also get that ping but I pay it no mind.Tbh I thought it was just telling me about an incoming E- Mail.

Edited by Medium Brown

Just happened to me again when I went from a short-ish thread I'd been reading, back to the main list of forums.

It's been happening to me for the last week or so also.

In fact, I just clicked for page 2 to write this, and it hung for like 30 sec, then said "Cannot Display Web Page)

Oddly enough, everytime this has been happening, the F5 button pops me back in immediately, to the correct page !

No problems at all with any other sites such as CNN or Foxnews.

Weird.

Edited by pallidin

Ok so I've been talking to our host's technical support department and they've had a look at the server, there's doesn't appear to be anything wrong on this end at all - both the site and the server are in good shape with no load, performance or network issues.

What I think is happening is that there's a network/routing issue with a server/node somewhere else that is generating packet loss for some users when they try to access the site here, we've seen this happen before on occasion and unfortunately it's completely out of our control - network problems happen a lot and these can affect different sites for different people at different times.

• Like 2

OK, makes sense. And guess what? All seem's to be normal for me now again.

phantom quotes ?

nobody got unexplainable double post quoted when quoting a post once ?

happened on updates too ... just me ??