Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Forum pages slow loading

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#61    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,839 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

Now that the database problem has been fixed I can get back to this again.

I've had a technician from our hosting provider look at the server again to see if there's a problem and like the last time he wasn't able to find anything. There's clearly an issue somewhere because too many people are reporting slow loading times and I'm also seeing similar issues at my end.

The facts as it stands:

1. There is no performance issue with the server hardware.

2. The same slow loading/timeouts were reported about six weeks ago and then vanished within a couple of days without any intervention from us. A technician had also told us at the time that there was nothing wrong with the server that could explain it.

3. The problem doesn't seem to be affecting everyone.

4. Some people are affected worse than others - some get timeouts, for others the site just loads slow.

5. The prevailing theory is there's an network/node outside of our hosting provider that keeps experiencing problems resulting in packet loss for some users and that there's nothing we can do aside from waiting for them to fix it.

I'm open at this point to any suggestions from anyone who has any other ideas/theories to explain what might be causing this or what action we can take to resolve it. I imagine we may have some technical minds on the forums who can offer their thoughts on it.

#62    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,255 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

maybe get a time zone charted to isolate the peak periods of complaints then isolate the node mirrors ?

I noticed for the past week or so the some spam bots kinda show up on schedule , around 11pm to 1am and 9am to 11am my time GMT+8

I'm on wireless BB and the slow loads kinda happens on the 'communicating' with the server sending / receiving cycles, the page just pops right up after an initial pause.

~edit : oversight

Edited by third_eye, 25 April 2013 - 11:11 PM.

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#63    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

Google Chrome really speeded things up for me. Having said that tonight I couldn't even load UM at all. Hope it sorts out for you Saru and thanks for your efforts.

Edited by Star of the Sea, 25 April 2013 - 11:13 PM.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#64    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

3. The problem doesn't seem to be affecting everyone.

I find this to be the strange thing about it TBH
I would of thought that some error etc would affect everyone, not just some member's

4. Some people are affected worse than others - some get timeouts, for others the site just loads slow.

Most of the time the site just loads slow, sometimes it load's reeeeal slow and at other times I just close it down due to waiting so long or because it wont load up, no matter how much I try

Just a thought,
Is it possible that somebody is doing this on purpose ? (not trying to start a CT here but it does seem weird)

Posted Image

#65    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,980 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

View PostJackofalltrades, on 25 April 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

I find this to be the strange thing about it TBH
I would of thought that some error etc would affect everyone, not just some member's

Most of the time the site just loads slow, sometimes it load's reeeeal slow and at other times I just close it down due to waiting so long or because it wont load up, no matter how much I try

Just a thought,
Is it possible that somebody is doing this on purpose ? (not trying to start a CT here but it does seem weird)

I second this motion. It has happend to quite a few sites that allow conspiracies to be debated recently. Is there any way to find out?

Edited by Professor Buzzkill, 25 April 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#66    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,839 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

Jackofalltrades said:

Is it possible that somebody is doing this on purpose ?

It's possible, however if it is then it isn't a typical denial of service attack, our incoming traffic is normal.

third_eye said:

I noticed for the past week or so the some spam bots kinda show up on schedule , around 11pm to 1am and 9am to 11am my time GMT+8

In order for spam bots to be the cause then they would need to be creating a problem either by there being so many of them that the bandwidth is clogged up (denial of service) or by creating a heavy load on the server. Neither appears to be happening, plus we've been dealing with spam for years without seeing this type of problem.

Star of the Sea said:

Having said that tonight I couldn't even load UM at all.

The site was down this evening for a couple of hours due to a problem with the database, however this wasn't related to the speed issue.

#67    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 25 April 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

I second this motion. It has happend to quite a few sites that allow conspiracies to be debated recently. Is there any way to find out?

Those few sites and what has happened to them is the reason why I was asking plus the fact that IF it was our own PC's or connection's (which at first I was starting to think it might be) it would happen on ALL sites NOT just UM

Posted Image

#68    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,605 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

I was getting this error earlier when accessing the Forum Pages.

UMError.jpg

Edited by BiffSplitkins, 26 April 2013 - 12:03 AM.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#69    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

The site was down for a while earlier due to a problem with the database from what Saru said in post #66

Posted Image

#70    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,520 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:34 AM

Ah ha! I swear, immediately after the site came back online this afternoon my time, it was 10x faster and it seems to be operating flawlessly now.

Edited by MissMelsWell, 26 April 2013 - 01:35 AM.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#71    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:05 AM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 26 April 2013 - 01:34 AM, said:

Ah ha! I swear, immediately after the site came back online this afternoon my time, it was 10x faster and it seems to be operating flawlessly now.

Wish I could say the same :cry:

Posted Image

#72    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,126 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

Well, I'm pleased to see that a conspiracy theory seems to be being generated.

Does the reply box look different? No icons or anything.

:-?

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 26 April 2013 - 06:42 AM.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#73    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,126 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

Well, they seem to be back now. They weren't there a moment ago. This is proof of something, I'm sure.

:cry:

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#74    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,255 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 26 April 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

Well, they seem to be back now. They weren't there a moment ago. This is proof of something, I'm sure.

:cry:

OMG!! Colonel !!

They're coming for you !!!

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#75    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

I knew they would follow me back here?

Joking aside.. All is good at this end, I have experienced no problems at all, apart from last night when the server told me I wasn't wanted anymore. I actually thought someone had hacked the site.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users