Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Does anyone build their own here?


  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31    F3SS

F3SS

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,480 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh, Pa

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

I considered building recently. Seemed like fun but too much of an experiment for me to justify the money. I got an $800 HP desktop with 10G ddr3 ram, amd six core whatever the hell that means, TB hard drive, readon 1G graphics. It works, It's sick, it's fast, it's quiet as a Mac. I'll run Total War Shogun 2 full settings no problem except maybe a little lag in multi-thousand character battles on played on 3x speed. I've heard it can run Battle Field 3 maxed out which is supposed to be the ultimate test to date. I know the joy of building something on your own but for similar or less money you can buy a blazing PC with a warranty so that's the road I took. My last and still around PC was an HP from 2004. Everything but the motherboard and the case has been upgraded or replaced throughout the years and it's still a great computer. Very future friendly.

Posted Image

#32    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 5,181 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 16 March 2013 - 02:36 AM, said:

I considered building recently. Seemed like fun but too much of an experiment for me to justify the money. I got an $800 HP desktop with 10G ddr3 ram, amd six core whatever the hell that means, TB hard drive, readon 1G graphics. It works, It's sick, it's fast, it's quiet as a Mac. I'll run Total War Shogun 2 full settings no problem except maybe a little lag in multi-thousand character battles on played on 3x speed. I've heard it can run Battle Field 3 maxed out which is supposed to be the ultimate test to date. I know the joy of building something on your own but for similar or less money you can buy a blazing PC with a warranty so that's the road I took. My last and still around PC was an HP from 2004. Everything but the motherboard and the case has been upgraded or replaced throughout the years and it's still a great computer. Very future friendly.

The cool thing about building is you never buy a new computer.  You update parts as you go.  Start with a high quality case, power supply, ODD and HDD and build the system from there.  As technology changes you swap things in and out.  My LIan Li cases and PC Power & Cooling PSU's are all 8-10 years old now and running fine.  When things are on sale at the Egg I buy them and replace.

Tech support is BS after you build because it is your system and you go to the forums and ask and then learn.  The other nice thing is there is no garbage on our systems.  There is the OS and whatever we want on there, nothing else.

If you want to build later let us now and we'll help with parts.  You'll get ten different opinions but they'll all work and NEVER go cheap on PSU's and cases becaus ethey last for years.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#33    F3SS

F3SS

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,480 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh, Pa

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

Appreciate that. I did plenty of research and forum scanning about it. I was worried about something not working. I was able to upgrade my old PC for 9 years. If that's anything to go by I'll probably get back to you on that around the year 2020 give or take. So long as I can play games smooth and detailed and use photoshop I'm good.

Posted Image

#34    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 5,181 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:34 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 16 March 2013 - 03:09 AM, said:

Appreciate that. I did plenty of research and forum scanning about it. I was worried about something not working. I was able to upgrade my old PC for 9 years. If that's anything to go by I'll probably get back to you on that around the year 2020 give or take. So long as I can play games smooth and detailed and use photoshop I'm good.

Just ask, we'll design one for you that will blow anything else you can buy from a dealer up.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#35    Maureen_jacobs

Maureen_jacobs

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Joined:16 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:48 AM

Starting on my fourth build.


Case
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Hybrid Computer Case FD-CA-NODE-304-BL
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS
Memory
CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M2A1600C10B
Processor
Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz

So far these are ordered.  Still researching more.

@maureen_jacobs ~ twitter

#36    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 5,181 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

View PostMaureen_jacobs, on 17 March 2013 - 02:48 AM, said:

Starting on my fourth build.


Case
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Hybrid Computer Case FD-CA-NODE-304-BL
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS
Memory
CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M2A1600C10B
Processor
Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz

So far these are ordered.  Still researching more.

That looks awesome Maureen.  The ITX realm has become a fun place to build. There realy is no limit to the power you can have a in a very small case. I built a few AMD APU models for a customer and some mini-ITX as well and they were amazing.  WHat will ot be for and are you adding discrete graphics?

Edited by Merc14, 17 March 2013 - 03:08 AM.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#37    Maureen_jacobs

Maureen_jacobs

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Joined:16 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

Honestly, we need another computer.  6 is not enough.  Lol.  Our others have served us well, but it is tips to upgrade the living room computer as it needs more power.  My 11 yo has ventured into the world of 3d creations using a program called Blender.

Our other systems are fine for most folks, but we do a lot of gaming.  The one thing this entire family enjoys is computer gaming together.  We have been LAN partying since before the young uns came along.  We need a fourth system for me.  Lol

Someone always gets left out.  Namely me.

Oops, haven't decided on a Video Card yet, however, I will be finding one that will carry us.  FYI, the 11 yo helped build his over 3 years ago.  He will build this one as well.


Edited to answer question ....

Edited by Maureen_jacobs, 17 March 2013 - 10:20 AM.

@maureen_jacobs ~ twitter

#38    TheLogic

TheLogic

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined:08 Oct 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The UK

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Does anyone have some suggestions on a pc gaming build to make for a really low budget in the UK?


#39    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 5,181 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostMaureen_jacobs, on 17 March 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

Honestly, we need another computer.  6 is not enough.  Lol.  Our others have served us well, but it is tips to upgrade the living room computer as it needs more power.  My 11 yo has ventured into the world of 3d creations using a program called Blender.

Our other systems are fine for most folks, but we do a lot of gaming.  The one thing this entire family enjoys is computer gaming together.  We have been LAN partying since before the young uns came along.  We need a fourth system for me.  Lol

Someone always gets left out.  Namely me.

Oops, haven't decided on a Video Card yet, however, I will be finding one that will carry us.  FYI, the 11 yo helped build his over 3 years ago.  He will build this one as well.


Edited to answer question ....
LAN Party with the family sounds like fun.  My 7 year old is interested in building yet but I am hoping he gets into it when he starts playing real computer games.

View PostTheLogic, on 17 March 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Does anyone have some suggestions on a pc gaming build to make for a really low budget in the UK?

We need your budget and will you  need a monitor and other peripherals.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#40    TheLogic

TheLogic

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined:08 Oct 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The UK

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

About £200 and no monitor or peripherals required.


#41    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 5,181 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostTheLogic, on 17 March 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

About £200 and no monitor or peripherals required.
You're going to hav eto look into used parts.  Find a forum that buys and sells parts and work with them

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#42    TheLogic

TheLogic

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined:08 Oct 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The UK

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

Hmm...
Is there any parts you recommend to look for?
I have a graphics card and sound card already.
and a hard drive.
I just need the rest.


#43    Maureen_jacobs

Maureen_jacobs

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Joined:16 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Case
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Hybrid Computer Case FD-CA-NODE-304-BL
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS
Memory
CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M2A1600C10B
Processor
Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz


New parts ordered:

Cooling
Corsair Hydro Series H90 140 mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Hard Drive
WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX

Power supply
SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply SSR-550RM

Still trying to find the right video card

@maureen_jacobs ~ twitter

#44    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 5,181 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostTheLogic, on 17 March 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

Hmm...
Is there any parts you recommend to look for?
I have a graphics card and sound card already.
and a hard drive.
I just need the rest.
What graphics card?

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#45    TheLogic

TheLogic

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined:08 Oct 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The UK

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users