Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Falkland Islanders vote to remain British

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,961 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-argentina.html

So only three people voted no to keep ties with British in a 92% voter turnout. This should be the end of it but seems Argentinan government still refuses to see the writing on the wall. Frankly their repeated claims of imperialism is rather ironic since they want to take over the islands against the wishes of the locals.

Edited by Corp, 12 March 2013 - 03:53 PM.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,970 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

It's clear that the President of Argentina does not care about the people, now what is she going to do? say the vote was rigged?

#3    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

They knew too much about flying saucers!

• 27,548 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

The funniest thing is this piece of logic, of the kind usually seem from proponents of the "we never went to the moon" and suchlike conspiracies:

[from the Beeb]:

"Writing in Clarin, a popular daily newspaper in Argentina, former cabinet chief Rodolfo Terragno said the people of the Falkland Islands had "proved Argentina right".
"Great Britain can no longer say the inhabitants of the Falklands are a third party in the Anglo-Argentine conflict. The islanders have confessed they are British," he wrote.
"They cannot decide which of the two countries is right. They would be judge and jury."
So the population should have no say in deciding, because they'd be biased?
:blink:

Edited by Lord Vetinari, 12 March 2013 - 03:52 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#4    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

YAY!!!!!!  

Edited by Armchair Educated, 12 March 2013 - 04:13 PM.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#5    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostCorp, on 12 March 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

This should be the end of it but seems Argentinan government still refuses to see the writing on the wall.

I wouldn't worry about that.  Once a few RAF Typhoons and Royal Navy Daring-class destroyers - the world's most powerful air defence destroyers - shoot down a few of their balsa wood planes, they'll start to see sense.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 12 March 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#6    Bama13

Bama13

Poltergeist

• 2,314 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostCorp, on 12 March 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-argentina.html

So only three people voted no to keep ties with British in a 92% voter turnout. This should be the end of it but seems Argentinan government still refuses to see the writing on the wall. Frankly their repeated claims of imperialism is rather ironic since they want to take over the islands against the wishes of the locals.

Not real familiar with the history of the Falklands but if you settle your people in an area and force the locals to leave, then claim that the inhabitants want you to rule the place, it seems a bit disingenuous to me. Sounds like what the British did in Northern Ireland, or what the Americans did in the US. But, as I said, I'm not too familiar with their history so perhaps that isn't the case in the Falklands.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#7    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostBama13, on 12 March 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Not real familiar with the history of the Falklands but if you settle your people in an area and force the locals to leave, then claim that the inhabitants want you to rule the place, it seems a bit disingenuous to me. Sounds like what the British did in Northern Ireland, or what the Americans did in the US. But, as I said, I'm not too familiar with their history so perhaps that isn't the case in the Falklands.

Enlighten me as to what "locals", apart from a few penguins, were on the islands when the British claimed and settled them?

And, going by your argument, the Argentineans should go back to Spain and give the land back to the Guarani.  Because the Spanish (the Argentinians) cannot settle in an area and then force the locals to leave, after all.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 12 March 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#8    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

• 27,548 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostBama13, on 12 March 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

I don't know if you're referring to the british or the Argentinas, but there was no native population there at all when the first settlers landed. It was discovered (probably) by a British in 1690, and the first settlers were actually from France. Then the Spanish set up a colony but then left again, (they probably didn't like the weather), and a permanent colony was finally established by the British in the 1840s. read the full exciting story of the remarkably complicated history of La Isla Bonita- I mean malvinas here! --> http://en.wikipedia....alkland_Islands

Edited by Lord Vetinari, 12 March 2013 - 05:38 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#9    Bama13

Bama13

Poltergeist

• 2,314 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

I admitted that I didn't know a lot about the Falklands, and that what I wrote might not be the case there. Apparently it is not the case there. Thanks for the info.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#10    .AKUMA.

.AKUMA.

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

• The True Warrior Enters The Arena with all his powers
    At the Ready.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 12 March 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

I wouldn't worry about that.  Once a few RAF Typhoons and Royal Navy Daring-class destroyers - the world's most powerful air defence destroyers - shoot down a few of their balsa wood planes, they'll start to see sense.

Yup the type 45 destroyers are the most advance in the world, argentinas armed forces as a whole suck!

One World, One Order

The Greatest Accomplishment of the Devil, Was Convincing the world he doesn't Exist.

#11    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 12 March 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

I don't know if you're referring to the british or the Argentinas, but there was no native population there at all when the first settlers landed. It was discovered (probably) by a British in 1690, and the first settlers were actually from France. Then the Spanish set up a colony but then left again, (they probably didn't like the weather), and a permanent colony was finally established by the British in the 1840s. read the full exciting story of the remarkably complicated history of La Isla Bonita- I mean malvinas here! --> http://en.wikipedia....alkland_Islands

You've got your history wrong.

The British first established a colony on the islands in 1765 - BEFORE the Spanish arrived there and before Argentina even existed.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 12 March 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#12    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

• 27,548 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 12 March 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

You've got your history wrong.

The British first established a colony on the islands in 1765 - BEFORE the Spanish arrived there and before Argentina even existed.
Well, strictly speaking the French were there first. They say
In 1690, Captain John Strong of the Welfare en route to Puerto Deseado was driven off course and reached the Falkland Islands instead, landing at Bold Cove. Sailing between the two principal islands, he called the passage "Falkland Channel" (now Falkland Sound), after Anthony Cary, 5th Viscount Falkland, who as Commissioner of the Admiralty had financed the expedition. The island group takes its English name from this body of water.[18]
In 1764, French navigator and military commander Louis Antoine de Bougainville founded the first settlement on Berkeley Sound, in present-day Port Louis, East Falkland.[19] In 1765, British captain John Byron explored and claimed Saunders Island on West Falkland, where he named the harbour Port Egmont and a settlement was constructed in 1766.[20] Unaware of the French presence, Byron claimed the island group for King George III. Spain acquired the French colony in 1767, and placed it under a governor subordinate to the Buenos Aires colonial administration. In 1770, Spain attacked Port Egmont and expelled the British presence, bringing the two countries to the brink of war. War was avoided by a peace treaty and the British return to Port Egmont.[21]

if we really want to be pendantic.

Edited by Lord Vetinari, 12 March 2013 - 08:20 PM.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#13    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,970 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

see Argentina has no claim

#14    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 13,215 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:21 AM

So Britain retains a paltry scrap of what was once a feast the sun never went down on.   Pass me a flag and hand me a Kleenex.

The actual history of the Falklands from the beginning:
http://en.wikipedia....ds#15th_century

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#15    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 13,100 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:30 AM

The Argintians are nucking futs.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users