Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Strange experiences when young

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Paradoxum

Paradoxum

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 111 posts

• "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hello UM!

As I’ve been browsing this site for a while and after reading many of the members’ posts on here I thought I’d finally sign up and share with you all my experiences from when I was young.

I was around 10-11 years old at the time of these activities, living in a 3 bedroom house on the outskirts of Norwich, England. I shared the house with my younger brother, sister, mum and dad and talking to them about this many years later they have said they never experienced anything out of the ordinary at that time. The house was an ordinary terrace house on a council estate, nothing remarkable, and was built in the 1950’s. I shared a large room with my younger brother and had bunk beds, me sleeping in the top bunk and my little brother in the lower one.

It is difficult to remember when precisely it all started but how it did still is fresh in my memory. It started at night, with unexplained creaks, bumps and bangs I could hear when everyone was asleep. Nothing unusual for a house of that age and with neighbours on either side of the house it could have been them. I remember being very aware of the noises but not concerned about them until a pattern seemed to emerge. Over a period of weeks, maybe months, the creaks always seemed to being at the bottom of the stairs at night and slowly move up the stairs. I could hear them very clearly and it certainly sounded as though someone was sneaking up the staircase. Once noise reached the top of the stairs  these “steps” would slowly head towards my bedroom. They always stopped at the door and never seemed to come into the room. This was a very common event but did not happen every night. Occasionally I would muster the courage to open the door and see if anyone was there and on each occasion I looked everyone was in bed and nothing was to be seen that could have caused it. I have to say being so young, and with a very vivid imagination, I used to be extremely frightened and often struggled to get to sleep.

Around the same time as these unexplained footsteps some very strange events happened.

Firstly I was asleep one night and upon waking in the morning I was in bed facing the back wall laying on my side. On waking I gradually opened my eyes and was really confused to see that the wallpaper was different to what it should have been. I don’t remember the pattern now but it was completely different to what it should have been. I remember rubbing my eyes to wake up, but it was still the same, so I rolled over and looked down into the bedroom. To my utter amazement I saw two small children, aged around 3-4, playing on the floor with some toys. The whole room looked different but the standard features of the house, such as the position of the door and the windows, were the same. Being just awake and utterly surprised at what I saw I was shocked into just staying completely still and watched them. They were playing for about 10 seconds before it seemed the 2 children became aware of me. They looked up at me in the top bunk of the bed, looking as shocked to see me as I was to see them. They opened their mouths as if to scream and the whole room flashed back to normal, back to the way it should have been. I was utterly shocked by this and the only way I can attempt to  explain it is that I was dreaming. Although I have never had a dream anything like this before or since. It is also very odd for me as I seldom dream but I can still vividly remember the incident even now 30 years later.

The second incident was a lot more disturbing. I’m not sure of the length of time between the “dream” and this but we are talking weeks instead of months. In my bedroom there used to be a very heavy wooden dressing table, about 3 feet tall with a 2 foot mirror on top of it. It had been there as far back as I can remember and we often used to get dressed and ready in front of it. One particular morning I was getting dressed the same as any other day and the whole dresser moved about 2-3 inches from the wall. I completely froze in panic for probably 5-10 seconds and pushed it back as hard as I could before running out of the room. I was utterly pooping myself. The funny part about this, I remember her exact words to this day, my mum shouted up at me from downstairs “Stop pushing the bloody furniture about!”, to which I replied “It wasn’t even me the first time!!!” To this day I have no rational explanation for this.

Lastly, the frequency of bumps and bangs increased and also now happened during the day but it was always when my parents were not around. For the last event that happened, I was alone downstairs in the living room watching TV and there were countless bangs and thumps coming from my bedroom which was directly upstairs. I was incredibly scared but as these kind of things had been happening for quite a long period of time I was starting to get p***ed off and angry with whatever it was making this noise and only happened when I was alone. I certainly wouldn’t call myself religious in any sense of the word, but my parents used to send me and my siblings to Sunday School every week so they could have a peaceful Sunday morning!. I remember standing at the bottom of the staircase and uncharacteristically shouting up the stairs “Leave me alone, get out of my house, why are you here as Jesus has won!” Or something to that effect. I feel I truly believed it at the time and shouted it with all my feeling, both my fear and anger being released at the same time.  I then remember leaving the house. Since that day and until the day I moved out of the house many years later, I never again heard any more thumps, creaks, bangs or saw any “dreams” or unexplained movement.

I have a completely open mind as to what this may have been and welcome your views on my experience.

Apologies for the essay!

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - A. Einstein

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,450 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Have you ever attempted to look up the history of the house or property?

I've seen a ghost before so I'm not going to say you didn't see anything but could you of been asleep?  I think some people can see things where others can't for some unknown reason.

Welcome to the forum.

#3    Paradoxum

Paradoxum

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Hi Hilander,

The whole estate used to be used as a WW2 airfield before it was built from what I understand so whether or not that has a bearing on it I couldn't say. I definitely agree that the children playing could well have been a dream, but the moving wardrobe was certainly when I was awake getting dressed. I've not experienced anything like it before or since!

And thanks for the welcome :)

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - A. Einstein

#4    JewelsNewland

JewelsNewland

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• Trust me... I'm a doctor.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Those are some amazing experiences. Honestly, I completely understand.
I lived in a house for a few years that belonged to my grandparents and had been a focal point to many paranormal experiences.

one for example, was there was a clock that was given to my grandmother by her brother. Beautiful clock. It did not work. It still does not work. But my family was going through some severely hard times and the amount of ghost sightings in that house was outragious. Anyways, I was angry because I knew someone was in the house, I was home alone, and I yelled in the middle of the dining room (where this clock was) "DAMN IT, IF SOMEONE IS OUT THERE JUST LET US KNOW! WE ARE DROWNING DOWN HERE!" Within a second, the clock on the shelf started dinging, and it dinged for 15 dings. It has no working bell, no battery, and no wind up mechanism. It was just a broken pretty clock.

It sounds like to me that it was just the house you lived in that was haunted. Still very cool experiences.

#5    Paradoxum

Paradoxum

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hi Jewels, that does sound very similar! Very spooky about the non-working clock responding to your "order".. For want of a better expression, you must have pooped yourself :) Did the incidences stop after that or did they fade once the hard times were over? Thanks for sharing that!

#6    JewelsNewland

JewelsNewland

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• Trust me... I'm a doctor.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

View PostMurk, on 15 March 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

Hi Jewels, that does sound very similar! Very spooky about the non-working clock responding to your "order".. For want of a better expression, you must have pooped yourself :) Did the incidences stop after that or did they fade once the hard times were over? Thanks for sharing that!

Actually to this day, since the clock first "dinged" . It will still Ding, just once or twice, every once in awhile. I don't know who is the one doing it, but whomever is communicating with us, likes to let us know they are still there. It scared me half to death the first time. I was absolutely terrified. After 10 years of it happening now, its not as scary. But I do try and pay attention to the ding, try and pin point what I was thinking about when it happens. :)

#7    Paradoxum

Paradoxum

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostJewelsNewland, on 16 March 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

Actually to this day, since the clock first "dinged" . It will still Ding, just once or twice, every once in awhile. I don't know who is the one doing it, but whomever is communicating with us, likes to let us know they are still there. It scared me half to death the first time. I was absolutely terrified. After 10 years of it happening now, its not as scary. But I do try and pay attention to the ding, try and pin point what I was thinking about when it happens. :)

That is very odd! Maybe the mechanism is either partially working still or something is trying to get your attention. I'd have probably got rid of the clock ages ago :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users