Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Sunday elections in UK instead of Thursdays

elections sunday thursday eu

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,279 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

Britain could be forced to hold European elections on Sundays as part of a blatant EU bid to erase our long democratic tradition.

For 72 years, elections to Westminster have been held on a Thursday, with local elections also being held on the first Thursday in May.

Proposals from the European Commission would see the UK having to fall in line behind most of the continent, where elections are held on Sundays.

http://www.dailymail...est-Europe.html

Posted Image

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,593 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

If I wanted to keep my elections on Thursday I would.  Why in the world would the EU care anyway?

#3    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:31 AM

We don't want political union with the EUSSR,Cameron should give two fingers to them and to be quite Frank, hardly anyone votes on a Thursday,so even less would turn out on a Sunday.

Ashley Fox MEP, Conservative spokesman on EU constitutional affairs, said: ‘There is no need for an elected President of Europe because there is no country called Europe. Only sovereign countries need an elected head of state, whereas the EU is an international organisation.’

Edited by shaddow134, 13 March 2013 - 02:04 AM.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#4    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Inspired.Primary school kids are going to grab an extra day at school.Well you know what they say about education leading to a healthy mind.Not too shabby indeed from the Eurocrats unless they decide to ruin the effect by foisting Monopoly money and more immigrants on us.

Well it would be if I actially believed in the due process of the voting system.However I don't because what have these politicians done for me?This government and the previous one have sold Remploy down the river.They legistrated that stupid smoking ban.They still fiddle their expenses despite claims to the contrary.So why would I waste two precious minutes of my time to vote for somebody that will screw me in the short and long terms?They even try to fine you  if you don't even sign your name on the electroral roll.I have a right to opt out of it which I have done for the last 15 years or so.Even before the troubles at Remploy I couldn't be bothered then but I don't think that was because of any polictical reason.I've opened my eyes since!Even though it's not their own idea I bet our current polictians are actually loving this.It means they can get more gullible plebs to vote for them.The turnout at the polling station will be huge.

Edited by Medium Brown, 13 March 2013 - 08:56 AM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#5    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

View PostHilander, on 12 March 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

Why in the world would the EU care anyway?

Because it wants to interfere with every aspects of our lives and make everything uniform across the EU.

So if the other 26 Member States have General Elections on Sundays then the British should stop being "different" and start holding theirs on Sundays, too, instead of the traditional Thursdays.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 13 March 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#6    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

View Postshaddow134, on 13 March 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

Cameron should give two fingers to them

Posted Image

The Sun, Thursday 1st November 1990

#7    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 13 March 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

Posted Image

Cameron will actually be sending them a peace sign instead!

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#8    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Good! Thursday is a pointless day on which nothing of interest ever happens.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#9    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 13 March 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

Posted Image

Jesus, look how many words they used to have on their front page!  And not a celebrity in sight!

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#10    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostWalter White, on 13 March 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Jesus, look how many words they used to have on their front page!  And not a celebrity in sight!

You can tell how old it is because the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were all the rage back then and they're on the front page.  It brings back memories of my childhood.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 13 March 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#11    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,258 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

Thursday was always a very stupid day to hold General or local elections because for your average Joe this was a working day. It did the job of lowering turnouts however with only those able, after a "hard day in the Office" to go out and vote. If you are working a Shift System (possibly 12 hour shifts) then voting will mostly take second place add to that the fact that the Electoral System makes your vote almost worthless anyway then why even bother?

#12    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,911 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 13 March 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Thursday was always a very stupid day to hold General or local elections because for your average Joe this was a working day. It did the job of lowering turnouts however with only those able, after a "hard day in the Office" to go out and vote. If you are working a Shift System (possibly 12 hour shifts) then voting will mostly take second place add to that the fact that the Electoral System makes your vote almost worthless anyway then why even bother?

you have a point Keith but since they introduced the banana republic vote, IE postal voting there is no excuse, you get your polling card, weeks in advance, phone the number they send you the form you fill it in - return it - job done. - its made it easy to vote but my take on the issue is postal voting should only be for disabled people. and if people cannot be bothered getting their bum in gear and get to the polling station then more fool them.

As for the EU. its easier to hold it on Thursday and cheaper. because we have the local council elections on the Thursday. turnout in the european elections has been falling year on year. i cannot see the trend changing. because the trend is right across the EU. except in the countries where voting is mandatory.

Edited by stevewinn, 13 March 2013 - 06:01 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#13    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

Screw what Europe wants.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#14    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Non gender specific

• 25,677 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

I love the paranoia of the Mail. "Britain could be forced to hold European elections on Sundays as part of a blatant EU bid to erase our long democratic tradition."

oh no!! by holding them on a different day to our long democratic tradition (and let's be honest, since Women didn't even have the Vote on the same terms as men until 1928, it's not really that long a tradition, and not really very Democrtauic, is it), they're going to Destroy our Democratic Traditions and make us all bow down before the unelected Tyrants of Brussels!!

Perhaps it might be more convenient on a Sunday, actually, and more people might be able to do so.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#15    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

See.

It's Thursday and nothing has happened.  When's Friday going to start?

Also tagged with elections, sunday, thursday, eu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users