Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Where Did God Come From?


  • Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#46    danielost

danielost

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 31,816 posts
  • Joined:26 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the only known inhabited planet in the universe

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostRoyal, on 16 March 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

No what you said was that God created months, to which I asked you if God created the Chinese version of months? Also I don't need to watch a tv show to know that all carnivores don't sit back and wait for the Gazeles to return from spring break, and what that has to do with the OP, I have no idea.

What I said is thast god created months, so that th isrealites would could have holidays.  I am sure that the chinese invented months for simular reasons.  Land carnivores set up territories, so that others of their kind don't compete with them fror the limited food sources when their main food source migrates to greener grass.  The only exception I can think of are polar bears but they spend a lot of time swimming.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#47    Royal

Royal

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined:25 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Omega

  • ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

View Postdanielost, on 16 March 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

What I said is thast god created months, so that th isrealites would could have holidays.  I am sure that the chinese invented months for simular reasons.  Land carnivores set up territories, so that others of their kind don't compete with them fror the limited food sources when their main food source migrates to greener grass.  The only exception I can think of are polar bears but they spend a lot of time swimming.
    What you originally said was that God created time itself, then you stated that God created months{ months without days or  hours or  minutes I suppose, which you stated quite correctly, were invented by man}. You can't have it both ways,either God did it or man did it. Don't take all of this the wrong way,You can believe in anything you want to and I respect you for it,it's just there are some areas of religious faith that are simply that... faith, not fact.

"you oughta be in here looking out"

#48    danielost

danielost

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 31,816 posts
  • Joined:26 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the only known inhabited planet in the universe

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostRoyal, on 16 March 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

What you originally said was that God created time itself, then you stated that God created months{ months without days or  hours or  minutes I suppose, which you stated quite correctly, were invented by man}. You can't have it both ways,either God did it or man did it. Don't take all of this the wrong way,You can believe in anything you want to and I respect you for it,it's just there are some areas of religious faith that are simply that... faith, not fact.

Startnd a new thread, so this can get back on topic.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#49    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 17,137 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

Where did God come from?  Well, he created the universe and set it in motion.  The universe eventually produces life and then intelligent life, which goes on to evolve into beings of great power and spiritual elevation and just tons and tons of positive karma.  In short it evolves God, who then goes back in time so as to start it all.


#50    Royal

Royal

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined:25 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Omega

  • ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 March 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

Where did God come from?  Well, he created the universe and set it in motion.  The universe eventually produces life and then intelligent life, which goes on to evolve into beings of great power and spiritual elevation and just tons and tons of positive karma.  In short it evolves God, who then goes back in time so as to start it all.
You started out you're post with a question,and then proceeded not to answer it,so I'll answer it for you. Gods were invented by man as a tool to control the population through fear and faith.

"you oughta be in here looking out"

#51    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 17,137 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

View PostRoyal, on 17 March 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

You started out you're post with a question,and then proceeded not to answer it,so I'll answer it for you. Gods were invented by man as a tool to control the population through fear and faith.
Well that certainly tells us where you stand.  You don't know me well enough to realize that I was being a bit zen Buddhist there.  I am in fact an atheist.I don't think however that gods were invented as a tool for maintainig power.  I think they came from the not illogical thought that if "I" have personality and power and so on, then it stands to reason other things do too, such as mountains and rivers and animals.  This is animism, dividing the world of sentience and non-sentience in a different place from where we define it.  Over time this evolves into giving dangerous things, like mountains, due respect, which evolves into worship.That religion is sometimes used as a lever of power is true enough; those who want power will use whatever comes to hand.


#52    Royal

Royal

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined:25 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Omega

  • ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 March 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

Where did God come from?  Well, he created the universe and set it in motion.  The universe eventually produces life and then intelligent life, which goes on to evolve into beings of great power and spiritual elevation and just tons and tons of positive karma.  In short it evolves God, who then goes back in time so as to start it all.
  Here is your post again. In the first sentence you ask the question from the original OP. In the next sentence you state that he(God) created the universe. Doesn't sound very atheistic to me!

"you oughta be in here looking out"

#53    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 17,137 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

Sheesh.  You obviously have no imagination.  Do you really think someone believes what I posted?


#54    Royal

Royal

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined:25 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Omega

  • ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 March 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

Sheesh.  You obviously have no imagination.  Do you really think someone believes what I posted?
  I think danielost believes what you posted. I was just reacting to it.

"you oughta be in here looking out"

#55    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 17,137 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Maybe you need to develop a sense that tells you when someone is posting absurdities out of sarcasm.

There is a Buddhist story about the good and great Bhodsittva who accumulated so much merit (karma) that he generated a whole new universe with himself as the only god in it.  He had (as happens in rebirth) forgotten his prior existences, and so came to the erroneious conclusion that this universe he was in was all there is, and that he must be God.  (Note the shift from small "g" to capital "G"). So he proceded to create mankind and all the rest.  Hence we see the origin of the Abrahamic God in a misunderstanding of the nature of the cosmos and a divine mistake.

Now no Buddhist tells you that story thinking that they are preaching truth to you.  Still there is a truth in it.

My little story was inspired by that.  God creating the universe in order to create himself becomes possible if it is possible to travel backward in time.  Indeed, as Heinline made use of in a famous story, one might copy a book, then go back in time an give it to one's earlier self, who in turn proceeds to do the same, so the book exists but never gets written, only copied.


#56    Royal

Royal

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined:25 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Omega

  • ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

We just have different ideas of what constitutes sarcasm!

"you oughta be in here looking out"

#57    danielost

danielost

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 31,816 posts
  • Joined:26 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the only known inhabited planet in the universe

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 March 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

Where did God come from?  Well, he created the universe and set it in motion.  The universe eventually produces life and then intelligent life, which goes on to evolve into beings of great power and spiritual elevation and just tons and tons of positive karma.  In short it evolves God, who then goes back in time so as to start it all.

This is pretty close to morman teaching.  Except for going back in time.  

I think that at some point there was nothing but scatterd intellagence(spch).  These clumped together like a planet until one becomes intellegent, thus becoming the first god.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#58    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 17,137 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

The Mormons have an endless heirarchy of gods who created the gods below them and were created by the gods above them, and if we are good Mormons we can someday be gods too.

I think time necessarily had a beginning because you can't cross infinite time to get to the present.  Before the beginning of time there was nothing -- no "supertime" for time to begin in -- really nothing.


#59    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

    Seeker79

  • Member
  • 12,999 posts
  • Joined:12 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

  • Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

    Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 March 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

The Mormons have an endless heirarchy of gods who created the gods below them and were created by the gods above them, and if we are good Mormons we can someday be gods too.

I think time necessarily had a beginning because you can't cross infinite time to get to the present.  Before the beginning of time there was nothing -- no "supertime" for time to begin in -- really nothing.
But what changed the "nothing" so that there now was something? It may not be possible to cross infinity, but im not so sure it's impossible to occupy a spot along it. Many times what is intuitive is not necessarily they way nature works.

Edited by Seeker79, 18 March 2013 - 01:18 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#60    danielost

danielost

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 31,816 posts
  • Joined:26 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the only known inhabited planet in the universe

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 18 March 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:


But what changed the "nothing" so that there now was something? It may not be possible to cross infinity, but im not so sure it's impossible to occupy a spot along it. Many times what is intuitive is not necessarily they way nature works.

All that means is that you didn't understand nature.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users