Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

What Japanese history lessons leave out

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,778 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

I mentioned in another thread that the Japanese aren't taught about their soldiers' horrific acts of last century, and that this can be dangerous. I found this article today for anyone who's interested.

Japanese people often fail to understand why neighbouring countries harbour a grudge over events that happened in the 1930s and 40s. The reason, in many cases, is that they barely learned any 20th Century history. I myself only got a full picture when I left Japan and went to school in Australia.

From Homo erectus to the present day - 300,000 years of history in just one year of lessons. That is how, at the age of 14, I first learned of Japan's relations with the outside world.

For three hours a week - 105 hours over the year - we edged towards the 20th Century.

It's hardly surprising that some classes, in some schools, never get there, and are told by teachers to finish the book in their spare time.

When I returned recently to my old school, Sacred Heart in Tokyo, teachers told me they often have to start hurrying, near the end of the year, to make sure they have time for World War II.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-21226068

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Maybe there should be a class just for 20th century history.

#3    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

Is it any different in US classrooms?

#4    wimfloppp

wimfloppp

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

I think children should be taught what the germans got up to in the last war.

#5    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,778 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

View Postwimfloppp, on 17 March 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

They are.

#6    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,148 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

View Postwimfloppp, on 17 March 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

View PostExpandMyMind, on 17 March 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

They are.
Surely you only have to open a copy of the Sun or the Daily Mail, or to turn on any "history" channel on satellite TV, and you can't move for Nazis. Sometimes I think it might be an idea to remind people that there was a lot of German history before 1914, even if Germany only existed as a country since the 1870s.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#7    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 17 March 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

Surely you only have to open a copy of the Sun or the Daily Mail, or to turn on any "history" channel on satellite TV, and you can't move for Nazis. Sometimes I think it might be an idea to remind people that there was a lot of German history before 1914, even if Germany only existed as a country since the 1870s.
I would just like to add that the German identity is much, much older than that,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users