Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

One question I keep asking myself.

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#16    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,592 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

Oh I quite agree; we have to have troubles to understand and appreciate their absence, but do they really have to be so bad?

#17    TheLogic

TheLogic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

It seems like the troubles are getting worse.

Especially with the stabbing of the girl on the bus in England.

#18    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,411 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Putrid abyss? There's much more to the world than that. As for why evil exists, I don't know. A more pertinent question in my life is what can I do to make the world a better place. I refuse to let the world's evils & problems make me helpless. Maybe one of the reasons evil exists is to give us all an opportunities to find & use our own personal power to have a positive effect on our families & communities, to help us formulate a code of ethical behavior and behave accordingly, to help us rise instead of give in to hopelessness.

#19    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostBeany, on 15 March 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Putrid abyss? There's much more to the world than that. As for why evil exists, I don't know. A more pertinent question in my life is what can I do to make the world a better place. I refuse to let the world's evils & problems make me helpless. Maybe one of the reasons evil exists is to give us all an opportunities to find & use our own personal power to have a positive effect on our families & communities, to help us formulate a code of ethical behavior and behave accordingly, to help us rise instead of give in to hopelessness.
So vigilante justice ?

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#20    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,411 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 16 March 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

So vigilante justice ?

Not at all, just taking control of my world and my life, and making conscious choices about what kinds of influences I let into my life and how I react to them, in an ethical and moral way. And a determination not to give in to despair, because that disempowers us all, and there are lots of people & institutions that have a vested interest in convincing us of our powerlessness, because that makes us easily manipulated.

#21    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,565 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Are we talking about "evil" on a human level, or a spiritual one? Or both?

#22    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,866 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 14 March 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

There has to be a balance, imo. There is no good without evil, no light without dark and vice versa. Nature is both chaos and order, both ugly and beautiful. :tu:

Ive seen people use this view to commit hurtful acts toward others stating that it is thier position and purpose in life to bring balance.. I think this mentality is sick. Not your mentality, the mentality that would use it as an excuse for thier behavior.

Edited by SpiritWriter, 16 March 2013 - 05:42 PM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#23    TheLogic

TheLogic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 16 March 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

Ive seen people use this view to commit hurtful acts toward others stating that it is thier position and purpose in life to bring balance.. I think this mentality is sick. Not your mentality, the mentality that would use it as an excuse for thier behavior.

Agreed.
Also agree with the other people who say that without evil, good can not be appreciated.

But people can dream of a Utopian society.

#24    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

Well, you only need to look at nature... it's obviously full of what we'd perceive as both good and bad... and that... is nature.

I've never heard of anybody using that as an excuse to do bad things...

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#25    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Naked Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

• Mercy is a more complete observance

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

You can't make an omelet without breaking the eggs. You know how many lives have been taken to sustain our living? Not humans, but plants and animals. We already have a lot of stuff on us, we aren't born into an innocent world, unless you choose to eat nothing. Life nourishes on death, the cycle that repeats itself everywhere. Dreams are a resource of ours, at our disposal and maybe somewhat limited control, but there. You should pick your dreams well so that you'd have something more in this life to strive to.

In the end it's just people and other living things trying to get along, but we want easiness in our lives, which is not wrong. This, however, combined with shortsightedness which also in itself isn't really wrong, combined with you feeling like being forced to a corner, a situation which might not stem from your own shortcomings or anything. Yet, combine them and the soup of what you call evil is ready. What we need in my opinion, is people ready to sacrifice themselves to build a world in which we can live more freely, freely as in being more free to pursue the careers and dreams we'd want and make changes into our lives more flexibly. We allow ourselves to live in and sustain a world in which we keep letting ourselves be pushed to a corner, and focus on blaming the outcomes of that problem, focus on blaming all the criminals, instead of stopping to think "you know, since we repeat the same things in this society all over again, like in a squirrel wheel, maybe, just maybe there's something wrong there. And maybe we could make a change.". But do we make the changes?

Edited by Mikko-kun, 16 March 2013 - 06:35 PM.

Can you imagine? Can you choose?

#26    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,411 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

Well, yeah, we do make changes, but they often take so  long that we forget about them. i.e. slavery used to be a sanctioned economic institution in the States, but that has changed. People use seatbelts now, which has saved thousands & thousands of lives. Asbestos is no longer a common building material, gay people can marry, mixed race marriages are now legal, beating children is no longer legal, women & minorities can vote, the handicapped & disabled now have rights & access that they never had before, including special education, DDT is no longer used on food crops, schools are now integrated and "separate but equal" is no longer considered legally or morally acceptable, district attorneys are starting to prosecute Mormons who force minor girls into "celestial marriages." I could go on, but you all probably get my point. Evil in a larger sense, religious sense? I personally don't think so. I think it' a concept that takes our off the stuff that really counts, that all of us can work to change, the "small" evils that cause people harm every day. That's the kind of evil we can all stand up against, and many of us do, every day. I can't deal with the world's evils, but I can deal with what goes on in my community, in my family, in my state, in my country, and use my voice to effect positive change. IMHO, it's insane to not do that, and possible irresponsible.

#27    khol

khol

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

i always tend to believe that humans are imperfect creatures..as remarkable as our evolution is,it is flawed in a sense
survival of the fittest translates into trying to out do everyone else,which can be taken to extremes with some of our more horrendous crimes
the child in school bullying there class mate is making themself feel more important and dominant over the "weaker" child
the murderer and rapist are doing the same thing
the way we pollute our planet and adversly affect our enviorment is also evil
evil appears inate among humans
there are those of us tho that have compassion and empathy..traits i believe if given enough time will perservere over evil
but this could take centuries...we will probably kill ourselves off first

#28    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,411 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:38 AM

View Postkhol, on 17 March 2013 - 01:49 AM, said:

i always tend to believe that humans are imperfect creatures..as remarkable as our evolution is,it is flawed in a sense
survival of the fittest translates into trying to out do everyone else,which can be taken to extremes with some of our more horrendous crimes
the child in school bullying there class mate is making themself feel more important and dominant over the "weaker" child
the murderer and rapist are doing the same thing
the way we pollute our planet and adversly affect our enviorment is also evil
evil appears inate among humans
there are those of us tho that have compassion and empathy..traits i believe if given enough time will perservere over evil
but this could take centuries...we will probably kill ourselves off first

Evil may be innate, but so is cooperation. Cooperation is  a survival mechanism, at least for tribal & island people, and probably was for early mankind.

#29    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

Evil on a human level is allways high.they kill, steal, do bad things if thats not evil then what is.its a shame that people do bad stuff

#30    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,592 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

Good and evil are Yin and Yang: neither can exist without the other.

Good is being of help; evil is doing harm.  Sometimes the same act does both and therefore is both good and evil.

When you do good things you aquire positive merit; you lose it or aquire negative merit when you do evil.  When an act is both, the merit either is aquired or lost in proportion.  Its all very mechanical and not judgmental, but we can view it as judgement and it comes out the same.

What "merit" is, is the only hard thing here.  We can interpret it as a game score, or as some sort of magical aura, or just simply the tendency in nature and human society for those who consistently play against the odds to ultimately lose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users