Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 24 votes

Guns save lives thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2945 replies to this topic

#151    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

We all die sooner or later, so if cancer and heart disease don't kill me, something else will.  Does that mean I shouldn't try to avoid cancer and heart disease?

#152    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:53 AM

I just don't understand your argument. There is at least a hundred things i could use to kill someone in my room alone, if i wanted to. But guns are much more efficient, deadly, and lets face it, more likely to strike fear or do harm.

~Today's mighty Oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground~

#153    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:01 AM

Sorry, i hit post early.

Sure, you can't regulate everything, but why not the most dangerous?

Edited by Odds, 16 June 2013 - 06:06 AM.

#154    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostOdds, on 16 June 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

I just don't understand your argument. There is at least a hundred things i could use to kill someone in my room alone, if i wanted to. But guns are much more efficient, deadly, and lets face it, more likely to strike fear or do harm.

Then what's the big deal about gun control, you have hundreds of weapons you could use, I don't think efficiency is an issue when it comes to wanting to kill someone, if you haven't got a gun your'll grab whatever will do the job, as proved by the spike in knife murders after the gun control was introduced.

#155    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

I'm pretty sure efficiency would actually be the main factor...

#156    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 11,316 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

a better version ... than the original

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.

Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC

~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#157    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

A murder or a suicide or an accident can kill someone simply because a gun was available that would not have happened otherwise.  I think this is patently obvious.

There is a name for the fallacy that because other things that we allow can also be used to kill, guns must be allowed, but can't people see the fallacy on their own without studying logic?  Have we no sense at all?

#158    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,501 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

Most people claim that they own guns because of their right to defend against a despotic government - well it ain't worked - you have slid into a despotic government without even noticing and your guns did nothing to stop it.
This second amendment logic has meant that people have become distrustful and complacent about their government and not taken an active roll in stopping the slide to despotism.

Now that it has happened, you will not be safe no matter how many semi-automatic weapons you have, since you have allowed your Government to arm itself with weapons which make plain and simple guns all but worthless.

Meanwhile thousands die because you believe that guns can protect you - wrong civil society is the only thing that can protect you and you seem to have blew that.

America looks more like a war zone by the day.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#159    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 17,649 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 16 June 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

I don't know that one can start a thread and control it by not permitting posts of people who want to provide evidence that supports the other side.  If you want to show that guns save lives, then others posting that gun's don't save lives is fair.  If you want to show that monkeys have a secret conspiracy to overthrow mankind, then others posting evidence to the contrary would be perfectly fair.

It's called derailing and is generally frowned upon.

#160    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 11,316 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

Posted Image

yeah no kidding ... you don't say  ... oh excuse me ...

~

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.

~

#161    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,474 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostMichelle, on 16 June 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

It's called derailing and is generally frowned upon.
Giving contra arguments is not derailing.

Guns don't save lives; people do.

#162    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 17,649 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 16 June 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Giving contra arguments is not derailing.

There is also something called common courtesy which isn't so common any more. How many threads do people need to voice their opinion about our gun laws? There was a specific purpose for this thread and people just couldn't let it be.

#163    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

I think the real offense being committed here is not derailing but an attempt to control what people post on a thread.

Posting irrelevant stuff is frowned upon, but not engaging the topic of the thread from a different viewpoint.

#164    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 11,316 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostMichelle, on 16 June 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

There is also something called common courtesy which isn't so common any more. How many threads do people need to voice their opinion about our gun laws? There was a specific purpose for this thread and people just couldn't let it be.

thank you ....

Posted Image

:tu:

~

~

#165    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,474 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostMichelle, on 16 June 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Well, of course they can't. If I would open up a thread called "Guns Kill", and only post articles about all kinds of gun deaths, would that have been let be? Of course not, since posting in only one direction makes no sense whatsoever on a board likes this. In fact, let me put it this way: It's propaganda and censorship.