Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Never talk to the Police

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,373 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

In my small town I know too many cops not to talk to them.  I socialize with a few.

If I have deliberately broken some law, then it's good advice to say nothing.  But if I have not broken some law (traffic offenses being another story), then I believe that one must assert one's rights for them to have even a chance of being respected.

#17    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,826 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 16 March 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

In my small town I know too many cops not to talk to them.  I socialize with a few.

If I have deliberately broken some law, then it's good advice to say nothing.  But if I have not broken some law (traffic offenses being another story), then I believe that one must assert one's rights for them to have even a chance of being respected.

It doesnt have anything to do with respect though. It cant benefit you in anyway to talk to police. Innocent people have been put in prison for speaking to police. Alot of them wouldnt have if they had just kept thier mouths shut.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,983 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

That's what the lawyers all say -- keep your mouth shut until they get there.  Of course maybe if you answered a couple of questions they would let you go and you wouldn't need the lawyer.

#19    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

I know a few cops, my son-in-law is a cop in Columbia, South Carolina.  Good kid....and I knew him before he became a cop...so...I always have that little edge to poke him in the ribs with.

No, do not call 911, do not call the cops and do not talk to them.  Everything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

The modern police force is actually nothing but a security guard team for the rich and wealthy.  They absolutely do not care (generally) about the average citizen.  They patrol areas to protect the wealthy...period.

I see them in places all the time where they do not belong.  I live on a mountain in what used to be a ski resort and was subdivided and houses started springing up.  I see cops out here all the time and I have to ask myself..."Why are they here?"  There is no crime out here...but there they are...popping folks with speeding tickets cause we have a 25 mph limit all over this place.  The really sad part is that when you turn up the mountain, there is a sign that specifically says "end state maintenance"...but the county and state police seem to think this is a hunting ground for fines and revenue.

Our police across the country have become a revenue collector...they have to write enough tickets and make enough arrests to justify their jobs.  If they are not collecting enough money to pay their own salary, they are likely to be let go.  Law enforcement has become another scam...a scandal to steal as much money from the people as possible...put them on a watch list and keep the categorized.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#20    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,746 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

I would tend to agree. Say as little as possible. Call a lawyer. If you are innocent, you'll get out soon (hopefully) anyway.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#21    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,373 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

You guys are right--don't talk to them until you talk to your own lawyer.  That is the best possible advice and practice.

I don't get out of my small hometown much. :innocent:

#22    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,151 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

What if your spouse is a cop?

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#23    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,707 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

I was in a situation with a State police officer that I'll never forget.

Minus the details(so as not to bore everyone here), he asked me questions and I responded truthfully to every single one. And I was very respectful. And yes, I was guilty as sin.

I was arrested, and as he put me in the back of his car he said "I appreciate your honesty"

When I went to jail, he must have said something to someone, because I was suddenly released without even going into a cell.

Of course, I had to go to court, but that State trooper get's a big "thumbs-up" from me.

Edited by pallidin, 17 March 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#24    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostSakari, on 17 March 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Yes, that statement should have been qualified, social discourse is different. The lecture is on talking to police if they happen to arrest you or simply want to "question you". In those cases, there is no such thing as "off the record".

#25    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,746 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

View PostSakari, on 17 March 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

I guess the other one would have to be a lawyer. :innocent:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#26    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,151 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 18 March 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

I guess the other one would have to be a lawyer. :innocent:

:nw:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#27    spayneuter

spayneuter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 132 posts

• Live Long And Prosper.
    Please spay and neuter.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

I've always talked to the police in a very respectful manner, answering whatever they ask.  I've never had a problem.  I respect them.  They respect me.

What a man dwells on, he becomes.

#28    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,151 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

View Postspayneuter, on 18 March 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

I've always talked to the police in a very respectful manner, answering whatever they ask.  I've never had a problem.  I respect them.  They respect me.

That is how it should be....

I am wondering though......There are 3 reasons you need to talk to them anyway.

1. You needed them

2. You did something stupid, and they are doing there job.

3. You were a witness to a accident or a crime.

I am now 47. I had a few brushes with the Police, when I was 16 to 18 years old......Speeding, young and a young attitude.

If you have a Officer talking to you, it is one of those things. If it is number 2, and you find yourself talking to the Police a lot, you may want to re-evaluate your lifestyle.

Funny, some people b**** about the police, yet that day they need them, they sure do like them.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#29    spayneuter

spayneuter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 132 posts

• Live Long And Prosper.
    Please spay and neuter.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostSakari, on 18 March 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

That is how it should be....

I am wondering though......There are 3 reasons you need to talk to them anyway.

1. You needed them

2. You did something stupid, and they are doing there job.

3. You were a witness to a accident or a crime.

I am now 47. I had a few brushes with the Police, when I was 16 to 18 years old......Speeding, young and a young attitude.

If you have a Officer talking to you, it is one of those things. If it is number 2, and you find yourself talking to the Police a lot, you may want to re-evaluate your lifestyle.

Funny, some people b**** about the police, yet that day they need them, they sure do like them.

I've had all three experiences with the police.  As well as doing things that seemed suspicious but were innocent.  They were alarmed and very stern with me until I explained what I was doing.   I could have gotten all indigent and huffy but I did not.   I thanked them for their concern and for keeping the public safe.  I believe the vast majority of policemen joined the force to protect innocent people.

What a man dwells on, he becomes.

#30    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,746 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

It probably depends on the Officer. If the officer comes across as friendly and willing to listen then talking is probably not so bad an idea. But, if the officer is belligerent already, or arrogant (as some are) then you're better off not talking and just taking a ride downtown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users