Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The U.S. is stockpiling smallpox drugs

smallpox st-246 arestvyr biological attack stockpiling

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

View Postlightly, on 16 March 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

Remember the stockpiling of the "bird flu "VACCINE"?  which turned out to be NOT a vaccine.. but a  flu  treatment  called Tami-flu  .. which is still on the market.
This sounds like just another trip to the cash cow.

.. from Still Waters link:  
"The drug hasn't been tested on humans suffering from smallpox infections (for lack of subjects), but it has successfully treated smallpox and monkeypox in monkeys and smallpox-related viruses in humans. The FDA has approved the drug for emergency use only."
and
" But prominent experts say the danger is overblown. Because it can take up to two weeks before an infected person becomes seriously ill, and up to five more days before he or she begins to infect others, there is time to respond, they said.
Also, they said, by the time smallpox victims reach the infectious stage, when their pox are erupting, they are too sick to wander around. That is why outbreaks in schools or factories were nearly unheard of."

The FDA. lol

They won't allow cancer cures but they allow the horrible stuff that is put into processed food which is really bad for you. (and can cause cancer)

FDA loves helping their pharmicutical buddies. We all know this form their cancer cure blocking.

Tested on Monkeys, that's great cause we are identical... (sarcasm)

Nice spots lightly. :tu:

View PostRocketgirl, on 16 March 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

This story bother's me a little bit. I really don't trust our government and by them stockpiling smallpox drugs makes me wonder what they are really up to.

I seriously can't name 1 goverment I trust.

Someone on my Facebook shared this today:

Posted Image

Thought it was fitting.. lol

Edited by Coffey, 16 March 2013 - 10:38 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#17    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,989 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

View PostLilly, on 16 March 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

I actually think it's a pretty good idea...and who knows what the 'chatter' might be regarding terrorists getting their hands on some smallpox virus?

how? raiding the CDC? It's the same as worrying about space aliens attacking. Wait I'm on UM :)

This is a waste of money. Or rather a government subsidy to drug companies.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#18    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,805 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

The drug   Arestvyr  is made by SIGA technologies (inexpensively) ..  and sells to the Government for about  $225  a dose.  The current administration is complicit with the ongoing scams... but  
  http://reason.com/blog/2011/11/16/the-annals-of-crony-capitalism-is-siga-t
"It should be noted that the contract with Siga is part of the $5.6 billion Project Bioshield adopted by the Bush administration. Project Bioshield was set up to guarantee a federal market for new chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear medical countermeasures for the Strategic National Stockpile (SNS). The question is was it used specifically to guarantee the profits of an Obama crony? Stay tuned.
One further note: The SNS already has 300 million doses of conventional smallpox vaccine costing $3 each and has ordered 20 million doses of a vaccine that could be given safely to immuno-compromised people. The conventional vaccine can prevent disease if administered within four days of exposure to the virus. "

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#19    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

View Postninjadude, on 17 March 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

how? raiding the CDC? It's the same as worrying about space aliens attacking. Wait I'm on UM :)

And very good for the price of the Company stocks and it's shareholders.

Edited by shaddow134, 17 March 2013 - 03:29 PM.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#20    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,987 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Well at least they are getting something; so many government scams produce delivery only on paper.

#21    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,785 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

View Postninjadude, on 17 March 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

I'm agreeing with Ninja here. This is probably a Big Gov deal giving money to Big Pharma.

Would a smallpox breakout really spread fast enough to require stockpiling of vaccine? Maybe, I guess...

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#22    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,126 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 18 March 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

I'm agreeing with Ninja here. This is probably a Big Gov deal giving money to Big Pharma.

Would a smallpox breakout really spread fast enough to require stockpiling of vaccine? Maybe, I guess...

If it was some type of coordinated biological attack (infected hosts inserted into large cities, airports, shopping malls etc.) things could snow ball pretty darn fast. How would/could the CDC contain something that was peppered through out the country? Basically, people would be getting sick all over the place (not just one or two locations). In such a scenario you'd need treatment for the full blown disease as well as vaccine for those not yet infected.

Edited by Lilly, 18 March 2013 - 05:28 PM.
I can't spell

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#23    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,834 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:17 AM

Well, the government's job is to be prepared for such possibilities. I was under the impression that country's stockpiled these types of vaccines already anyway, replenishing their stocks as they expire. If that's bit the case, and assuming that there's no secret information that they know that we don't, I think this is more likely to be a salesman capitalizing on the global situation rather than the gov being in cahoots with big pharma. A salesman probably took advantage of the NK threats and used it in a sales pitch that succeeded.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#24    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,805 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

the answer is no ...  and the drug being discussed is an UNTESTED on HUMANS  treatment , not a vaccine.    and,  As  i posted above, "One further note: The SNS already has 300 million doses of conventional smallpox vaccine costing $3 each and has ordered 20 million doses of a vaccine that could be given safely to immuno-compromised people. The conventional vaccine can prevent disease if administered within four days of exposure to the virus. "  

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#25    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,011 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

When ninjadude takes the words right out of my mouth something is definetly fishy.

#26    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,011 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostStellar, on 18 March 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

Well, the government's job is to be prepared for such possibilities. I was under the impression that country's stockpiled these types of vaccines already anyway, replenishing their stocks as they expire. If that's bit the case, and assuming that there's no secret information that they know that we don't, I think this is more likely to be a salesman capitalizing on the global situation rather than the gov being in cahoots with big pharma. A salesman probably took advantage of the NK threats and used it in a sales pitch that succeeded.
Stellar, if big government was a girl you would propose marriage, so not surprised that you think it's fine for a bankrupt government to spend billions on a vaacine for a disease that was wiped out 100 years ago.

Edited by OverSword, 18 March 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#27    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,834 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

View PostOverSword, on 18 March 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Stellar, if big government was a girl you would propose marriage, so not surprised that you think it's fine for a bankrupt government to spend billions on a vaacine for a disease that was wiped out 100 years ago.

OverSword: If big government was a child, you would still execute it because of how much you despise the establishment. :rolleyes:

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#28    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,011 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

*Stupid chidren* (muttering under breath)

#29    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,805 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

Project BioShield ...  proposed by Bush jr.  ... and passed  into law  in 2004?   Project BioShield is a ten year 'project' worth BILLIONS  (with built in renewals) .   And huge built in monetary INCENTIVES  ...   And one powerful new change which allows for the purcha$e of Unapproved "products"  .. at Lower Cost than Approved.    (hello?)
  So far we can thank this act for huge and extremely costly stockpiles of UNUSED vaccines  for  ANTHRAX!!  ... and BIRD FLU !!*! ... and  SWINE FLU!!!*
  All of these THREATS  never materialized ...  (thank goodness)   .. but ,, uh...... .. and now its the threat of smallpox. ..Hogwa$h.  

Here is a must see  report/sales pitch on project BioShield..  prepared for Congress  .  ! Everyone really should see this .
http://www.law.umary...507B_832004.pdf

Edited by lightly, 19 March 2013 - 12:19 AM.

#30    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,011 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Thanks lightly.  This from lightly's PDF about sums it up.

Relaxing Acquisition Procedures.

The Project BioShield Act of 2004 (P.L.
108-276) relaxes procedures under the Federal Acquisition Regulation for procuring
property or services used in performing, administering, or supporting biomedical
countermeasure R&D. The act increases the maximum, from $100,000 to $25 million,
for contracts awarded under simplified acquisition procedures. It also allows these
purchases using other than full and open competition.

Doe anyone else smell pork?????  Methinks a senators brother-inlaw owns a bio med company.

Edited by OverSword, 19 March 2013 - 03:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users