Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

do you believe illusions?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,636 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

View PostSherapy, on 20 March 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

MW, I would add that you don't have to believe in the properties/axioms of arithmetic and algebra, you have to know/learn them, it's in knowing them-- you apply them; it is in the application they prove themselves.

You would use the natural number axiom(basic assumptions we hold to be true/that have been proven to be true) which allows for one to logically induce that all natural numbers follow in an order.(The variable n represents all natural numbers in this case.) Then you would use addition property, then the property of equality and so on and so on.

You are representing the fact that 1 +1 = 2 by using the symbols(language)/rules/laws of Mathematics.

It is not unlike--Bonjour means hello regardless if it's in English or French it's just a different representation of the same thing. It still holds true that both are ways(facts)of saying hello.
Precisely.  Th e latter part of what I posted said exactly this. But  one still needs to chose to believe (or disbelieve) anything not known by personal experience. So a person unfaniliar with the theory and practices of algebra MUST accept its accuracy in faith or belief.

The two types of proof are the same, but one is more accessible to everyone than the other. Mathematics and language are both human constructs representing physical truths or realities. MAthematics indeed IS a form of language.

PS i did pre university double maths in a time when there were no calculators or computers. We learned first as young children how to do mental arithmetic,  such as our times tables and simple and long division and mulitlication, in our heads, and second how to use slide rules and logarithmic tables for calculations. Thus we had to have the knowledge and discipline to understand the very basic and more complex building blocks of mathemeatics. We had to memorise, and hold in our heads, all the mathematical and  geometric formulae/processes used in maths, and  work  out complex questions in our heads, or on paper, in a few minutes under test conditions. At the end of our final year we had two,  state set and assessed, three hour exams, one on each maths subject, in order to assess our state ranking.  Maths wasn't my strong suite but I achieved in the top 25% of the state's students in both exams.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#17    monk 56

monk 56

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Some like visual illusions, so if you still like toys, get yourself a hologram chamber ha ha!

Neat visual mathematics!

Edited by monk 56, 22 March 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#18    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,464 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostSetton, on 17 March 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

Yes.

P1. 1 is in N.
P2. If x is in N, then its "successor" x' is in N.
P3. There is no x such that x' = 1.
P4. If x isn't 1, then there is a y in N such that y' = x.
P5. If S is a subset of N, 1 is in S, and the implication
(x in S => x' in S) holds, then S = N.

Then you have to define addition recursively:
Def: Let a and b be in N. If b = 1, then define a + b = a'
(using P1 and P2). If b isn't 1, then let c' = b, with c in N
(using P4), and define a + b = (a + c)'.

Then you have to define 2:
Def: 2 = 1'

2 is in N by P1, P2, and the definition of 2.

Theorem: 1 + 1 = 2

Proof: Use the first part of the definition of + with a = b = 1.
Then 1 + 1 = 1' = 2 Q.E.D.

yes, but this does not make a cup of tea?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#19    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,359 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 22 March 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

yes, but this does not make a cup of tea?
Give them a while.

#20    monk 56

monk 56

Psychic Spy

• 1,012 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Hi Freetoroam & Frank Merton,

Including me, thats 3 that are waiting for a cup of tea, one more and we get a T(ea) Square Ha Ha!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-square

My math interest is Mandelbrot Set, Fractals and PHI, different strokes for different folks!

#21    Roy Perry

Roy Perry

Psychic Spy

• 1,125 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:18 AM

God first

thanks you all my friends

with love and a holy kiss of friendship friom Roy

#22    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,025 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

I like math!

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users