Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Slough MP donates 14,268 to Comic Relief

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

Thought I'd 'retweet' to you guys :D

A Berkshire MP is donating £14,268 to Comic Relief after posting a "naive" Twitter message saying she would pledge £1 to the charity for every retweet.

Slough MP Fiona MacTaggart posted the message at 20:25 GMT and gave people a retweet deadline of 21:00.

The Labour MP thanked the 14,268 retweeters for "being so generous for me" and posted that she had "no regrets" despite being "Twitter naive".

She called accusations she would claim the money back on expenses "sad".

http://www.bbc.co.uk...kshire-21813361

Haha! Dozy woman got a bit more than she bargained for when she tried this publicity stunt! Fair play though if she follows through with it.

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,090 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Nice to know she can afford it from the wages she gets from the tax payers!!!!
Would love to see her expenses sheet at the end of the year to see if she has claimed for a works shredding machine or briefcase for £14,268

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 16 March 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Nice to know she can afford it from the wages she gets from the tax payers!!!!
Would love to see her expenses sheet at the end of the year to see if she has claimed for a works shredding machine or briefcase for £14,268

I'm in three minds about politicians' wages.

On the one hand, I think that the salary should be minimal, so that it might be ensured everyone who enters politics does so simply to serve the people that elect them. An act of self sacrifice for the greater good.

On the other hand, I think that maybe they should have extremely high wages and retirement packages so that they cannot be bribed by anyone or any organisation. Just look at where ex politicians and especially Prime Ministers end up and you'll see why this might be a good idea (scum bags).

But in reality - sadly I should add - I realise that both of the above would end up corrupted through greed anyways, and we're just pretty much fudged as a nation whichever road we take.

Money rules.

/Cry

#4    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

The MP, who has represented Slough since 1997, is the daughter of the late multimillionaire property developer Sir Ian MacTaggart and inherited a large portion of his estate.

And suddenly it becomes less impressive. Good for her for following up on it though.

P.S. Nice avatar, ExpandMyMind :D

Edited by Setton, 17 March 2013 - 12:44 AM.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#5    cultanorak

cultanorak

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

• I imagine you have orders to destroy me?

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

The rich should always give or be forced to give their so called hard earned money to those who haven't had the advantages in life that they have had.

#6    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,515 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

View Postyearofthehater, on 17 March 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

The rich should always give or be forced to give their so called hard earned money to those who haven't had the advantages in life that they have had.
Why?There are two sets of people in life,the go getters and those that choose sit back on their backsides expecting the rest of the world to give them a living.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#7    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,550 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 18 March 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

Why?There are two sets of people in life,the go getters and those that choose sit back on their backsides expecting the rest of the world to give them a living.

And the ones who inherit fortunes made immorally and do **** all their entire lives while buying themselves even more privileges.

And the ones who do a low paying job because it's worthwhile. Like the highly achieving geologist who becomes a teacher instead of working in the oil industry.

Edited by Setton, 18 March 2013 - 06:31 PM.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#8    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,234 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

you dont force anyone

#9    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,836 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

View Postcultanorak, on 17 March 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Kiss my tiara, Trotsky!  Posted Image

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#10    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

I'm Fighting the urge to answer this, with a reply that won’t be deleted & get me in trouble with Saru & the UM cleansing department.

Posted Image

#11    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,595 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Perhaps you should move to North Korea. The rich gave up their money when they became communist. Trouble is, no one seems to know where it is now. At least everyone has the same amount of nothing now, so you can't be jelious of your neighbours having more nothings than you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users