Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Mafia

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,473 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

Hey all. Anyone find the history of the NY Mafia interesting?? If so what most, and what key players do you find most interesting. I have this book called "The Mafia Encyclopedia" so awesome. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#2    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,473 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:48 AM

Also who was the Mafioso who got arrested like 2-3 years ago. Older fellow like 80's... It was all over the news??? It may have been part of the sweep in 2011 where like 800 officers arrested 127 mafiosos... But, maybe not, this guy was on the run for like 30+ years I think.

#3    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

Iam also a history nut for the mafia of ny. As a matter of fact the colombo family boss
Joe magliocco lived in my town in the 30's.and 40's east islip ny
Iam also in my towns historical society .a good site is mafia wiki some of my anstors where in mob in ny

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

I worked the Howard beach area for a bit on the ambulance,back when that whole racial thing on the belt parkway went down .
That was wild. All the white kids involved were mafia family .
Gotti Sr was still alive. Then I worked in a medical office just before growing up Gotti was aired.
I think one of my cousins hung out with the gotti boys .
It was a different place back in the day .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 17 March 2013 - 06:02 AM.

Miss me?

#5    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,473 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

That's cool coolguy. Ya, Frank Tieri the Front Man acting boss for the Genovese Family was my cousin . My grandpa ran numbers for them and other stuff. Fir a bit before taking his family to L.A.. but ya its all so interesting from the organization to the history of it
Who thought individuals would be so into researching these worthless piles of crap that killed tortured and stole. But something about it all Just is interesting..  the nicknames, style, cars , individual capos.. all if it awesome .. I'm a history major so all that i like

#6    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,473 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

what racial thing on the beltway parkway? hmm may have to look it up.

#7    awest

awest

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

View PostLucidElement, on 17 March 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

Also who was the Mafioso who got arrested like 2-3 years ago. Older fellow like 80's... It was all over the news??? It may have been part of the sweep in 2011 where like 800 officers arrested 127 mafiosos... But, maybe not, this guy was on the run for like 30+ years I think.
No that arrest came from a secret tip from someone that recognized him. There was a fat reward involved. His name was James "Whitey" Bulger.

Edited by awest, 18 March 2013 - 02:19 AM.

#8    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,810 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

So what do you have against the mafia around the rest of the US, eh? We've had plenty down here in New Orleans. Chicago and Vegas were also big places. None of these places are worth your interest? :P :P :P I find it all fascinating and disturbing at the same time.

Edited by Lady Kasey, 18 March 2013 - 02:18 PM.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#9    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,473 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

haha nothing. actually if you read into it, the mafia originated in New Orleans i believe. Not sure with who, but it started there before spreading to NYC and other places.

#10    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,473 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

View Postawest, on 18 March 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

No that arrest came from a secret tip from someone that recognized him. There was a fat reward involved. His name was James "Whitey" Bulger.

Thanks man!! Exactly that person!

#11    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• 1,877 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:54 AM

View Postawest, on 18 March 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

You stole my thunder. OP, "Mobsters" got mixed reviews, but it was a good primer on the start of the modern New York La Cosa Nostra. It showed how the Five Families came together to form the Mafia in its contemporary form, and it showed the formation of the Syndicate too. Lansky and Luciano were the main players behind this.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#12    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

I have always found the mafia interesting "Lucky" was a very interesting character

I have several books on the real life mafia even old gangster movies from the 30's and 40's based on them.Not the mafia but a interesting book to read is "Public Enemies" by brian burrough it is about john dillinger and several other old gangtsers.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#13    dekker87

dekker87

Psychic Spy

• 1,369 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

a fantastic read not directly about the NY Mafia though heavily connected to it is Evan Wrights 'American Desperado' about the life of Jon Roberts (aka Riccobono)...

read it...you will not be disappointed at all.

#14    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• 1,877 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 20 March 2013 - 04:05 AM, said:

I have always found the mafia interesting "Lucky" was a very interesting character

I have several books on the real life mafia even old gangster movies from the 30's and 40's based on them.Not the mafia but a interesting book to read is "Public Enemies" by brian burrough it is about john dillinger and several other old gangtsers.

I bought that book. It became my token tome on that subject. I saw the movie with Johnny Depp. It was okay, but it wasn't as good as "Bonnie and Clyde".

I learned that Ma Barker likely never robbed anybody. Her sons and their accomplices did the dirty work. She just hid them from the police. Machine Gun Kelly wasn't very violent, either.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#15    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:58 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 22 March 2013 - 02:49 AM, said:

I bought that book. It became my token tome on that subject. I saw the movie with Johnny Depp. It was okay, but it wasn't as good as "Bonnie and Clyde".

I learned that Ma Barker likely never robbed anybody. Her sons and their accomplices did the dirty work. She just hid them from the police. Machine Gun Kelly wasn't very violent, either.

Yeah it is a very interesting book,to see how these people really were and thought was eye opening.I have read it about 5 times since i bought it,always finished it thinking......He may not have been a perfect person but John Dillinger was a badass haha

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users