Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mafia

LucidElement

Hey all. Anyone find the history of the NY Mafia interesting?? If so what most, and what key players do you find most interesting. I have this book called "The Mafia Encyclopedia" so awesome. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

• Like 2

Also who was the Mafioso who got arrested like 2-3 years ago. Older fellow like 80's... It was all over the news??? It may have been part of the sweep in 2011 where like 800 officers arrested 127 mafiosos... But, maybe not, this guy was on the run for like 30+ years I think.

Iam also a history nut for the mafia of ny. As a matter of fact the colombo family boss

Joe magliocco lived in my town in the 30's.and 40's east islip ny

Iam also in my towns historical society .a good site is mafia wiki some of my anstors where in mob in ny

I worked the Howard beach area for a bit on the ambulance,back when that whole racial thing on the belt parkway went down .

That was wild. All the white kids involved were mafia family .

Gotti Sr was still alive. Then I worked in a medical office just before growing up Gotti was aired.

I think one of my cousins hung out with the gotti boys .

It was a different place back in the day .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

That's cool coolguy. Ya, Frank Tieri the Front Man acting boss for the Genovese Family was my cousin . My grandpa ran numbers for them and other stuff. Fir a bit before taking his family to L.A.. but ya its all so interesting from the organization to the history of it

Who thought individuals would be so into researching these worthless piles of crap that killed tortured and stole. But something about it all Just is interesting.. the nicknames, style, cars , individual capos.. all if it awesome .. I'm a history major so all that i like

what racial thing on the beltway parkway? hmm may have to look it up.

Also who was the Mafioso who got arrested like 2-3 years ago. Older fellow like 80's... It was all over the news??? It may have been part of the sweep in 2011 where like 800 officers arrested 127 mafiosos... But, maybe not, this guy was on the run for like 30+ years I think.

No that arrest came from a secret tip from someone that recognized him. There was a fat reward involved. His name was James "Whitey" Bulger.

Edited by awest
  • Like 2

So what do you have against the mafia around the rest of the US, eh? We've had plenty down here in New Orleans. Chicago and Vegas were also big places. None of these places are worth your interest? :P :P :P I find it all fascinating and disturbing at the same time.

Edited by Lady Kasey

haha nothing. actually if you read into it, the mafia originated in New Orleans i believe. Not sure with who, but it started there before spreading to NYC and other places.

No that arrest came from a secret tip from someone that recognized him. There was a fat reward involved. His name was James "Whitey" Bulger.

Thanks man!! Exactly that person!

You stole my thunder. OP, "Mobsters" got mixed reviews, but it was a good primer on the start of the modern New York La Cosa Nostra. It showed how the Five Families came together to form the Mafia in its contemporary form, and it showed the formation of the Syndicate too. Lansky and Luciano were the main players behind this.

• Like 1

I have always found the mafia interesting "Lucky" was a very interesting character

I have several books on the real life mafia even old gangster movies from the 30's and 40's based on them.Not the mafia but a interesting book to read is "Public Enemies" by brian burrough it is about john dillinger and several other old gangtsers.

• Like 1

a fantastic read not directly about the NY Mafia though heavily connected to it is Evan Wrights 'American Desperado' about the life of Jon Roberts (aka Riccobono)...

read it...you will not be disappointed at all.

• Like 1

I have always found the mafia interesting "Lucky" was a very interesting character

I have several books on the real life mafia even old gangster movies from the 30's and 40's based on them.Not the mafia but a interesting book to read is "Public Enemies" by brian burrough it is about john dillinger and several other old gangtsers.

I bought that book. It became my token tome on that subject. I saw the movie with Johnny Depp. It was okay, but it wasn't as good as "Bonnie and Clyde".

I learned that Ma Barker likely never robbed anybody. Her sons and their accomplices did the dirty work. She just hid them from the police. Machine Gun Kelly wasn't very violent, either.

• Like 2

I bought that book. It became my token tome on that subject. I saw the movie with Johnny Depp. It was okay, but it wasn't as good as "Bonnie and Clyde".

I learned that Ma Barker likely never robbed anybody. Her sons and their accomplices did the dirty work. She just hid them from the police. Machine Gun Kelly wasn't very violent, either.

Yeah it is a very interesting book,to see how these people really were and thought was eye opening.I have read it about 5 times since i bought it,always finished it thinking......He may not have been a perfect person but John Dillinger was a badass haha

• Like 1

Yeah it is a very interesting book,to see how these people really were and thought was eye opening.I have read it about 5 times since i bought it,always finished it thinking......He may not have been a perfect person but John Dillinger was a badass haha

I haven't yet read the book. I have a small library of things to read. The factoids about Barker and Kelly come from other sources. Here's another piece of bank-robber trivia. Bonnie Parker was just 4'11. They could cast one of the Olson twins in the remake. I think that Ashley and Mary Kate are both around 5'. Maybe smoking really does stunt your growth.

• Like 2

I haven't yet read the book. I have a small library of things to read. The factoids about Barker and Kelly come from other sources. Here's another piece of bank-robber trivia. Bonnie Parker was just 4'11. They could cast one of the Olson twins in the remake. I think that Ashley and Mary Kate are both around 5'. Maybe smoking really does stunt your growth.

Ok havnt read it yet,believe me i understand my collection of books almost runs me out of my own house sometimes haha.Trust me very good book,you will enjoy it!

I like the trivia only problem is last i saw only 1 was still smoking :lol:

• Like 1

Ok havnt read it yet,believe me i understand my collection of books almost runs me out of my own house sometimes haha.Trust me very good book,you will enjoy it!

I like the trivia only problem is last i saw only 1 was still smoking :lol:

That's the one who dates a much older man. He just so happens to be Nicolas Sarkozy's brother! His daughter likely is in sixth or seventh grade. She's the same size as his girlfriend (thanks to smoking stunting her growth).

The Black Hand, the Mob, all fascinating. Capone is my favorite but I'm also really interested in the LA mob scene.

My recommendation is Mickey Cohen by Tere Tereba. Also, Get Capone by Jonathon Eig. And if you're visitng Las Vegas, check out the Tropicana Hotel and see if their interactive Mobsters attraction is still open. Real life actors, holograms, mementos from Bugsy, Snorky (Capone), Meyer Lansky, Lucky Luciano and many others. Just fabulous.

• Like 1

Is the book public enemies like the movie? I saw the movie? I like reading about the NYC mafia.. those guys are interesting characters. Never really read much out of the NYC 5 Families.. Carlo Gambino was bad ass. Vincent "The Chin" Gigante..How he pretended to be crazy for all those years to avoid capture..

Is the book public enemies like the movie? I saw the movie? I like reading about the NYC mafia.. those guys are interesting characters. Never really read much out of the NYC 5 Families.. Carlo Gambino was bad ass. Vincent "The Chin" Gigante..How he pretended to be crazy for all those years to avoid capture..

It is a little like the movie have to remember hollywood always makes their own story haha.The book is way better though,much more informative.As i said dillinger was a badass haha.The book also talks about Machine Gun Kelley,Bonnie and Clyde,Baby Face Nelson,Pretty Boy Floyd,and the barker gang :gun:

• Like 1

Hey all. Anyone find the history of the NY Mafia interesting?? If so what most, and what key players do you find most interesting. I have this book called "The Mafia Encyclopedia" so awesome. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

What's interesting about the Italian/Sicilian Mafia in the U.S.? The large number of Jewish thugs.

What's interesting about the Italian/Sicilian Mafia in the U.S.? The large number of Jewish thugs.

There were a lot of Jews involved in organized crime and the list you provided makes fascinating reading. But they tended to keep their Jewish roots in the background. It was the Irish and the Italians who ruled the roost.

There were a lot of Jews involved in organized crime and the list you provided makes fascinating reading. But they tended to keep their Jewish roots in the background. It was the Irish and the Italians who ruled the roost.

That changed during Prohibition. Jewish gangsters moved ahead of Irish gangsters during that time. Just look at Meyer Lansky and Bugsy Siegel. They helped to form the Syndicate. They were major players. The only Irish gangster, who came close, was Owney Madden. He saw the importance of cooperation. Other Irish gangsters (and Jewish gangsters) learned the hard way. It wasn't safe to be too independent without the backing of a crime corporation. Look what happened to Mad Dog Coll and Dutch Schultz. They ticked off the Board of Directors. In *2013*, the Russian mobsters might be at the top of the OC food chain.

• Like 2

haha nothing. actually if you read into it, the mafia originated in New Orleans i believe. Not sure with who, but it started there before spreading to NYC and other places.

Okay I honestly had no idea it all started here. I was reading about it on Wikipedia yesterday and recognised some of the family names, but I figured since NYC has always been the capital of the US, that it all started there with people moving out to Chicago then Vegas. Thanks for the info. :tu: