Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Three questions plus one

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,777 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:59 AM

View Postdanielost, on 19 March 2013 - 02:03 AM, said:

I cn agree with you on the evolution part.
Then we are in agreement.  Any person who says that evolution is proof that God doesn't exist, or that it is proof that life is just an accident is making unverifiable inferences based on evolution.

View Postdanielost, on 19 March 2013 - 02:03 AM, said:

As I have posted, according to the bible we are in the thirteenth day and according to science the universe is thirteen billionn years old.
I don't believe the Bible can provide us with information so specific, even if we're talking 13 billion years.  I'm not certain on what you are basing your assertion that we are in the thirteenth day, but my belief puts our human history right now at the Millennium of Revelation (although I do admit the possibility of being wrong).

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#17    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,447 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

View Postfullywired, on 18 March 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Alzheimers????????

fullywired
Is that enough for you?

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#18    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,447 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostRoyal, on 19 March 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

The best estimate as to the age of the universe is 13.7+ billion years btp. Would'nt that put us on day fourteen, according to the Bible's estimate?
No. Day one ends at midnight  at the end of the first day. Day two goes from the end of day one (Midnight) to the end of day 2 (1-3) thus day 13 goes from 12-14, making 13.7 right in day 13 . I'm not a creationist or biblical literalist. Also my maths might be wrong, but I remember the mess they made of calculating when the millenium actually ended; getting it a year early.

Edited by Mr Walker, 19 March 2013 - 10:20 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#19    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 206 posts

• ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 19 March 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

No. Day one ends at midnight  at the end of the first day. Day two goes from the end of day one (Midnight) to the end of day 2 (1-3) thus day 13 goes from 12-14, making 13.7 right in day 13 . I'm not a creationist or biblical literalist. Also my maths might be wrong, but I remember the mess they made of calculating when the millenium actually ended; getting it a year early.
   Think of each billion years as a century.Now, the calendar tells us it's the year 2013,yet we are in the 21st century. That's because counting years doesn't start at one, it starts at zero.

"you oughta be in here looking out"

#20    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,956 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostRoyal, on 19 March 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

Think of each billion years as a century.Now, the calendar tells us it's the year 2013,yet we are in the 21st century. That's because counting years doesn't start at one, it starts at zero.
sorry there is no year zero in our calendar.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#21    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,956 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostRoyal, on 19 March 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

The best estimate as to the age of the universe is 13.7+ billion years btp. Would'nt that put us on day fourteen, according to the Bible's estimate?

Day 14 will be a day of peace, ie 1000 years of peace.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#22    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,260 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

The Big Bang happened 13.7 billion years ago.  Does this help?

#23    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 206 posts

• ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

View Postdanielost, on 19 March 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

sorry there is no year zero in our calendar.
   Your first year of life is year zero. At the moment of your birth you start at zero,then 365 days later you turn 1 year old . One second later you enter your second year of life,even though you're not two yet, you are in the second year. The first year ACE was year zero,the first year after the Big Bang was year zero.

#24    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,293 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

IMHO, better questions would be:How do I make the best use of my time while I'm here? Who do I want to become? How do I achieve that? Do I choose to be in gratitude about being here or do I yearn to to be elsewhere? Sometimes these big questions about life take our focus away from the here & now and divert us from all the opportunities available to us all the time, anywhere. I'm always more interested in how people live and what they do than in what they think, because ultimately it's what we DO that counts.

#25    fullywired

fullywired

Government Agent

• 4,099 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 19 March 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

Is that enough for you?
Is what enough ? or are you just answering a question with a question as normal for you

fullywired :whistle:

Posted Image  

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-------Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

#26    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,940 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix, ******** can't be.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

View Postdanielost, on 18 March 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

Science and religon are trying to answer three basic guestions.

1. Where did I come from?

2. Who am I?

3. Where am I going.

Religon trys to answer one more question.

4.  Is this enough for me?

Hello Daniel, I think these questions are good ones. That one is even asking these things is wonderful IMO. They can be addressed and answered from many perspectives, ( this is why we educate ourselves and our youth-- to expose us to many ideas, not  to limit us to a few.)

I think the important point is to have many ways to ask and answer questions ( not be limited to just one answer-- or one perspective.) For me-- and what I taught my kids is to look at things in many ways, it is in this we increase our own understanding, knowledge, tolerance, it is in this we add to our own sense of self-- and most importantly-- we increase our own options as far as problem solving.

Edited by Sherapy, 19 March 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#27    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,956 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

View PostRoyal, on 19 March 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

Your first year of life is year zero. At the moment of your birth you start at zero,then 365 days later you turn 1 year old . One second later you enter your second year of life,even though you're not two yet, you are in the second year. The first year ACE was year zero,the first year after the Big Bang was year zero.

No actually, the year you are born is year one.  You celabrte it after the year is over.

#28    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

View Postdanielost, on 19 March 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

No actually, the year you are born is year one.  You celabrte it after the year is over.
You're not one year old until you turn one year old,and after that point you enter your second year. I don't know how old you are, but let's say you turned 15 yesterday,right now you are actually in your 16th year of life.You are not 16 yet but you are working you're way through you're 16th year.

#29    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,447 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

View PostRoyal, on 19 March 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

I think you are right. A child one year old is in their second year. As i said, it was my maths that was wrong. I started the example right, then  should have worked out that a child aged 13.7 is in their 14 th year But of course this is a construct and convention used in the gregorian calendar. One could start counting at 0 using a different convention. From memory, some cultures do/did have a different age system for children. Their first birthday was celebrated at birth, their second when they turned one.

View Postfullywired, on 19 March 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

Is what enough ? or are you just answering a question with a question as normal for you

fullywired :whistle:
Is altzheimers a reason enough? You gave it as one. Daniel's last question was, "Is that enough for you ?" You quoted his first 3 questions and your reply ( which I assumed was to his last question) was, "Altzheimers????"

Yes I understood you were being funny especially on a  third or fourth reading. So was I, and also illustrating how easy it is to misunderstand  a poster's comment or remark.

At first I honestly thought you were saying alzheimers was your reason for living. (I have lived with people consumed by altzheimers and indeed it can be all that exists of living.) At one point my main purpose in living was the care of my wife's parents who both had terminal progressive altzheimers. I thought maybe you were in a similar position.Only after a third or fourth reading did i get your joke  relating to daniels first 3 questions, and not his fourth at all.

Edited by Mr Walker, 20 March 2013 - 12:09 PM.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#30    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,260 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

Well in Vietnam your age is set by how many Tets you've celebrated, so if you were born a week before Tet you become one year old right away but if you were born a week after Tet its an entire year before you become one year old.  In effect everyone "ages" a year the same day.

By the way, don't let that make you think kids here had any problem also accepting the Western idea of birthdays, since they have ice cream and cake and presents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users