Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Birds evolve shorter wings to dodge traffic

Still Waters

Collisions with road vehicles are driving a population of swallows to evolve into faster, more agile fliers with shortened wings.

Natural selection has favoured birds that are better able to get out of the way of oncoming cars and trucks, scientists in the US discovered.

Survivors tend to have shorter wings that make it easier to take off quickly and pivot out of the path of danger.

http://www.dailymail...t-30-YEARS.html

I always thought that Natural Selection takes a very long time, thousands of years, to take any discernible effect. Consequently, therefore, this makes me suspicious. Have we been lied to all these years?

• Like 1

I always thought that Natural Selection takes a very long time, thousands of years, to take any discernible effect. Consequently, therefore, this makes me suspicious. Have we been lied to all these years?

Of course. :w00t:

It's about "four millimetres over the past 30 years"

It's about "four millimetres over the past 30 years"

Well, exactly. if it takes just that amount of time for a detectable difference to appear, why are we told that it took tens of thousands of years for Apes to stand upright, or for lizards to evolve legs, or vice versa? Something looks fishy to me.

Well, exactly. if it takes just that amount of time for a detectable difference to appear, why are we told that it took tens of thousands of years for Apes to stand upright, or for lizards to evolve legs, or vice versa? Something looks fishy to me.

Because those changes you mentioned are huge in comparison.

Personally I think it's nothing special, those 4 millimeters. It's about total wingspan, so 2 mm less on both sides. We're talking feathers here.

No. Small changes like this can happen generationally. Darwin observed this.

• Like 1