Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mission to Ganymede more tricky than expected

jupiter ganymede roscosmos jupiter icy moon explorer juice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,139 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Mission to Ganymede more tricky than expected

Voice of Russia said:

Russia's proposed landing mission to Ganymede was discussed extensively last week at an international meeting hosted by the Space Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The mission to explore, and perhaps to drill, the Solar system's largest moon, presumably in close cooperation with the European Space Agency, would be a major challenge for Russia's space and science industries. The project is generally approved, but success is far from assured.

The mission to Ganymede, now better known by the simple name of “Ganymede Lander”, is the latest reincarnation of Russia's contribution to the Laplas project, promoted by the European Space Agency (ESA) in the early 2000s. With Laplas becoming the single-spacecraft project JUICE (JUpiter ICy moon Explorer, until christened officially), Russian plans have also undergone major changes, although their main objective, sending a lander to Jupiter's biggest moon, remained intact. The initial aim was to explore Europa, a smaller Jovian moon, where there is an ocean of liquid water beneath its frozen surface (around 10 km thick) and is therefore considered a good prospect for the exploration of habitable conditions.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwķt éoredmęcg

• 4,840 posts

• Hige sceal že heardra, heorte že cenre, mod sceal že mare, že ure męgen lytlaš.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

I expect you'd have to change buses too.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,646 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

View Postealdwita, on 19 March 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

I expect you'd have to change buses too.

Yeah, the old Number 5 just doesn't go all the way anymore...

Also tagged with jupiter, ganymede, roscosmos, jupiter icy moon explorer, juice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users