Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Passenger Pigeon Back from Extinction Plans

passenger pigeon berkeley museum birds extinction ectopistes migratorius

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,003 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Twelve birds lie belly-up in a wooden drawer at the Berkeley Museum of Vertebrate Zoology. Bloated with stuffing, their ruddy brown chests resemble a row of sweet potatoes. Slate-blue heads and thin white tails protrude in perfect alignment, except for one bird that cranes its neck to face its neighbor. A pea-sized bulge of white cotton sits where its eye should be. A slip of paper tied to its foot reads, “Ectopistes migratorius. Manitoba. 1884.” This is the passenger pigeon, once the most abundant bird in North America. When Europeans first landed on the continent, they encountered billions of the birds. By 1914 they were extinct.

That may be about to change. Today scientists are meeting in Washington, D.C. to discuss a plan to bring the passenger pigeon back from extinction.

http://www.wired.com...-de-extinction/

Posted Image

#2    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

The passenger pigeon went extinct on my birthday. I have much sympathy for the pp.

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,998 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

I read once years ago about just how many passenger pigeons there were when westerners first immigrated to America (aloooot would be putting it mildly)....I'm not so sure bringing them back would be too great.  Unless you like everything to be covered in poop that is, in which case bring em back.

I think they shot as many as they could for a reason.

Edited by OverSword, 19 March 2013 - 09:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users