Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Budget 2013: The Key Points

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Will it be darker times to come for us… I just don’t trust someone that looks like they have been pulled out of a Happy Meal box… I hate that smug smirk he wears!!

The main announcements in the Chancellor George Osborne's 2013 Budget as they are outlined to MPs in the Commons.

Source

Edited by xsas, 20 March 2013 - 12:51 PM.

Posted Image

#2    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

View Postxsas, on 20 March 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

I just don’t trust someone that looks like they have been pulled out of a Happy Meal box… I hate that smug smirk he wears!!

I don't trust any of the government, they are all corrupt, greedy and selfish. They look out for their own, not the country.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#3    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,334 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

we needed a strong message sent out from the budget, but we got the same old. the one thing that effects every single one of us is fuel duty. and pushes up inflation/cost of living. why doesnt the government reduce the fuel tax by 50p that would see us back below £1 pound a litre. which we last seen in early 2001. if it doesnt work, the government simplyincreases borrowing something they currently do to cover the loss, but if it works and gives the economy a boost then we've lost nothing and gained everything.

Edited by stevewinn, 20 March 2013 - 03:15 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#4    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

I don't know why people moan about a £144 a week pension. Not only would you get this, but your council tax would be paid for you and so would your rent/mortgage via housing benefit. That's if you even have rent or a mortgage by that age. If you do, your life's gone wrong somewhere.

So over £580 a month to simply feed and heat yourself. A lot of people who work don't have anywhere near that left over after rent/council tax/PAYE tax - and that's before we think of those with families. Granted, it wouldn't be a life of luxury, but at the same time it's a far cry from poverty.

Unless I'm completely missing something?

#5    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

View Postxsas, on 20 March 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Will it be darker times to come for us… I just don’t trust someone that looks like they have been pulled out of a Happy Meal box… I hate that smug smirk he wears!!

Source

Give me George Osborne over Ed Balls anyday.  The public trust the Conservaties to run the economy more than they trust Labour.  And it's not Osborne who has the irritating smirk.  It's Balls.

This was a good budget.

600,000 new jobs are to be created next year.  1p has been taken off the price of a pint of beer and the 6p tax hike has been axed.  September's planned rise in fuel duty has been scrapped.  Corporation tax (the tax that businesses have to pay) is to be reduced by a further 1% to just 20%, meaning that Britain has the lowest rate of corporation tax of all the major economies (in the US it's 40%) and this should attract foreign companies to Britain.  Whitehall budgets are to be cut by 1% and the public sector pay cap of 1% is to be extended for a further year.  The deficit has been cut to 7.4% of GDP this year, compared to 11.2% in 2009/10.  Spending on infrastructure is to be boosted by £3 billion a year in 2015  Firms are to be offered a £2,000 cut in their total national insurance bill, which the Government hopes will encourage small companies to take on extra staff.

One bad point which stands out in this Budget is that Britain will this year meet its pledge to spend 0.7 per cent of its GDP on foreign aid, despite having to make cuts elsewhere.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 20 March 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#6    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,334 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 20 March 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

Give me George Osborne over Ed Balls anyday.  The public trust the Conservaties to run the economy more than they trust Labour.  And it's not Osborne who has the irritating smirk.  It's Balls.

This was a good budget.

600,000 new jobs are to be created next year.  1p has been taken off the price of a pint of beer and the 6p tax hike has been axed.  September's planned rise in fuel duty has been scrapped.  Corporation tax (the tax that businesses have to pay) is to be reduced by a further 1% to just 20%, meaning that Britain has the lowest rate of corporation tax of all the major economies (in the US it's 40%) and this should attract foreign companies to Britain.  Whitehall budgets are to be cut by 1% and the public sector pay cap of 1% is to be extended for a further year.  The deficit has been cut to 7.4% of GDP this year, compared to 11.2% in 2009/10.  Spending on infrastructure is to be boosted by £3 billion a year in 2015  Firms are to be offered a £2,000 cut in their total national insurance bill, which the Government hopes will encourage small companies to take on extra staff.

One bad point which stands out in this Budget is that Britain will this year meet its pledge to spend 0.7 per cent of its GDP on foreign aid, despite having to make cuts elsewhere.

and to add, raised the tax allowance to £10,000. which is welcomed.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#7    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,656 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

This was a good budget.

You missed this..
Debt as a share of GDP to increase from 75.9% this year to 85.6% in 2016-17

You also missed that many of these measures do not come into effect for 2 years (after the next General Election).

That of the 600,000 new jobs "thought" to be created next year, it will only lead to 60,000 reduction in JSA Claimants, and lets not forget that the floodgates of immigration for Rumania and Bulgaria open in just 9 months with no firm measures in place to prevent them from flooding the country with NHS Claims, Housing Claims, Child Support claims etc etc Which will blow all of the projections out of the water. So my projection is for a massive increase in JSA claimants next year

Cloud Cuckoo Land is a nice place to live, where Politicians are Honest....IMO

ps when I left the UK, Corporation Tax (that I paid) was actually just 19%

Edited by keithisco, 20 March 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#8    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

View PostCoffey, on 20 March 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

I don't trust any of the government, they are all corrupt, greedy and selfish. They look out for their own, not the country.

Took the word's right out of my mouth.......

Posted Image

#9    shrooma

shrooma

Needs an exorcist, not a shrink....

• 3,309 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

personally, I prefer the motorhead approach to tackling the debt problem with their wonderful 'eat the rich' policy.
lemmy kilmister for prime minister!!
:-)

"The 'great' British public, they don't understand- 'why should there be riots in this 'civilised' land?'
'why is this country being brought to its knees?'
because ignorance, is the British disease."

#10    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

1p has been taken off the price of a pint of beer

One whole penny?

Woohoo!!!

Let's get shitfaced!

Posted Image

#11    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 21 March 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

One whole penny?

Woohoo!!!

Let's get shitfaced!

Posted Image

If you drink 30 pints of beer a week (and my mate next door drinks a lot more than that), it means that with 1p knocked off the price of a pint it will save you almost £16 a year.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 21 March 2013 - 10:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users