Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Arrogance of Ferry's knife-carrying son

no justice bryan ferry merlin ferry

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

One of Bryan Ferry's sons avoided jail yesterday after being caught carrying  a knife for a second time.

Merlin Ferry, 22, had told police to go away and 'investigate real crime' when he was found with the weapon.

Officers stopped the student in his uninsured Saab and were searching for drugs when they arrested him for carrying the knife. He told the officers: 'You can unarrest me now.

Read more

Posted Image

#2    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

Wow, you guys can't even carry a knife?  Jesus... was it a pocket knife or a sword?

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,117 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Woooooo 6 whole months if he's caught with one again? Maybe 6 years would make him change his tune.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#4    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Happy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

• I'll scream for you in whispers, because I always hated being too loud.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

must be nice to come from a privileged and rich family....if i was caught driving an uninsured vehicle thatd be about 3 grand i think? not including impound fees tow fees and everything else. also correct me if im wrong but lock knifes are prohibited weapons in the u.k are they not?

#5    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostIron_Lotus, on 20 March 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

must be nice to come from a privileged and rich family....if i was caught driving an uninsured vehicle thatd be about 3 grand i think? not including impound fees tow fees and everything else. also correct me if im wrong but lock knifes are prohibited weapons in the u.k are they not?

That's what happens when you ban guns.  Then you can't even have a knife that won't fold in and screw up your fingers...  Anyway, I'm just dumbfounded, that's all I have.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#6    Oscar77

Oscar77

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Maximum of £5000 for driving without insurance it's usually about £2500.

It wasn't that long ago that the government were saying they were going to crack down on people carrying knifes.
Increased penalty for offence of having article with blade or point in public place.
on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum, or both;
on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or a fine, or both.
But that obviously only counts for working class plebs.
Yet more proof of out failing court system.

#7    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,052 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 20 March 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

Wow, you guys can't even carry a knife?  Jesus... was it a pocket knife or a sword?
The real question that you should be asking is "Why carry a banned knife in the first place". There is not a tradition of hunting in the UK, so carrying a knife (whilst driving your Saab in City duds) is really not defensible.

He sounds more like a Chav, trying to impress his little girl or boy friends. "Normal" folk would be banned from driving for a year under the Totting Up" rules, and fined in the Thousands.

What a wonderful contribution to Society he will be.. :passifier:

#8    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

I don't see the problem.

In the old days every young man always carried a penknife in his pocket.

Believe it or not, even Boy Scouts are all but banned from carrying penknives these days.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 20 March 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#9    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 20 March 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

The real question that you should be asking is "Why carry a banned knife in the first place". There is not a tradition of hunting in the UK, so carrying a knife (whilst driving your Saab in City duds) is really not defensible.

What has a knife got to do with hunting? There are a lot of people, that do actual physical labor for a living. and keep a knife at least four inches long in their pocket at all times for various reasons. I keep one like that in my purse for opening UPS boxes, cutting binding tape off bundles of metal rods, etc., at the shop If I don't have my purse handy I know my husband always has his. They've even come in handy at weddings, when the event coordinator discovered at the last minute, flower stems were too long and had nothing to cut them with. Who carries a knife to a wedding...apparently only we did. :P

#10    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,052 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostMichelle, on 20 March 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

What has a knife got to do with hunting? There are a lot of people, that do actual physical labor for a living. and keep a knife at least four inches long in their pocket at all times for various reasons. I keep one like that in my purse for opening UPS boxes, cutting binding tape off bundles of metal rods, etc., at the shop If I don't have my purse handy I know my husband always has his. They've even come in handy at weddings, when the event coordinator discovered at the last minute, flower stems were too long and had nothing to cut them with. Who carries a knife to a wedding...apparently only we did. :P

Clearly this idiot has never done actual Physical Labour in his entire (albeit short) life. So my argument stands - when in Rome do as the Romans do - you know the Law and you break it at your peril. I respect the Laws in the Nation in which I live, I make a point of not contravening them. The Law in the USA is clearly much more lax than in the UK in terms of carying weapons - but this doesnt mean that you can adopt USA Laws whilst in the UK. It doesnt work that way

When I holidayed in the USA last year I knew that there was a Law that meant I could not carry alcohol (Californian wine in this case) inside the hire car - I had it locked away in the trunk when driving (there is no such law in UK or Spain).

This fool knew the law of the land but chose to contravene it anyway - so no sympathy from me for him.

Edited by keithisco, 20 March 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#11    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

I wasn't actually defending the guy, I just think it's a rather ridiculous law. Carrrying one is so run of the mill for so many people we wouldn't even think to tell a police officer if they asked if we had a weapon.

Edited by Michelle, 20 March 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#12    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,052 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

View PostMichelle, on 20 March 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

I wasn't actually defending the guy, I just think it's a rather ridiculous law. Carrrying one is so run of the mill for so many people we wouldn't even think to tell a police officer if they asked if we had a weapon.
I understand that Michelle, but if you know the Law, yet break it anyway, then there is no-one to blame but yourself. Had he actually needed the knife in his (non-existent) day job then the Police have sufficient latitude just to issue a caution, with nothing more said. As it was he was driving an Uninsured car, was pulled over for an undisclosed Moving Traffic Violation, then tried to get smart with the Police. Doesnt matter what country you live in, show respect to the Police and never try the "Do you know who I am" ploy :unsure2:

Edited by keithisco, 20 March 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#13    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,129 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 20 March 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

That's what happens when you ban guns.  Then you can't even have a knife that won't fold in and screw up your fingers...  Anyway, I'm just dumbfounded, that's all I have.

Yes, & what also happens is you get a annual gun related death rate of 14 compared with a U.S. rate of 9,369 :o how dumbfounding is that?

Edited by itsnotoutthere, 20 March 2013 - 07:53 PM.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#14    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 20 March 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

I don't see the problem.

In the old days every young man always carried a penknife in his pocket.

Believe it or not, even Boy Scouts are all but banned from carrying penknives these days.

Penknives generally aren't illegal.

#15    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 20 March 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

Yes, & what also happens is you get a annual gun related death rate of 14 compared with a U.S. rate of 9,369 :o how dumbfounding is that?
14? Where did you get that value?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users