Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Age of Empires 2 HD

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

I don't know if anyone is aware. But I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. I have pre-ordered it as right now if you pre-order you get 10% off and I've heard you will get to play the game 5 days before the release.

What are people thoughts on this?

Anyone wondering if Age of Empires will make yet another comeback?

#2    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Age of Empire 2 isa game that is definitely worth of re-releasing and recieving a make over, but why didn't they upgrade the animation quality? :hmm:

#3    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 20 March 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

Age of Empire 2 isa game that is definitely worth of re-releasing and recieving a make over, but why didn't they upgrade the animation quality? :hmm:

I did notice that too, perhaps they wanted to retain that sprite style effect?

I had really been hoping for a new complete overhaul but the main aspect I'm looking forward to about this is the fact people will be back into playing it. Sure, there are still many people who continue to play the old version online but hopefully this will bring more people to the table.

#4    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hm, I cannot believe they want to retain this effect. I mean, the animation quality was pretty dreadful even back then!

If you are looking for online play, it's certainly going to help the community that there is an updated version.

#5    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Fudge

• 6,682 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 20 March 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

I did notice that too, perhaps they wanted to retain that sprite style effect?

I had really been hoping for a new complete overhaul but the main aspect I'm looking forward to about this is the fact people will be back into playing it. Sure, there are still many people who continue to play the old version online but hopefully this will bring more people to the table.

thats pretty much exactly it keep the nostalgia without recreating to much. much like they did with the baldurs gate enhanced edition

edit: for the most part

Edited by Iron_Lotus, 21 March 2013 - 11:57 PM.

The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass and dictators die and the power they took from the people, will return to the people and so long as men die liberty will never perish... Soldiers don't give yourselves to brutes, men who despise you, enslave you, who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think or what to feel, who drill you, diet you, treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder... Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men, machine men, with machine minds and machine hearts.  You are not machines. You are not cattle. You are men. You have the love of humanity in your hearts.

#6    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

Anyone else got this yet? Any thoughts?

I've recognised people have had a few hardware specific bugs.

Last time I checked it was also the top seller on steam. I have played a couple multiplayer games with a friend with only a few small bugs here and there. When I hosted a game with about 6 people. The lag was extreme (3-4 second delay). This was also on a high unit volume map as well.

#7    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

• States are domed when they are unable to distinguish good men from bad.

- Antisthenes.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

A few of my friends pre-ordered it..

Of the few games I know, this and Diablo II deserve to be re-released in HD.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#8    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,502 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

I assume the lesser graphics are do to keeping the size down.    If they are really pushing the muliplayer part, this would make sense.

What is new in this version?  Also I noticed that Steam sell an Age of Empires 2 HD - 4 pack.    I guess that is rights for 4 computers?
Is this download only?

#9    ChewiesArmy

ChewiesArmy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

• When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. - Cherokee

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:51 AM

I never played Age of Empires...maybe now is a good time. Funny thing is, I love Age of Mythology.

"And how do you know God doesn't swear? Especially taking a good look at the human race, it must be a part of his daily ritual" -Lewis Black

#10    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

• States are domed when they are unable to distinguish good men from bad.

- Antisthenes.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

View PostChewiesArmy, on 16 April 2013 - 02:51 AM, said:

I never played Age of Empires...maybe now is a good time. Funny thing is, I love Age of Mythology.

It is simply one of the greatest games made for PC.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#11    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

View PostMyles, on 15 April 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

I assume the lesser graphics are do to keeping the size down.    If they are really pushing the muliplayer part, this would make sense.

What is new in this version?  Also I noticed that Steam sell an Age of Empires 2 HD - 4 pack.    I guess that is rights for 4 computers?
Is this download only?

They haven't changed anything to gameplay. Mainly a multiplayer revival and higher resolution models. Some they replaced because they couldn't salvaged them from the oringal files as some were lost after Ensumble Studios becoming defunct. It also adds a steam workshop feature which allows mods to be easily downloaded and added to the game.

To my understanding buying the 4-pack saves you some money and they would be for four steam accounts. Yes it is download only.

#12    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:38 AM

View PostChewiesArmy, on 16 April 2013 - 02:51 AM, said:

Would be great to see an Age of Mythology HD edition. Due to the success of AOE2HD being a top seller for quite a while now on steam I no doubt believe they would see this revival system to be quite lucrative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users