Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Xbox 720 XDK confirms mandatory game installs

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

At the beginning of February there was a rumor that Microsoft intended to make the Xbox 720 require an Internet connection to function. In doing so, it would ultimately wipe out the used games market for the next-gen console. That rumor has now been backed up by a document included with the Xbox development kit for the new hardware, known as the XDK.

Installing the XDK opens up access to the help documentation and a page titled “Durango Hardware Overview.” Now this document is marked as preliminary and subject to change, but goes into detail about what to expect the Xbox 720 hardware to include.

The key part of this document is in paragraph 6, which states that every Durango console will include a hard drive big enough to hold a “large number of games.” The machine will also not support “play from the optical disc.” The next paragraph details how games will ship on Blu-ray discs, must be installed, but will allow play to start as the installation is happening (similar to the system Sony is using for the PS4).

-------------

The fact games don’t use the optical drive and media post install would mean you could give the game to someone else to install. Microsoft won’t accept that so it looks pretty much guaranteed you’ll have to activate your game online and therefore tie the copy to your account. In other words, no game trade ins or a used game market.

http://www.geek.com/...nsole-20130320/

Goodbye Microsoft, hello PS4.

#2    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

Kuh-rap!

Well, see this is what I am going to do, continue to buy pre-owned 360 and new releases until I am completely happy with my personal library otherwise I have been turned to the Darkside too.

If this has indeed been confirmed and there is very little slim chance this is unfounded, I could care less if Microsoft went the way of Sega.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#3    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

This means that u can install the game like the 360.anyways iam geting a ps
Ms will lose people doing all this stuff

#4    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

I plan on keeping my 360 console and obtaining a 40-60 game library and holding on to that, alot of the games I want are cheapies anyways under $10 or $20 with several new releases coming out this year.

Then I will move on to the PS4.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#5    Doctor manhattan

Doctor manhattan

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 146 posts

• What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books.
    -sigmund frued

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

If they do this i swear to god i will buy a playstation.

#6    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

View PostB Jenkins, on 20 March 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

Kuh-rap!

Well, see this is what I am going to do, continue to buy pre-owned 360 and new releases until I am completely happy with my personal library otherwise I have been turned to the Darkside too.

If this has indeed been confirmed and there is very little slim chance this is unfounded, I could care less if Microsoft went the way of Sega.

It's not been confirmed by Microsoft, just (supposedly) a games developer working on the new platform.

I've been thinking, and I might just work on a high end PC instead.

#7    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 20 March 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

It's not been confirmed by Microsoft, just (supposedly) a games developer working on the new platform.

I've been thinking, and I might just work on a high end PC instead.

High end PC...? Hmmm... Planetside 2 and Hawken...!  *staried eyed*

That might not be a bad idea.

#8    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 21 March 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

High end PC...? Hmmm... Planetside 2 and Hawken...!  *staried eyed*

That might not be a bad idea.

Well the thing about a PC is that you can get a mid-range one for quite a reasonable price then upgrade it as time goes by. That is, if you are like me and don't have the cash for a truly high end quad core i7 processor and high end graphics card.

#9    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

PC is the way to go, there is rumours Sony are doing this as well and I wouldn't put it past them at all.

But in a way PC is already doing this now with the likes of steam and origin etc, but it tends to be a lot cheaper.

I doubt i will be buying nay of the next gen consoles. Said before though, would love Sega to make a come back in the console market.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#10    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

• I see shadows on the road again wonder if they coming for my soul. I get trapped up in this mode I'm in and will I every grow old.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostCoffey, on 21 March 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

PC is the way to go, there is rumours Sony are doing this as well and I wouldn't put it past them at all.

But in a way PC is already doing this now with the likes of steam and origin etc, but it tends to be a lot cheaper.

I doubt i will be buying nay of the next gen consoles. Said before though, would love Sega to make a come back in the console market.

sega genesis ftw!

#11    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostIron_Lotus, on 21 March 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

sega genesis ftw!

It was called the Mega Drive over here, but a lot of games here had "Genesis" down the side and it wasn't until years later that I realised why. lol

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#12    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

Only reason I might switch to a high end PC is for Battlefield 4.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#13    Vaise

Vaise

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VaiseShepard/videos

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

Pretty sure i read sony stated used games are safe and will be appearing on there system.

Posted Image

I’d rather trust and regret than doubt and regret:- Kirito

#14    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostVaise, on 27 March 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

Pretty sure i read sony stated used games are safe and will be appearing on there system.

Yes Sony has confirmed PS4 will not block used games. I doubt NextBox will either. Both Sony and MS will work with publishers to come up with other ways to make money from used games, such as Online Passes.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#15    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,711 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

MS and Sony have decided to switch directions this next generation apparently. The 720 has mandatory game installs, mandatory always on, always connected, camera always going, no used games. The PS4 seems to give users more freedom and flexibility in terms of how they want to play and interact, nothing seems forced at all. Also, the PS4 is rumored to be 30% more powerful. It could all be a tactic my MS though. Letting everyone expect the worst, then deliver the best. Balmer can be pretty slick from time to time.

Edited by WoIverine, 28 March 2013 - 06:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users