Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Placebo drugs given by 'most family doctors'

placebo drugs doctors medicine

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 23 March 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

This was what leapt off the page at me too! How are doctors in the UK writing out prescriptions for 'sugar pills'? Unless they're private doctors maybe?
They aren't. See my above post :)

The actual figure quoted for doctors giving 'real placebos', either a sugar pill or saline injection, was 12%. About 90 from the sample of 783. Which leads me to believe there's a possibility a very few number of GPs have given patients saline injections or possibly Tic Tacs* right there in the surgery when they present with their symptoms, and basically saying "This'll sort your right out! On yer way, now."

*only kidding ;)

Posted Image

#17    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,324 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

It's okay to inject salt into people willy-nilly? :o

What, in all the world, could I do to earn my living and still live as myself, as I knew myself to be? Temporary masks, I knew, had their place; everyone was wearing them, they were the human rage; but not masks cemented in place until the wearer could not breathe and was eventually suffocated.

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

I have noticed one thing -- doctors here in VN always give you an injection no matter what ails you.  I've always wondered and so always asked for a prescription instead, and hip-ho no problem.  Where's my pen?  I figure they give you something good if there's something good to give you, otherwise they give you some vitamins or tonic or something like that.

Normally if you are sick here you go to a pharmacist (although small clinics are everywhere too and easy to walk into without an appointment -- they deal mostly with pregnancy issues and routine injuries).  The pharmacist asks you a bunch of questions and then gives you a few packets of pills, each packet containing three or four of something.  They are labeled so I can check the internet and see what they are, and they seem to be sensible enough -- mostly symptom relief but sometimes something more potent.  All quite cheap.  They seem to have a formulary that they have memorized.

There are also the Chinese pharmacies, where something similar happens except you don't know what you get.  Still, for things like my hay fever, it works.  Nowadays with my diabetes and my blood pressure and my liver and whatnot, I have about a dozen pills I have to take probably for the rest of my life.  The only one that I am nervous about is an anti-viral against the hepatitis, but I take it and the others as ordered.  I don't need prescriptions for any of these but of course monitoring blood glucose and blood pressure takes special equipment -- things I get for free (I'm not sure why).

They are really gung-ho now about sonograms, and lately every three months they've been sonogramming almost all of me.  They are concerned about some blockage or something going to my brain and of course they watch my liver.  If you are gonna have a cluster of chronic problems like me, I think Vietnam is a good place to live.  The most a whole day at one of the larger clinic/hospitals, going through the whole routine, has ever cost me was 800,000 vnd -- $40 US, and truth to tell I think they are far more thorough and just as competent as in the States.

#19    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Ouija, no its not okay. Its better than giving people antibiotics for a viral infection though. It is a small number of GPs admitting to saline injections or sugar pills that at least, not what the article would have us believe. But whenever you break the skin there is always a chance of introducing pathogens.

Frank, in Vietnam can you buy antibiotics without a prescription? Just interested :)

Posted Image

#20    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

I suspect probably so, although you would no doubt get a lecture and a bunch of questions as to why you want it.  You would have to ask for it by name, and few Vietnamese ask for specific drugs -- as I said they just answer questions and are given something.  I think there are a few that are not available through pharmacies except pharmacies in hospitals.  

They are very slow to give out Cipro to Westerners who ask for it (this seems to be the thing westerners automatically want when they have travel-trouble, and I strongly doubt a Vietnamese could get it without going to a clinic, but it would be available there if the doctor thought it needed (westerners get away with a lot of things).  

One friend of mine who had a tooth abscess got an antibiotic (I don't remember which one) for that from his dentist after the abscess was removed, but a dentist is not much different from a doctor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users