Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Guantanamo Bay prison will get $195m makeover

guantanamo prison

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

President Barack Obama famously promised in early 2009 to close the US military's detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba within 12 months. But new Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is instead considering a proposal from his top commanders to spend $195.7 million renovating it and erecting a new prison building.

The new construction would include $49 to house high-value targets like Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind behind the 9/11 terror attacks, whose initial detention and interrogation was handled by the Central Intelligence Agency

Read more

Posted Image

#2    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

What do the Cuban authorities do if someone escapes from there?

#3    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,061 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 23 March 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

What do the Cuban authorities do if someone escapes from there?

Probably arrest them. Having been to Cuba, they are no fans of radicals. Yes they glamorize the Revolution, however that is for Political Terms, Cuba is a very safe Country and they would rather not have to deal with Islamic Radicals.

To be honest I think it is a good idea to keep a prison for high value targets in a not so easily attacked location. However it needs oversight and shouldn't be kept in the dark like it was under the Bush Administration.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#4    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

♔ AVATAR Korra

• 8,262 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

Are you freaking kidding me? [Bangs head]

#5    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,964 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

I don't get it. It's already "new". It was built up and rebuilt after 9/11. This smells fishy.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#6    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,691 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Smells fishy to me too... moneysharks in the waters... Blows my mind that the gov cuts spending on things like air traffic control towers but has millions to spend updating a prison that was supposed to get shut down.

#7    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

View Postxsas, on 23 March 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

Sounds about right,make a promise,do not keep it.All the gullible will drink the kool aid anyways and like it  :clap:   Its called politics people nothing fishy,nothing to see here....Thanks for your tax dollars and your votes though  :tu:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#8    iNvRG

iNvRG

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

I guess the mentality is it's not "my" money so I don't care. They find any reason to spend more and more. The worse though is straight up giving money away to foreign countries.

"We as humans believe in a superior being because we as humans can not comprehend the magnitude of our own existence"

#9    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:56 AM

Bad form. And I thought the Obama administrations approach to terrorism wasn't to detain suspects but to blow them to smithereens with drones.

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#10    Collateral Damage

Collateral Damage

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

• "Anti-Americanism is a pure totalitarian concept. The very notion is idiotic."

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:34 AM

They're preparing for N. Korean terrorists! All jokes aside, this is a ridiculous idea, and complete waste of money. The amount of improvement our country needs is immense. This money is being wasted on a makeover, but could be spent on such better ideas, and yet our government acts as if none exist.

Undated letter from J.F.K. said:

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten."

#11    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:45 AM

View PostCollateral Damage, on 24 March 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

They're preparing for N. Korean terrorists! All jokes aside, this is a ridiculous idea, and complete waste of money. The amount of improvement our country needs is immense. This money is being wasted on a makeover, but could be spent on such better ideas, and yet our government acts as if none exist.

Yeah did you hear this was actually all requested by the inmates?A feel good story this is for all tax paying Americans,appeasing the enemy.Warms the heart doesnt it  <_<

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#12    Collateral Damage

Collateral Damage

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

• "Anti-Americanism is a pure totalitarian concept. The very notion is idiotic."

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:12 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 24 March 2013 - 04:45 AM, said:

Yeah did you hear this was actually all requested by the inmates?A feel good story this is for all tax paying Americans,appeasing the enemy.Warms the heart doesnt it  <_<
A $195mil makeover due to requests of inmates. Is that fact?

Undated letter from J.F.K. said:

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten."

#13    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

View PostCollateral Damage, on 24 March 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

A $195mil makeover due to requests of inmates. Is that fact?

That is exactly how it was worded on 3 different news channels yesterday,said the inmates requested it to make them feel more accommodated.Not sure the inmates requested the whole 195 mil worth,im sure a few crooks decided they needed a few dollars in spare change aswell.

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

Prisons don't come cheap.  There is a lot you have to do that you don't have to do with ordinary structures.

#15    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,311 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Aug. 2, 2007: Sen. Barack Obama makes a simple promise he will often repeat to loud domestic -- and foreign -- applause during his $750 million presidential campaign:

As President, I will close Guantanamo, reject the Military Commissions Act and adhere to the Geneva Conventions. Our Constitution and our Uniform Code of Military Justice provide a framework for dealing with the terrorists.

http://latimesblogs....guantanamo.html

I'm having a hard time figuring out who the moron is - Obama or the fools that believed this and voted for him.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

Also tagged with guantanamo, prison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users