Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Meteor lights up U.S. East Coast

meteors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:24 AM

Meteor lights up East Coast -- and social media

cnn.com said:

(CNN) -- The streaking ball of fire Friday night above the East Coast did not, alas, signal the end to civilization as we know it.

Though you might get that sense from social media.

The sky lit up along the U.S. Eastern Seaboard with reports of "a thin streak of blue-greenish-white" from people like Chip Guy, who was driving in eastern Maryland when he and his family he spotted it.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

It came over long island.did u see the video it looks like it was tumbling very cool

#3    TwilightSilver

TwilightSilver

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

Any videos to post? Gotta sleep for work but would love to see some eyewitness footage on here tomorrow!

"I'm struggling to say what I want to... but you hurt my brain so much with your nonsense..."

Quote of the week: "When are people going to learn? The rapture is like a health inspection. They don't anounce when they're coming, otherwise you could let things go all year and clean everything up right before they come. The plan is to catch you off guard, so they can see what state things are kept in an on going basis." - ZeddKnite

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostTwilightSilver, on 25 March 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

Any videos to post?
There is a video in the CNN article I quoted. I didn't want to post it here because of copyright issues, but follow the link and your wish will be fulfilled.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,086 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

The Russians outdid us with their earth-shattering kaboom meteor. :D

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 25 March 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

The Russians outdid us with their earth-shattering kaboom meteor. :D
I'm sure they would have been quite happy for the USA to "win" that one.

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Small Asteroid Behind East Coast Meteor Friday

news.discovery.com said:

The dramatic fireball that lit up skies over the U.S. East Coast on Friday evening was caused by an asteroid just 3 feet (0.9 meters) or so wide, scientists say.

Such boulder-size asteroids slam into Earth's atmosphere every two or three days, so Friday's "Manhattan meteor" -- which shone as brightly as the full moon and was apparently visible from Maine to North Carolina -- wasn't a terribly rare event. But the sensation it created on Twitter and other social media outlets is understandable nonetheless, said NASA meteor expert Bill Cooke.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users