Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ready for the apocalypse!

preppers apocalypse end of days

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Imagine if suddenly, and completely without warning, the world experienced a total blackout – no electricity, no mobile phones, no banks, no internet, no TV, no emergency services. Nothing.

Highways quickly become jammed with cars that have ground to a halt; an aeroplane falls from the sky; a satellite view of the planet shows it rapidly plunging into darkness.

As it becomes apparent that the lights are never coming back on, nations are plunged into chaos, mass riots break out in major cities and, without electricity, governments are toppled. Into the vacuum step ad-hoc militias, armed and ready to enforce their own rule of law.

This is the apocalyptic premise of the hit American TV series Revolution, which begins on Sky 1 this week. In the first episode, viewers are pulled through this nightmarish chain of events.

View: Read More

Posted Image

#2    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,591 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

I'll be ok I have some Baked Beans haha

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Sorry but the premise sounds stupid, and how the stories would go very predictable.

#4    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Mankind will find a way.  Did you know that about 70,000 years ago we as a species just almost checked out?  When Toba blew it's top, according to DNA evidence...we just almost went the way of the Dodo.  It is suggested that the entire human population was reduced to something like 20,000 people...that is across the entire earth...and look at us today.

We can do this...we are an extremely clever species.  Sure, alot of dumb folks are not going to make it...hell, I prob won't make it.  But I have faith that humanity will survive just about anything that gets thrown at us.  It might cause a total collapse and a return to stone age living...but we can do this...we have done it before.

Not everyone is cut out to make it through the hard times.  Some who think they are still will not make it...arrogance serves no one.  Those humble souls who have learned the ways of nature...who knows what to eat, who knows when to sew and when to reap...they will get through it.  Money and power has zero to do with it in the big, long haul.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Yea -- that's basically the Hollywood version.

#6    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 24 March 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Yea -- that's basically the Hollywood version.

I assume that snarkiness was fired at me?

Whatever...I'd think you might know history and geology a tad bit better.  As being from the general area...I'd think you might know some history of Toba...maybe not.  If you do not know Toba, I suggest you get acquainted with it...it is not a dead monster...it is simply sleeping.  If you think that the East is going to rise up like a dragon and rule the world...nope, not going to happen.  Nature will smash it...like it always has....always will.

I generally appreciate your opinions Frank, but you are dead wrong if you are shooting at me...history DOES repeat itself...the east will never ever rule the world...nature has proven that over and over and over...just about the time you have power, you get smashed by mother earth.  Not meant to be and never will be.

We are headed to a very weird time....entering odd places that we have never been in recorded history.

I have serious respect for the far eastern culture...but I am fully aware of the geological history as well and it would appear that something, somewhere is not going to let that dream come to fruition....

The western ideals are the future...and they will not die anytime soon.  Imperialism is dead....communism is a dieing monster....neither could or would ever stop the growing beast we now know in the west.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#7    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,065 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

We are kind of preppers. Not really because we think the end of the world could be coming... But rather we have seen it a few times when bad weather screwed up a place for weeks or months.... and also we had a personal "grid failure" while still living in the city.
So we decided to move to the boonies and get a bit off grid. Try to control our resources a bit and become homesteaders. Need a generator, because sometimes the power goes out, sometimes for days. Need to have a stocked pantry, because sometimes you can get snowed in for days. Grow a big garden, because then we might not have to face the choice between food or heat again.
We aren't as prepped as the folks in the article though.

#8    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,363 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

The problem I have with the idea of preparing for an apocalypse is that there are so many different kinds of apocalypses of different magnitudes.  An economic collapse has completely different survival needs from an infectious disease outbreak or from a natural disaster.  The magnitude of the event also has to be figured in as well.  A tornado is different from say a hurricane which is in turn different from the Yellowstone caldera exploding.  And to be honest, people are already having problems right now with their finances and resources.  How are they going to get enough to set aside in preparation for the most severe of these events?

Not saying that having a basic survival kit for a short term emergency is bad, but the degree that the people go to in the article is a tad extreme.

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Sometimes I just can't resist -- that was such an alluring target.  That may be a problem with staying on boards for awhile -- over time you p*** the participants off one by one.

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Nothing is forever and we all die sooner or later.  Apocalypse at the moment is close to the least of my worries.

#11    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• 2,078 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Whatever Frank...yeah that is some serious contributions to conversation..."Oh I couldn't resist shining my @ss at someone"...nice work...and you are what?....14 years old?
Posted Image

Just telling it like the historical and geological record shows....the Mongolians are the only ones that ever made a huge impact oustide of the region...and when they met the Ukranians...that didn't go so well.  Not talking about trade and exploration, I am talking about conquest.

For every zealot, there is another zealot even more convinced they are right....how about we put zealotry aside and figure out how to live and work together for a brighter tomorrow?

Edited by Jeremiah65, 24 March 2013 - 07:16 PM.

Posted Image

#12    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

Revolution has already been running in the US. I guess it's just now going to be across the pond - on sky. You're not missing anything. The premise is stupid. "electricity" stops working for some reason that they don't reveal. I suspect because the producers know full well the premise defies physics. It's kind of like "Lost" and that sucked in the end as well.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#13    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

View Postninjadude, on 25 March 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

Revolution has already been running in the US. I guess it's just now going to be across the pond - on sky. You're not missing anything. The premise is stupid. "electricity" stops working for some reason that they don't reveal. I suspect because the producers know full well the premise defies physics. It's kind of like "Lost" and that sucked in the end as well.

Watched a bit of an episode the other day. The TV ads made it seem pretty cool, but it came off a bit far fetched to me.

And I agree Lost ended badly, started off so good as well.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 24 March 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

Whatever Frank...yeah that is some serious contributions to conversation..."Oh I couldn't resist shining my @ss at someone"...nice work...and you are what?....14 years old?
Posted Image

Just telling it like the historical and geological record shows....the Mongolians are the only ones that ever made a huge impact oustide of the region...and when they met the Ukranians...that didn't go so well.  Not talking about trade and exploration, I am talking about conquest.

For every zealot, there is another zealot even more convinced they are right....how about we put zealotry aside and figure out how to live and work together for a brighter tomorrow?
Sheesh!  I try to be nice and get that.  Sheesh again.

#15    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,708 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 24 March 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

The Mongols had no problems defeating the Ukranians, or any other European power. The only thing that stopped them was that their leaders kept dying, since they had to attend the Kurultai in Mongolia to determine the next Khan. Otherwise they may well have continued all the way to the Atlantic.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

Also tagged with preppers, apocalypse, end of days

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users