Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ready for the apocalypse!

preppers apocalypse end of days

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

View Postninjadude, on 25 March 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

Revolution has already been running in the US. I guess it's just now going to be across the pond - on sky. You're not missing anything. The premise is stupid. "electricity" stops working for some reason that they don't reveal. I suspect because the producers know full well the premise defies physics. It's kind of like "Lost" and that sucked in the end as well.
Exactly, it is beyond lame to believe you can flick a switch that stops "electricity" itself existing on the sphere.  I couldn't help wondering what would happen in their little world if I rubbed my feet on the carpet and "tried to zap a friend" :su

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#17    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

I just love prepers i have a thought or two of becoming one myself.. This is not about crazy paranoid people or end of the earth ( yea when one says apocalypse people usually have this ideas of end of the planet... ) this is about being ready for what might come.. Right now we have very unstable weather, reports of various outbreaks of new disesases, space rocks freely hitting earth, imminent financial/economic collapse, drug resistant viruses, and list could go on...

If any of this events goes global you can expect chaos.. and if you are a preper you have huge chances of making out of it alive or healthy, meanwhile most will perish. 3 years ago i too thought they are paranoid abit, but seening picture of world today i think they are very smart and most of people should do the same.

Governments wont or wont be able to help in serious scenarios ( already seen so far ).. You will be THE help..

RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service App is available on site!

And just Russia Today...

#18    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 5,158 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

90% of all preppers are not prepairing for the end of the world as we know it. They are preparing for the next big storm, that cuts power for a week or 2. They are preparing for a possible job loss. Etc

Remember Grocery stores have at best 3 days worth of food on there shelves, same with the average family. Most people go grocery shopping a few times a week. Having a little food and water and other supplies on hand to survive a week or two or even a month to me makes sense. For instance what happens when you can't afford food because you lost your job?

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#19    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,376 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

I'll just add that right now we have heavy snowfall in end of March i havent seen anything like it before... in Russia they have Blizzard of century... in New York there is a bacterial outbreak of meningitis... 22 are infected 7 have died... In China they have massive polution and they found around 10.000 dead pigs in one of their rivers which offer tap or drinkable water, the authorities said there is no danger from that go figure... A virus is missing from a lab in somewhere in US, the people there THINK they burned it, what if they havent?

Go check this Alertmap. When something really bad is going to happen it will be shown there with details.

RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service App is available on site!

And just Russia Today...

#20    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Well it makes sense to think about things that could happen and take reasonable measures.  We have fire extinguishers and smoke detectors in the house and locks on the doors and windows.

We also have a family plan of what to do if a typhoon develops in the Eastern Sea (aka South China Sea), but there hasn't been one hit HCMC in over a thousand years so how worried do we have to be?

A pandemic is the biggest worry around here; no one keeps chickens any more and hand washing is now enforced.  

What else to do?  I suppose stock up, but what with?  If there is no electricity stuff in the refrigerators won't last long.  We buy bottled water so we would last a couple of months there, the same with cooking propane and we got lots of rice (we buy it cheap in bulk).  I suppose there's be no power, hence no water pressure, hence no toilets.  Doesn't sound pleasant at all.

#21    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,376 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

But something can happen now more than ever before...

This is for what i would prep for :

linkz1
Linkz2

Worst case scenario ....

Linkz3

Edited by Tesla II, 25 March 2013 - 03:08 PM.

And just Russia Today...

#22    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostTesla II, on 25 March 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

I'll just add that right now we have heavy snowfall in end of March i havent seen anything like it before... in Russia they have Blizzard of century... in New York there is a bacterial outbreak of meningitis... 22 are infected 7 have died... In China they have massive polution and they found around 10.000 dead pigs in one of their rivers which offer tap or drinkable water, the authorities said there is no danger from that go figure... A virus is missing from a lab in somewhere in US, the people there THINK they burned it, what if they havent?

Go check this Alertmap. When something really bad is going to happen it will be shown there with details.

Thanks for the link Tesla! :tu:

There's some type of "biological outbreak" in Galveston, Texas.
Does "biological outbreak" mean what I think it do?

#23    ohio_traveler

ohio_traveler

Psychic Spy

• 1,864 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

The wife and I are somewhat preppers. We already live in the boonies. Plenty of guns and ammo. A mildly stocked pantry but plenty of wildlife and a pond full of tasty fish. A dug well on the property, 6k Watt generator and atlest 15 -20 gallons of fuel on hand at all times. Plus backup propane and kerosene heat. ( Wish we had a wood burner though )

We need to stock up on medical supplies. Definitely lacking there.

#24    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,975 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Thanks Tesla for the links especially the alertmap.

Its not just pigs now there are ducks involved too.  Your always hearing about some disease they can't cure like the one that started in Saudi Arabia.  This is what I worry about.

WHO Worried about Deadly Disease in Saudi Arabia

#25    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

yeah if this was true to happen me an the ol lady would simply just grab our paks and head off  up to the mountain we hang out at  natural spring water flows year around  plently of critters to eat  shelter  yeah  already got that taken care of to where i go deer and bear hunting at got a small nice cabin /shelter  shack already up  plus since  we go up there on a reg base got damn near every thing accept for maybe  butt wipes but then again if you hang out in the woods like we do then you already got your ass covered...i say bring it on :gun:

#26    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

as far as the rest goes  if  any ones wants to  message me and i can give  yeah pointers on how to make your own power supply and a few other ideas  tryed tested and working solveing every day problems   if your willing to put out the work to make it happen
  like if you have a running creek  you have your power and drinking plus waste water  an more all right there togeather ...
and theres all kind of ways  you can move  water  to where you need it at  just all amatter of how much your willing to do

#27    ohio_traveler

ohio_traveler

Psychic Spy

• 1,864 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

View Postjustcalmebubba, on 25 March 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

as far as the rest goes  if  any ones wants to  message me and i can give  yeah pointers on how to make your own power supply and a few other ideas  tryed tested and working solveing every day problems   if your willing to put out the work to make it happen

Those are definitely handy for several good hours of emergency power. I bought a decent quality deep cycle battery from Walmart. Stuck it inside a battery box. Mounted a DC to AC inverter to the top of it. Wired in a switch, fuse, and voltage meter.  It'll run a small television for  atleast several hours. Plus it's handy to recharge cell phones and such.  Plus it's quiet power. Just recharge it from the generator or from a trickle charger when the power does come back on.

#28    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

took a old elc motor reversed the core mags hooked a paddle wheel made out of pvc and wood slats  off in the creek powers the water pump and charges the batteries  for the solor pannels will run 3    60 watt light bulbs   and a radio  by its self  depending on  the creeks water flow the water pump is realy 4  reg ol camper water pumps set at 15 feet apart in to a gravity feed tank system made out of 55 gallon drums with reg old tolit tank cockvalve to refill the tanks and keep fresh water flowing  all the time   and the over flow tank holds 150 gallons that  bleeder lines  runing to a small garden area  then back in to the creek   drinking water orster shell and charcoal filtered gravity feed as well  or  you can walk out bout 35 yards and put yeah jug up next to the spring and or drink it right from there  now  at the creek .. scraped out a 20 foot wide spot about 3 feet deep with a hole close to 10 foot deep  made a steel tubing frame with reg ol door screen around it
both inside and out bout 3x3 foot box to keep the leaves and  critters out of the  intank for the water pump line  then 2 summers ago  got a trac hoe off in the creek and dug out sum more of the slate rock and made a nice little shelved area to enjoy the cold creek in the summer or wash cloths  or what ever  every thing else is pritty much like a reg house wood stove to heat and cook
took a 55 gallon drum  cut it long ways in half  welding  the two pices one inside the other  made a steel tubing box frame for it to sit stable in  took plate steel  cut sum slats in it took  a pice of left over roof tin with l channel flat iron made a drip pan and added a damper and pipe at one end  works realy great heats the whole cabin nicely enuff the ol lady dont b**** about being cold when its in single digites out side
as far as the cabin goes  6 and 8 inch i beans fixed on 8 inch steel pipe  inner framed with split pine trees and rail road ties and reg ol roof metal tin sheets  on the out side  yeah i know it sounds like a fkn mess  but it's just like  a reg cabin shack  bed room in the loft kitchen bath room and liveing area  below in a 6 foot deep dug out    this  year adding a lean to open roofed area along the front and side with maybe  sum storage lockers or something along  them lines dont realy know  untill i get started on it how or what its gona end up being  yet

#29    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

View Postninjadude, on 25 March 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

Revolution has already been running in the US. I guess it's just now going to be across the pond - on sky. You're not missing anything. The premise is stupid. "electricity" stops working for some reason that they don't reveal. I suspect because the producers know full well the premise defies physics. It's kind of like "Lost" and that sucked in the end as well.

It's already played the first season in Australia. It's ok and alternative history is one of my favourite things, but yeah no biggie with the whole show, mass emp goes off, civil war breaks out, but already by the second season they are talking about and have a plot set up to have electricity access. So it leads it to a more government shut down the power theory. Pretty sloppy in the storylines if you ask me. *NOTE* I haven't ruined/spoiled it completely for anyone they are just the basic plots without destroying what is to be seen. :)

To be simple think; I am legend with no Will Smith and monsters... just a bunch of crazy people loosing their sh** yelling at manicans. LOL!

I have pondered over adopting preppy habbits but I'd probally be happy with just a toy storage container full of the essentials, I have my tool box and garden tools. Don't think it'd be overly hard depending on the situation but in the harder ones... if your gonna go your gonna go.

Same reason I poked fun at people that were scared of the 2012 apoccolypse theory... really if it was all going to go to the cleaners on Dec 21st there's probally next to nothing you could do to stop a meteor destroying the 400km radius of where you are. Enjoy yourself and your family.

why is everyone so &^%$ing concerned with "the end"...
new beginnings is what you should be concerned about...

#30    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,828 posts

• We don't need to conquer the world, we need to conquer our individual selves first. Then the world will be at peace.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 March 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Well it makes sense to think about things that could happen and take reasonable measures.  We have fire extinguishers and smoke detectors in the house and locks on the doors and windows.

We also have a family plan of what to do if a typhoon develops in the Eastern Sea (aka South China Sea), but there hasn't been one hit HCMC in over a thousand years so how worried do we have to be?

A pandemic is the biggest worry around here; no one keeps chickens any more and hand washing is now enforced.  

What else to do?  I suppose stock up, but what with?  If there is no electricity stuff in the refrigerators won't last long.  We buy bottled water so we would last a couple of months there, the same with cooking propane and we got lots of rice (we buy it cheap in bulk).  I suppose there's be no power, hence no water pressure, hence no toilets.  Doesn't sound pleasant at all.

They don't sell canned foods over there, Frank? Surely they do, anyway...you could stock up on one years worth of canned food. Then all you would have to do is rotate those canned foods out by the usual everyday consumption, you consume the oldest first and replace it with new canned food bought at the store during your weekly or monthly shopping. This way, you don't let canned food get too old and you refresh your supply keeping one year's worth of canned food.

Just a common old survival technique since pantries were invented, probably even before that, nothing new, yet it's the best idea ever thought of over the ages and gives you a little peace of mind in the long run.

Edit: Ironic typo :D

Edited by Purifier, 26 March 2013 - 07:06 PM.

PAWNING RESIDENT TROLLS

Also tagged with preppers, apocalypse, end of days

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users