Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How to get that tune out of your head

tune songs head loop earworms

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,088 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

They are the songs you cannot get out of your head. Now scientists may have found a way to help anyone plagued by those annoying tunes that lodge themselves inside our heads and repeat on an endless loop.

Researchers claim the best way to stopping the phenomenon, sometimes known as earworms – where snippets of a catchy song inexplicably play like a broken record in your brain – is to solve some tricky anagrams.

http://www.telegraph...f-earworms.html

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,810 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

I will try that, but as of now can`t get the words "how to get that tune out of your head" out of my head!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Is earworms the scientific name for this phenomena?

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#4    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,842 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

That's an interesting trick... I usually just listen to the darn song, or listen to another catchy song and that fixes my earworms.

I've found whistling Twisted Nerve is wonderful for killing my earworms.. Though I've planted that earworm in other folks heads quite often.

Edited by rashore, 24 March 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#5    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:56 AM

. I don´t like complicated anagrams. Here is a method passed down through generations, Out loud, sing the song (or as much as you know) to the end and then give a big TA-DA like you are finishing a performance, Works every time! ;)
  I´d also divulge the key to stopping hiccups, but in doing so would put my life in danger.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#6    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,976 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

My way used to be to visualize a record playing the song and I just lift the arm off the record. Now days I suppose visualize pushing the off button on a CD player.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#7    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

WOW earworms is really the scientific name, lol I just let the song run its course, simple as that

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

Also tagged with tune, songs, head, loop, earworms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users