Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why such a fuss about extinction?

extinction

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,342 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

What is wrong with extinction? I realise this question is the conservation equivalent of a landmine - or an elephant trap. And that it is likely to ruffle a lot of fur.

But I ask because I am merely wondering whether we sometimes forget a grim reality of the story of life on Earth - that extinction has always been with us.

In fact, it has quite often been good for us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21866456

Posted Image

#2    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,275 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

It takes millions of years to evolve a species.  It is a unique thing in the universe; an art form if you will.

Also, it is behaviors and chemicals and relationships with other species in an ecological system and all sorts of potentially useful things.   When it is gone it is gone.  We never know what we really have lost.

#3    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

I heard somewhere that whenever a newspaper article asks for a value judgement in the form of a question, i.e. "Why such a fuss" or "should we protect x?" , the answer the writer implies is almost always yes. These normative question titles are pure rhetoric.

So despite the writer's controversial first statements, he comes down on the side of conservation in the end.

"We may not like everything - ants, spiders, slugs and snakes - but we are related to them. In an extremely loose sense, they are family. And that casts the threat of extinction - and our role in it - in a very different light."

p.s. found a research paper on the use of questions in journal articles;

"Full Y/N Qs more often answered ‘yes’"

Also tagged with extinction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users