Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Government has right to infringe your freedom

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostOverSword, on 27 March 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Stellar, am I mistaken by assuming you live in a country that has either banned GMO foods, or requires that products containing GMO foods be labeled as such?

Yes, you would be mistaken. Canada has not banned nor forced the labeling of GMO.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#47    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Don't move the goal posts. We're not talking about banning large size sodas, we're talking about caloric values on restaurant menus. What about that is a loss of freedom?

If you dont see the relationship between all these things theres not much I can say.

Im for calorie counts per serving. thats normal when you buy prepackaged food so I see no reason to not have it especially in the "fast" food or restaurant scene as it helps people make educated choices which is never a bad thing.

Banning Large size sodas is a removal of choice. Otherwise known as prohibition.

Not labeling GMO foods as containing such does not allow me to make an educated choice about the food I eat. And thats only a tidbit about how I feeel about GMO. If I dont like Kellogs products I dont buy them. If I dont like GMO products I shouldnt have to buy them. If I dont like the new  toy or movie I shouldnt have to go see it. Anything less then labeling is an assault on my body and genetics. Which I do take personally.

If you feel that comment is moving the goalposts it was moved 20 yards closer for the #1 team to make the winning field goal against the underdog that was so close to winning the Big Game. Man put some pieces of this puzzle together.

#48    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 15,295 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

View PostStellar, on 27 March 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Yes, you would be mistaken. Canada has not banned nor forced the labeling of GMO.
Not surprising considering who your neighbors are.  :gun:

#49    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 27 March 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

If you dont see the relationship between all these things theres not much I can say.

Im for calorie counts per serving. thats normal when you buy prepackaged food so I see no reason to not have it especially in the "fast" food or restaurant scene as it helps people make educated choices which is never a bad thing.

Banning Large size sodas is a removal of choice. Otherwise known as prohibition.

Not labeling GMO foods as containing such does not allow me to make an educated choice about the food I eat. And thats only a tidbit about how I feeel about GMO. If I dont like Kellogs products I dont buy them. If I dont like GMO products I shouldnt have to buy them. If I dont like the new  toy or movie I shouldnt have to go see it. Anything less then labeling is an assault on my body and genetics. Which I do take personally.

If you feel that comment is moving the goalposts it was moved 20 yards closer for the #1 team to make the winning field goal against the underdog that was so close to winning the Big Game. Man put some pieces of this puzzle together.

We are actually saying the same thing then. I think GMO should be labelled. I see nothing tyrannical about forcing this. Just as I don't see anything tyrannical in forcing menus to show calorie counts.

----Seraphina

#50    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Indeed we are saying the same thing Stellar.

I certainly am less interested in calorie counts, super size sodas then I am in the GMO thing because that one is so horrendous when you look at the entire history of this globalized food grab.

#51    F3SS

F3SS

Estranged

• 8,237 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

If you go out to eat and want low calories then order rice and vegetables. Otherwise, choose anything else. It's just an expensive pain in the asss for restaraunts. All it does is cost money and give picky bichy people a reason to be pickier and bichier.
Think about the smaller restaraunts. Do you think that every time they come up with a new dish they should have to send it to a lab for calorie examination? Ok, you want to pay for that? You will if they have to. What if they have separate menus for different times or days? Not only would they have to change the existing ones they'd have to pay for all the typesetting, redesigning and printing every time something changes. You gonna pay for that too. You regulation nuts regulate our wallets dry and regulate small business out of business. You wonder why the cost of living is so high. Every regulation adds costs to business to business to consumer transactions.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 27 March 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#52    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

View PostStellar, on 27 March 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

I don't have to eat in a restaurant, nor do you have to buy from grocery stores. Your argument is weak.

In this economy?!!!! YES YOU DO!!! lol

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#53    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 16,470 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

Many restaurants have seasonal menus and will come up with a dish according to what is fresh and available that day. It sounds like it would force them to have a set menu with no variation or imagination at all.

#54    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

-Patton

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 27 March 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

If you go out to eat and want low calories then order rice and vegetables. Otherwise, choose anything else. It's just an expensive pain in the asss for restaraunts. All it does is cost money and give picky bichy people a reason to be pickier and bichier.
Think about the smaller restaraunts. Do you think that every time they come up with a new dish they should have to send it to a lab for calorie examination? Ok, you want to pay for that? You will if they have to. What if they have separate menus for different times or days? Not only would they have to change the existing ones they'd have to pay for all the typesetting, redesigning and printing every time something changes. You gonna pay for that too. You regulation nuts regulate our wallets dry and regulate small business out of business. You wonder why the cost of living is so high. Every regulation adds costs to business to business to consumer transactions.

First of all, before you continue to put words in my mouth, all I'm saying is that that is not tyranny.

Second of all, your post is senseless. There would be no need to send things to the lab. You simply add the calories of each of the ingredients to find the final calorie count. Do you not realize this?

----Seraphina

#55    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 16,470 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

View PostStellar, on 27 March 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

First of all, before you continue to put words in my mouth, all I'm saying is that that is not tyranny.

Second of all, your post is senseless. There would be no need to send things to the lab. You simply add the calories of each of the ingredients to find the final calorie count. Do you not realize this?

Do you cook? I've made many things that I taste while cooking and think it needs a little bit of this or that. Real chefs don't do a lot of measuring. Then divide that by a dish that could serve thirty? It would all be a guesstimate.

Edited by Michelle, 27 March 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#56    F3SS

F3SS

Estranged

• 8,237 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostStellar, on 27 March 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

I never said your name. But you're right, I meant you.
So do you really really think that would work out? Do you trust an unofficial count? You won't. The minute some jerk takes home a meal to research for themselves and finds out that either the counter miscounted or just lied the likely sue happy jerk is going to file a lawsuit, attempt to ruin the business, call for boycotts and demand government regulations that force scientifically accurate lab counts for each meal selection. The first day such a law is implemented one or all of those things will happen within a week of implementation. Savvy business owners will have already raised your dinner prices because they paid for lab testing because they already knew a lawsuit was only one sue happy pain in the asss away. Less savvy and less financially able business will struggle especially since government force will soon require scientific testing.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 27 March 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#57    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

I think we can consider "fast food" a different type of creature then your local eatery. If something is made using low fat ingredients they should be able to label it on a "may be lower in fat" portion of the menu. McDonalds before putting up something as low fat/low carb whatever should quantify what there selling. Its a multi billion dollar business and should be able to quantify there ingredients. Including soy, GMO etc. But tbh if your still buying fast food your likely doing it wrong from my persepective.

In my land I found a freerange ranch that does pork/cow and on my next major meat purchase thats where ill be going. As they can tell me exactly what there cows have been fed vs the  Growth Hormone and ABO fed crap they sell us in the stores. Does it cost a bit more money. Sure. But hell, maybe Ill downsize my car to public transportation if it means Im supporting my local economy.

#58    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

-Patton

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

View PostMichelle, on 27 March 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

Do you cook? I've made many things that I taste while cooking and think it needs a little bit of this or that. Real chefs don't do a lot of measuring. Then divide that by a dish that could serve thirty? It would all be a guesstimate.

Regardless, it can be done, and it's not tyranny. That is my point.

----Seraphina

#59    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

What do you consider Tyranny Stellar ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users