Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Prehistoric Bullet Hole

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,088 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Bullet, pffttt.

That's CLEARLY an impact mark from a turbo laser.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#17    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

The source for this is s8int.com, a site that has... well, very loose standard for evidence.

I have read about the neanderthal skull before, there's a good analysis here by an actual archaeologist, always a plus.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#18    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

View PostCollateral Damage, on 25 March 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

Are you referring to the Kabbalah? I've searched "Kabbal" and Kabbalah is what appeared linked to wiki. I'm quite curious as to what this is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabbalah

#19    Farmerboy

Farmerboy

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

Does it say the age of the skull? Aurochs died out in 1627, maybe it could have been shot, although the age of the skull may rule that out.

#20    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

First:

I mention the auroch first because of a possible objection that can be raised. If it is indeed a bullet hole, perhaps the skeleton was shot many, many years after the animals’ death. The problem here is that the auroch survived the wound and lived long enough for unmistakable calcification to appear at the site of the injury.

The auroch survived a bullet to the head? Really? And survived long enough to recover afterwords?

This is an image of a skull struck by a ballista, a Roman weapon:
http://wattsunique.c...stle-skull1.jpg
Note that the hole doesn't have any of the resulting cracks the article assures you would be present.

Also, I still really hate how this new text box works. Fool thing messes with any coding I try to put in, just click the dang link.

Edited by ShadowSot, 27 March 2013 - 02:25 AM.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#21    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,484 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:47 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 26 March 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

Was just a guess  haha  :tu:

I do not think it was a bad guess to be honest. The odds might well be very high, but that does not mean it cannot happen, we are talking about quite a number of inhabitants on this planet, and a long time period and a known phenomena. Meteorites often enter the atmosphere at up to 20 times the speed of a bullet. That should assist with odds?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#22    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,484 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

View PostRafterman, on 26 March 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

Bullet, pffttt.

That's CLEARLY an impact mark from a turbo laser.

EXACTLY Like the ones Aliens use to soften rocks so they can get nice straight lines at Megalithic sites!

:rofl: :lol:

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#23    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 2,035 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 27 March 2013 - 03:47 AM, said:

I do not think it was a bad guess to be honest. The odds might well be very high, but that does not mean it cannot happen, we are talking about quite a number of inhabitants on this planet, and a long time period and a known phenomena. Meteorites often enter the atmosphere at up to 20 times the speed of a bullet. That should assist with odds?

Just given the circumstances and the time period,seemed more reasonable than a bullet.Who knows though,maybe it was AA with guns!  :o   :lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#24    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:09 AM

Totally spit balling here, I'd guess the auroch got into a fight with another bull, where it got pierced in the head. It survived the injury and it healed over.

-Terry Pratchett

#25    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,415 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

A bullet moving fast enough to punch through cleanly would probably damage the inside of the skull opposite the puncture, or even blow it away. So IF the skull is complete and undamaged on the other side, I'd say no bullet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users