Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

A Proof That God Exists


  • Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#286    Arbenol

Arbenol

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,254 posts
  • Joined:09 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

View PostBen Masada, on 18 April 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

Can you explain the origin of the universe? I guess not. Since the universe did not cause itself into existence, the Designer is implied whether you want or not. That's simple Logic.
Ben

The origin of the universe is explicable  - you may not like the explanation and therefore disagree with it, but that is not the same as saying it can't be explained. "Since the universe did not cause itself into existence" is an assumption. Working from that, your logic appears sound - but that does not mean any god has to be the default designer. He's a candidate, but not the only one. But all that's irrelevant seeing as you base your conclusions on an unwarranted assumption.


#287    shrooma

shrooma

    Government Agent

  • Banned
  • 3,985 posts
  • Joined:14 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:leeds, UK.

  • Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:56 AM

if you need ''proof'' of how religious logic works, my profile pic is pretty self explanatory.....

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
.
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#288    saucy

saucy

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan

  • Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:48 AM

For me, I used to believe in evolution the naturalist views of the universe, but now, I just can't see it.  It takes more faith to believe in evolution and the big bang, etc, than to believe in God.  What's so hard or wrong about believing in a God?  Why does that automatically make one stupid or an idiot?  I'm not saying anyone in here has called Christians idiots for having faith in God.

I had a friend who was a Christian but just stopped believing because she asked God for something and didn't get it.  She told me straight out that evolution makes more sense.  Now, I know that evolution is a process of small changes over time, but I always lump evolution in with the start of life and the beginning of the universe.  I told her straight up, telling me that life started by itself is like saying that your house just formed naturally over time.  You would think I was stupid if I told you that your house was the result of a natural process.  Never in a trillion trillion trillion years could a house be built or made by any natural process.  Impossible.  But it was designed, created and built by an intelligent person.

But everything we see around us has the fingerprints of intelligence and information.  A single strand of DNA has so much information in it it's hard to comprehend.  A single cell is more complex than the most technologically advanced supercomputer around today and all that information and complexity is so tightly packed into something that's micoscopic and it all works together, trillions of cells and organs and everything that makes up a human being or any animal.  Technology today can not even begin to create something out of nothing and it eventually become a living creature that has a thinking mind with instincts or what food it should it or how to reproduce.

So why is the existence of God so hard to accept???  You would laugh at me if I said your house wasn't created.  But I get laughed at when I say everything was created by God.

As for the question: where did God come from?  Well, you would accept it if scientists said the universe was eternal and as just always been.  Well, that's the answer about God and is connected to the OP.  God has always been.  The universe hasn't.  So it's obvious to me that the universe was created by a Being that has always been because the vastness of the universe down to the tiniest of particles are just way too complex to ever just happen randomly.


#289    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Joined:09 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wisconsin USA

  • "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    -Buddha

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:56 AM

View Postsaucy, on 20 April 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

For me, I used to believe in evolution the naturalist views of the universe, but now, I just can't see it.  It takes more faith to believe in evolution and the big bang, etc, than to believe in God.  What's so hard or wrong about believing in a God?  Why does that automatically make one stupid or an idiot?  I'm not saying anyone in here has called Christians idiots for having faith in God.

I had a friend who was a Christian but just stopped believing because she asked God for something and didn't get it.  She told me straight out that evolution makes more sense.  Now, I know that evolution is a process of small changes over time, but I always lump evolution in with the start of life and the beginning of the universe.  I told her straight up, telling me that life started by itself is like saying that your house just formed naturally over time.  You would think I was stupid if I told you that your house was the result of a natural process.  Never in a trillion trillion trillion years could a house be built or made by any natural process.  Impossible.  But it was designed, created and built by an intelligent person.

But everything we see around us has the fingerprints of intelligence and information.  A single strand of DNA has so much information in it it's hard to comprehend.  A single cell is more complex than the most technologically advanced supercomputer around today and all that information and complexity is so tightly packed into something that's micoscopic and it all works together, trillions of cells and organs and everything that makes up a human being or any animal.  Technology today can not even begin to create something out of nothing and it eventually become a living creature that has a thinking mind with instincts or what food it should it or how to reproduce.

So why is the existence of God so hard to accept???  You would laugh at me if I said your house wasn't created.  But I get laughed at when I say everything was created by God.

As for the question: where did God come from?  Well, you would accept it if scientists said the universe was eternal and as just always been.  Well, that's the answer about God and is connected to the OP.  God has always been.  The universe hasn't.  So it's obvious to me that the universe was created by a Being that has always been because the vastness of the universe down to the tiniest of particles are just way too complex to ever just happen randomly.

That is your opinion and I respect it, but it is your opinion and is not in any way verifiable. Just because you think things are way to complex to happen 'randomly' does not mean that they are. What is 'obvious' to you, is not anywhere near obvious to many other people. I do not accept anything that scientists just say. That is the beauty of science. Anything science theorizes must have objective evidence to back it up. Religion is what someone just says and you accept it point blank because it agree's with your intuition or is just 'obvious' to you. Science does not have that convenience.

There are plenty of examples of natural systems that arise from chaos naturally, with no intelligent being needed. Just look at the earth's weather patterns for example. Extremely complex. So complex that our best supercomputers are unable to precisely and accurately model the entire system at one time. This extremely complex system is the result of really simple physics that we do understand. Another example would be the rings of Saturn, very complex, but are sustained by forces we can understand. Yet another example would be the simple freezing of water. The fact that all the trillions of water molecules line up in a relatively predictable way, this is not planned or designed, it is just the result of the physics governing the process.

Did God set it all in motion? Or are there natural laws that we do not fully understand that set it in motion? We don't know. You say God did it. Someone else says M-theory, someone else says this is all just a huge simulation, someone else says the flying spaghetti monster did it all. None of those can be proven wrong, none of them can be proven right. Yet. Believe whatever you want to believe, but that does not make it objectively true.

Edited by Einsteinium, 20 April 2013 - 06:03 AM.


#290    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

    Seeker79

  • Member
  • 12,999 posts
  • Joined:12 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

  • Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

    Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostIamsSon, on 27 March 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

But this is all theoretical, and it's only theoretical because otherwise the math in their theory would not work.  It is the expansion of Schrodinger's cat, but in any real experiment, the cat is definitely either alive or dead, it is not both.
It is not theoretical, quantum fluctuations are real. They predict the casimeer effect and the effect has been prooven. But it is not really the right language to say that it popped out of nothing. It's just a fact that uncertainty is a fundamental part of nature and at the smallest scales uncertainty means that at any given moment there is a fluctuation of energy. You might think of it as the constant ripple on a lake. It's impossible for there not to be some energy. This coupled with quantum tunneling ( another prooven fact) and we have a very plausible mechanism for the big bang. It did not come from 'nothing' by definition nothing does not exist.

Edited by Seeker79, 20 April 2013 - 11:01 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#291    Jor-el

Jor-el

    Knight of the Most High God

  • Member
  • 8,026 posts
  • Joined:12 Oct 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal

  • We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostEinsteinium, on 20 April 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

That is your opinion and I respect it, but it is your opinion and is not in any way verifiable. Just because you think things are way to complex to happen 'randomly' does not mean that they are. What is 'obvious' to you, is not anywhere near obvious to many other people. I do not accept anything that scientists just say. That is the beauty of science. Anything science theorizes must have objective evidence to back it up. Religion is what someone just says and you accept it point blank because it agree's with your intuition or is just 'obvious' to you. Science does not have that convenience.

There are plenty of examples of natural systems that arise from chaos naturally, with no intelligent being needed. Just look at the earth's weather patterns for example. Extremely complex. So complex that our best supercomputers are unable to precisely and accurately model the entire system at one time. This extremely complex system is the result of really simple physics that we do understand. Another example would be the rings of Saturn, very complex, but are sustained by forces we can understand. Yet another example would be the simple freezing of water. The fact that all the trillions of water molecules line up in a relatively predictable way, this is not planned or designed, it is just the result of the physics governing the process.

Did God set it all in motion? Or are there natural laws that we do not fully understand that set it in motion? We don't know. You say God did it. Someone else says M-theory, someone else says this is all just a huge simulation, someone else says the flying spaghetti monster did it all. None of those can be proven wrong, none of them can be proven right. Yet. Believe whatever you want to believe, but that does not make it objectively true.

And your view is somehow verifiable?

Posted Image


"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis


#292    wimfloppp

wimfloppp

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Joined:14 Jan 2013

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Who created god.And then who created him. etc


#293    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 17,137 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

The main problem Christians have with evolution seems to be that they don't want to admit we are animals -- a species of ape.  They like the Bible saying we were a special creation with dominion over the animals.

The problem with this is that we eat, drink, breathe, defecate, reproduce, locomote, sleep, burp, get sick, grow old, and do all the other things animals do, using the same biology and chemicals.


#294    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 17,137 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 20 April 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

It is not theoretical, quantum fluctuations are real. They predict the casimeer effect and the effect has been prooven. But it is not really the right language to say that it popped out of nothing. It's just a fact that uncertainty is a fundamental part of nature and at the smallest scales uncertainty means that at any given moment there is a fluctuation of energy. You might think of it as the constant ripple on a lake. It's impossible for there not to be some energy. This coupled with quantum tunneling ( another prooven fact) and we have a very plausible mechanism for the big bang. It did not come from 'nothing' by definition nothing does not exist.
This may be (and I think probably is) how time began.  People think cause and effect are principles of logic; they are not.  In fact, the opposite -- there is no logical reason why things should cause other things other than magic.  What we see as cause and effect are our brain's interpretation of the law of large numbers being applied to random events at the atomic or smaller level.


#295    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,576 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Australia

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

View Postsaucy, on 20 April 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

For me, I used to believe in evolution the naturalist views of the universe, but now, I just can't see it.  It takes more faith to believe in evolution and the big bang, etc, than to believe in God.
And yet both evolution and the big bang is supported by scientific evidence. God isn't.

Quote

So why is the existence of God so hard to accept???  You would laugh at me if I said your house wasn't created.  But I get laughed at when I say everything was created by God.
"God did it" is an unsubstantiated statement, it is no more verifiable than Zeus throwing lightning bolts. How much thought do you put into these questions?
The house analogy is clear creationist ignorance. You don't understand the difference between the natural and man made.


#296    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,576 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Australia

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 20 April 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

This may be (and I think probably is) how time began.  People think cause and effect are principles of logic; they are not.  In fact, the opposite -- there is no logical reason why things should cause other things other than magic.  What we see as cause and effect are our brain's interpretation of the law of large numbers being applied to random events at the atomic or smaller level.
So chemical reactions don't occur and are just random events interpreted by our brains?


#297    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 17,137 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 20 April 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

So chemical reactions don't occur and are just random events interpreted by our brains?
Random does not mean without a measurable probability, and often the probability approaches 100% -- especially when you put two reactive chemicals next to each other.  There remains a randomness based on where the electrons happen to be, so differences in timing of split seconds remain random.  You should read Hume on the subject.


#298    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,576 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Australia

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 20 April 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

Random does not mean without a measurable probability, and often the probability approaches 100% -- especially when you put two reactive chemicals next to each other.  There remains a randomness based on where the electrons happen to be, so differences in timing of split seconds remain random.  You should read Hume on the subject.
This is still causality though, the chemicals coming into contact, reaction, and the outcome.


#299    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 17,137 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 20 April 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

This is still causality though, the chemicals coming into contact, reaction, and the outcome.
Not if it is looked at the quantum level.  There is always one chance in some umpteen gazillion that it won't happen.


#300    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,576 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Australia

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 20 April 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

Not if it is looked at the quantum level.
So what is your explanation of the decay of unstable particles?

Quote

There is always one chance in some umpteen gazillion that it won't happen.
And when it happens it sounds like you still want to ignore causality.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users