Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Alternative Civil War

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 02 April 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

Also, I would bring these guys, I could make a fourtune selling civil war items to them.  :D

Posted Image
I'd send Chum on over to the Southern side to "Help" them.... Sabotage.......

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#47    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostTesla II, on 02 April 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

Edit: You dont use nukes in civil war.. dont watch so many movies man..
Though North Korea and South Korea could be considered a civil war...

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#48    mayonnaise

mayonnaise

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

• "An unexamined life is not worth living."
    ~socrates

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

ak 47's. so easy to maintain.

#49    xstaticx69

xstaticx69

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:29 AM

I see everyone talking about the weapons and stuff they would bring back, but I would give them blueprints to AK-47's or early lever-action rifles if AK's are for some reason out of their technological capabilities. Bringing stuff back, once it is broke it's done for, but if they can keep producing them, one side of the war would win easily even with lever-action rifle. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Though honestly, any kind of med tech would be best, heck modern anesthesia at the very least for people who had to get amputated.

#50    MasterFlint

MasterFlint

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:31 AM

View Postsk8tan71, on 25 March 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

What invention would you bring from the 20th century to the Civil War that would affect the outcome of the battle?

I would bring forward 6 walkie-talkie radios whichever side gets them is going to win the battles and the war.

50. Cal Sniper Rifle and give it to the Confederacy.  Let them pick the tyrannical union *self edit* off from a distance, they'd win for sure with that kind of weapon distributed throughout the army...  no item amount limit, I'd just say thousands of those rifles given out.

#51    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:00 AM

View PostPersonFromPorlock, on 27 March 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

A more general question would be: what device could you transport to the 1860s that would function very long without the infrastructure of the time it came from? A B-52 would surely impress, but it kinda needs twelve-thousand foot concrete runways, jet fuel, bombs, a few hundred maintenance troops in support and so on. Walkie-talkies might be less demanding, but even then the batteries wouldn't last very long.

Incidentally, Harry Turtledove already considered the question*: his answer was AK-47s.

*Guns of the South

You are spot-on here.  I flew navy fighters and the massive amount of support required was eye-watering.  The technology required to support a modern tactical aircraft would render it useless after one flight and even a WWI aircraft would have been useless after one flight.  One viable time transfer would be a nuclear carrier which could fight a sustained war for a while with no support.  The destruction would've been overwhelming but limited in time because there would be no possibility of support as technology couldn't conceive of a carrier and it's weapons load, much less support it.

Edited by Merc14, 21 April 2013 - 05:07 AM.

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#52    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostMerc14, on 21 April 2013 - 05:00 AM, said:

You are spot-on here.  I flew navy fighters and the massive amount of support required was eye-watering.  The technology required to support a modern tactical aircraft would render it useless after one flight and even a WWI aircraft would have been useless after one flight.  One viable time transfer would be a nuclear carrier which could fight a sustained war for a while with no support.  The destruction would've been overwhelming but limited in time because there would be no possibility of support as technology couldn't conceive of a carrier and it's weapons load, much less support it.

Still thinking along these lines then a portable Mortar (WW2 style one) would do a lot  and be easy to maintain.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users