Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Ramayana and Mahabharata

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#16    himalyanmystic

himalyanmystic

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 26 March 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

You have a interesting nick but if i am not wrong it should be 'Boom Shankara' .....shiva

Posted Image

It's good to be high.....lol
Though tomorrow is a festival called Holi in India where people drink 'Bhang' or weed mixed in milk which is considered to be Shiva's favourite drink and helped him in his penance.
Bum

[HIMALAYANMYSTIC

#17    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostJon101, on 26 March 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

Oh Harsh, not more nationalistic claptrap?.  These are silly badly written fairy tales containing no universal truths other than the fact that people of all era's are prone to flights of literary fantasy.  They contain no more esoteric knowledge than the back of a shampoo bottle, no more relevance than a poor pop song and no more historical accuracy than the History Channel.

This is supposed to be a forum for mysteries, not rambling old cod epics.

Happy easter.

Why not?
Why dont you say the same thing on the orea linda thread?
Harsh is not nationalistic. He is genuinley interested to discuss. Many of us , including me disagree with him on many points. But thats the part of a debate.

All epics are similar - fantastic fanciful fairy tales.
Care to point out any epic which is not?

I am still learning on the epics. Whatever links that were posted in this thread have added to my knowledge only.
But whats with you?
Do you have any constructive or imformative matter to debate on the topic of thios post, and not b****ing about it??

With just 17 posts on this forum, you smell of a troll.
Show some respect.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#18    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Bah! Humbug!

The Indian Govermnet has declared Holi to be a Dry Day.
And iam in the middle east....no Bhang for me.
Heck.... i miss all that bhang...

Once you drink Bhang and start doing something...like laughing...you keep on laughing or if you start crying..you keep on crying.
Funny stuff it was.
and all the colours.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#19    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 26 March 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Rakshasha were in my opinions also Humans and not a separate species.
Lord Rama was the protagonist of the Ramayana and yes he was the guy who killed Ravana.
And yes Ravana and his clan were known to be the most ardent Devotees of Shiva.
Rakshasa were shape shifters who took hideous forms ,and smelled quite horrific . I have ne er heard of them classified as human . They can take human form though .

Miss me?

#20    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:37 AM

View Posthimalyanmystic, on 26 March 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

Bum

View Posthimalyanmystic, on 26 March 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

Bum
Shiva is a sexy b**** .

Miss me?

#21    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

Oh Harsh, not more nationalistic claptrap?.  These are silly badly written fairy tales containing no universal truths other than the fact that people of all era's are prone to flights of literary fantasy.  They contain no more esoteric knowledge than the back of a shampoo bottle, no more relevance than a poor pop song and no more historical accuracy than the History Channel.

Happy easter.
Happy Passover

Miss me?

#22    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence.

• 11,485 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 26 March 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

We have ancients talking of flying vehicles called Vimanas, weapons of mass destruction called Brahmastras, Ape like humanoids called Vanaras, generation of electricity by using batteries called Mithra-Varuna, and descriptions of ancient and glorious civilizations and the events linked with them described in both these epics.

Who is "we?"

I'll wait for the English translation, though I wouldn't be that surprised if this were true..  However, at this time, there exists no credible source for this in any language I can read.  None.  Everything leads back to a pseudohistorian (AA proponent) named Andrew Tomas.

I don't believe Thomas.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#23    Lemieux

Lemieux

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

• I got the Rock part no problems, but still working on the Roll... Once I figure it out, I will call it a wheel.
    - Freddie

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

View PostHarte, on 27 March 2013 - 03:40 AM, said:

Who is "we?"

I'll wait for the English translation, though I wouldn't be that surprised if this were true..  However, at this time, there exists no credible source for this in any language I can read.  None.  Everything leads back to a pseudohistorian (AA proponent) named Andrew Tomas.

I don't believe Thomas.

Harte

Your wait is over :) I don't know who Andrew Thomas is, but Kisari Mohan Ganguli translated it back in 1883 - 1896

http://en.wikipedia....sh_translations

Edit: fixed link.

Edited by Lemieux, 27 March 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#24    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence.

• 11,485 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Thanks, Lemieux, but the subjectI was talking about is supposedly inthe Agastya Sahmhita, not the Mahabharata.

I meant the battery thing, not the Vimanas, which the Hindus claimed in the Mahabharata were invented by the "clever Greeks" anyway, and thus we can discard the idea.

Yeah, I've had a few go-arounds with posters here about Ganguli.  Try the search function if you're interested.  I thought it was funny.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#25    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 27 March 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

Rakshasa were shape shifters who took hideous forms ,and smelled quite horrific . I have ne er heard of them classified as human . They can take human form though .
This is the first I've heard of Rashasas being humans too. The second link on the OP (Post#1) says that Rama had to cleanse himself because he was planning to kill Ravana, who was a Brahman.

Ravana's body was placed on the rock at Yahangala for his subjects to pay their last respects. Since Ravana was a Brahmin, it was considered a sin to kill him, even in battle. To wash off the sin, Rama performed puja at the Munneswaram temple in Chilaw, 80 km north of Colombo.
http://www.stephen-k..._or_fiction.htm

The problem with assuming that epics like the Ramayana and Mahabharata are based on real events is that every single culture in the world has such a historical story of creation or their ancestors. Just because the Hindus created a calendar and cosmology that has many details and many correlations with real places does not automatically make it true.

I'd like to see 1 million year old evidence, or even 100,000 year old evidence, of vast cities and technical civilzations.

Edited by DieChecker, 27 March 2013 - 08:43 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#26    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

"If we would know, then we would be more wisdomed."

• 9,553 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:18 AM

Happy easter.

Whoa, there. I may not often agree with Harsh (and indeed not even in this thread), but whatever his opinion on their historical accuracy, there's no excuse for lambasting Indian epics. From your statements, you're clearly not familiar with the conventions in which they were created, nor which they may be reacting against. They say a great deal about their own culture and a fair amount about the general human condition.

All your statements do is reveal you to be rather militantly ignorant. If nothing else, these works predate most everything in the European tradition, so you're hard pressed to correctly use the term "cod epic."

...but I suppose, at your behest, we could create a thread to discuss the mystery of why on Earth you'd make a post so insulting to yourself.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#27    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

• If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

Happy easter.
Would you only be interested in Egypt,Greeks and Sumer then there are various threads dedicated to those. If you don't find enough mystery in this topic you can read and comment on other topics.
Have you even read the epics? not the tv serials made on them,check out the translations and after that if you still feel they are badly written fairy tales then i guess it would be safe to assume that nothing in the world will seem mysterious to you as you can dismiss anything as a badly written magic trick.

#28    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostHarte, on 27 March 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

Thanks, Lemieux, but the subjectI was talking about is supposedly inthe Agastya Sahmhita, not the Mahabharata.

I meant the battery thing, not the Vimanas, which the Hindus claimed in the Mahabharata were invented by the "clever Greeks" anyway, and thus we can discard the idea.

Yeah, I've had a few go-arounds with posters here about Ganguli.  Try the search function if you're interested.  I thought it was funny.

Harte
Only the description of how to make the battery Mitra-Varuna is in the Agastya samhita.
Hindus talk about Yavanas and not Greeks. Yavanas at a later date was a word used to represent the Greeks but in what context it was used to represent which people in the mahabharata is still a debate.A lot depends on the dating of the events of Mahabharata.
Vimanas were described in both these epics and they were not always made by the clever Greeks....lol.
Another interesting read is the description of the 'fall of Dwarka (the city of Krishna).Will try to find the extract and post it here.

Edited by Harsh86_Patel, 28 March 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#29    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

http://www.theliving...ty_Dwakara.html

A very detailed description and good photos of the recently discovered underwater ruins of the city of Dwarka.

http://www.hinduwisd...nfo/Dwaraka.htm

The above link puts Krishna and Dwarka in context along with his relation with Hercules.Again with good photos of artifacts from the marine excavation at Dwarka.

http://www.atlantisq....com/Salva.html

The above link talks of Salva and his Vimana and how he attacked Dwarka.(scene described is similar to few scenes in the movie 'Mars attacks').

#30    AbyssWalker

AbyssWalker

I'm not a Mutant.

• 1,732 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 26 March 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

http://www.oocities....y/ramayana.html

http://www.stephen-k..._or_fiction.htm

http://www.hindunet....hab_vartak.html

http://blog.world-my...he-mahabharata/

It has been a subject of a lot of debate.Initially the epics like that of Homer Illiad and the city of troy were considered to be figments of imagination but with more information emerging with time,many people now are convinced that these are actual events and not myths.

What's up? My Indian hindu brother!

I'm a hindu and Indian, I have read it, and have been forced to sit through at readings as a kid. So I know at least something about it.

I have to question, who are these people that are convinced that these events are facts and not fiction? Fringe scientists/archaeologists? Religious fanatics? Or that guy who uses 'Vimanas' as proof for ancient alien visitation on the history channel?

Also, I have a problem with fringe groups from the west using bits and parts from Indian books and passing them of as evidence for whatever their far-fetched claims are.. whether it's ancient aliens, psychic powers or whatever.

I have to go with what DieChecker said on this one. It's interesting, maybe fascinating to someone else, but it's not fact.

Edited by Space_Jockey, 28 March 2013 - 07:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users