Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Ramayana and Mahabharata

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#76    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

• If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostHarte, on 03 April 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

Bcause the word, when used in your context, means only "air," that's how.

Harte
"Udan" means "flight related" and "Vayu" means "air/.gas". So Udan Vayu stands for "air that lifts/causes flight".
Udan and Vayu are also common Hindi words and you can ask someone else who knows Hindi or Sanskrit if you don't believe me.
Similarly "Praan" means life and Pran Vayu means "air that gives life" or oxygen.
Hydrogen and Oxygen are by product of electrolysis of water and electrolysis of water would be easy to carry out even by a primitive battery setting.

Like i said that if we presume that these primitive people wouldn't have known what Hydrogen is and then interpret the text then obviously we would end up fumbling.

#77    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

Harsh is right.

The root of the word "ud" is rise.

http://en.wikipedia....0.A4.89_.28u.29

http://spokensanskri...te&direction=AU

The hindi word
उदजन (udjan) = hydrogen

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#78    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

But leaving Vimanas aside there is so much other cultural,geographical and historical data in these epics, a fair evaluation should be done for the same.

#79    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence. He whose k

• 11,474 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostThe_Spartan, on 04 April 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Harsh is right.

The root of the word "ud" is rise.

http://en.wikipedia....0.A4.89_.28u.29

http://spokensanskri...te&direction=AU

The hindi word
उदजन (udjan) = hydrogen
My apologies.  I was referring to the other word, not Udan.  As the quote I supplied indicated, udan has to to with moving upward.  Vayu is the one that means air, and is the word I thought was being questioned. My fault for not reading thoroughly, but I was (and am) at work with 30 kids working on my problems as I type.

A phrase involving "upward moving air" certainly does not imply lighter-than-air vehicles, nor does it imply the early discovery of hydrogen.

On the other hand, this too would not surprise me.  So, please provide (Harsh) some evidence that hydrogen was discovered in India during or before the time period of the Ramayana.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#80    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

"If we would know, then we would be more wisdomed."

• 9,549 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 05 April 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

But leaving Vimanas aside there is so much other cultural,geographical and historical data in these epics, a fair evaluation should be done for the same.

Doctor Who has very, very detailed cultural, geographic and historical data about London, too. You should help me research and evaluate to see if the Doctor is really real, too.

--JayleMimesis

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#81    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,777 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

View Postjaylemurph, on 05 April 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

Doctor Who has very, very detailed cultural, geographic and historical data about London, too. You should help me research and evaluate to see if the Doctor is really real, too.

--JayleMimesis
He saved us from the Mayan doomsday so I don't know why you would question his existence?

Hee hee

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#82    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

View PostHarte, on 05 April 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

My apologies.  I was referring to the other word, not Udan.  As the quote I supplied indicated, udan has to to with moving upward.  Vayu is the one that means air, and is the word I thought was being questioned. My fault for not reading thoroughly, but I was (and am) at work with 30 kids working on my problems as I type.

A phrase involving "upward moving air" certainly does not imply lighter-than-air vehicles, nor does it imply the early discovery of hydrogen.

On the other hand, this too would not surprise me.  So, please provide (Harsh) some evidence that hydrogen was discovered in India during or before the time period of the Ramayana.

Harte
Again i would like you to read the passage related to a primitive battery in the Agastya Samhita, where the by product of water electrolysis i.e- Hydrogen and Oxygen are called Udan Vayu and Pran Vayu. Only references to the same and Vimanas or flying ships can be given as proof,since Hydrogen from 3000 years back cannot be produced by me as evidence.Though electrolysis of water is easily possible with a primitive anode cathode method, and can be used as a source of Hydrogen production.
No need to apologise,you are dealing with a language you are not used to ,so mistakes happen.
The link you gave also talks of Udan Vayu but in the context of Yoga and the Human body.

P.S.- Hydrogen is still called 'Udan Vayu' in Hindi.

Edited by Harsh86_Patel, 09 April 2013 - 05:55 AM.

#83    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:07 AM

View Postjaylemurph, on 05 April 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

--JayleMimesis

Mahabharata and Ramayana are not products of modern crackpot fringe theorists, they are texts from ancient times and hence we should look to them to understand what migrations,cultural practices and history were at that point of time.

#84    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

Harte this might be interesting for you:

http://books.google....ription&f=false

Check page 40,41,42

#85    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Harsh, can you by any chance get some  link to  any site or document copy, at least a scan copy of the Agasthya samhita?

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#86    Harte

Harte

• 11,474 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 09 April 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

Again i would like you to read the passage related to a primitive battery in the Agastya Samhita, where the by product of water electrolysis i.e- Hydrogen and Oxygen are called Udan Vayu and Pran Vayu. Only references to the same and Vimanas or flying ships can be given as proof,since Hydrogen from 3000 years back cannot be produced by me as evidence.Though electrolysis of water is easily possible with a primitive anode cathode method, and can be used as a source of Hydrogen production.
No need to apologise,you are dealing with a language you are not used to ,so mistakes happen.
The link you gave also talks of Udan Vayu but in the context of Yoga and the Human body.

P.S.- Hydrogen is still called 'Udan Vayu' in Hindi.
Yeah, I guess you didn't get that I would like for me to read that too.

However, I don't read Sanskrit.

Harte

Posted Image
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#87    Harte

Harte

• 11,474 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 09 April 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

Harte this might be interesting for you:

http://books.google....ription&f=false

Check page 40,41,42

The fact that I stated that I wouldn't really be surprised by the dioscovery of hydrogen in ancient India and the earlier statement I made about how I wouldn't be too surprised if a galvanic cell had been invented in ancient India should have indicated to you that I'm aware of the achievements made by ancient India.

So, tell me something (verifiable) that I don't know.

Harte

Posted Image
Anybody like Coleridge?

#88    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,777 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 09 April 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

Mahabharata and Ramayana are not products of modern crackpot fringe theorists, they are texts from ancient times and hence we should look to them to understand what migrations,cultural practices and history were at that point of time.
That is right. It is some of those Interpreting the writings that are crackpot fringe theorists....

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#89    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

View PostThe_Spartan, on 09 April 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Harsh, can you by any chance get some  link to  any site or document copy, at least a scan copy of the Agasthya samhita?
http://archive.org/s...age/n0/mode/2up

Am trying to source a English translation as well,which is reasonably accurate. Am not getting enough time from work.

#90    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 09 April 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

That is right. It is some of those Interpreting the writings that are crackpot fringe theorists....
Not really,the interpretation that are reasonably accurate are being done by Indian Sanskrit scholars. The fringe theorists are using the translations to promote their theories.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users