Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bring Animals Back from Extinction [merged]

dodo extinction dna jurassic park

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostMyles, on 28 March 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

I disagree.   There is much more money spent on useless studies. I would like to see one of these animals brought back.   Maybe just for my selfish reason of wanting to see one living and breathing.

Awww how cute... :yes:  What does  Mammoth taste like on a barbeque.

Everything about it is unnatural; from their birth to their captive habitats not to mention diets.
Their call of the wild, their inherent genetic behaviours would be compromised because of this, their intended purpose for existence would be betrayed by their creation.

They can never adapt in this overcrowded competitive world that is becoming even more extinct as you read.
There are too many missing pieces in the delicate jigsaw of life to warrant such a costly and futile experiment.    

Unfortunately these creatures would be freaks of nature, lab rats , subject to trial and era, and every experiment under the sun.
How would you like to be born into a world where men in white coats stick test tubes and God knows what up you for generations :blush:?.
Not a pretty picture huh?

For these reasons and more,the truth is you will never see any animal resurrected as God intended it. Not one.

Like I said before there are no noble motives. Just egos.
Why dont they do something sensible like build a time machine, transport themselves to prehistory and stay there.

#17    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,399 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 28 March 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

Awww how cute... :yes:  What does  Mammoth taste like on a barbeque. - I wouldn't mind finding out

Everything about it is unnatural; from their birth to their captive habitats not to mention diets.
Their call of the wild, their inherent genetic behaviours would be compromised because of this, their intended purpose for existence would be betrayed by their creation. - I don't understand what you mean by intended purpose

They can never adapt in this overcrowded competitive world that is becoming even more extinct as you read.
There are too many missing pieces in the delicate jigsaw of life to warrant such a costly and futile experiment.

Unfortunately these creatures would be freaks of nature, lab rats , subject to trial and era, and every experiment under the sun.
How would you like to be born into a world where men in white coats stick test tubes and God knows what up you for generations :blush:?. - I would not want to be born a chicken either, but I'm going to eat chicken for lunch today.
Not a pretty picture huh?

For these reasons and more,the truth is you will never see any animal resurrected as God intended it. Not one. - I disagree.   Sooner or later it will be done.  

Like I said before there are no noble motives. Just egos. - You are assuming here.    I would argue that it could be "noble" to bring back one of the smaller birds on that list.   A bird could thrive in todays world.  I don't necessarily think it IS noble, but I can understand why someone might.
Why dont they do something sensible like build a time machine, transport themselves to prehistory and stay there. - I'd rather them continue with their current research.   I'm not a bad guy because I want this. :st

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,170 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Bringing back an extinct organism would be a tremendous achievement, and I can see the idea makes some religious types uneasy.  Perhaps because the accomplishment would take some of the magic out of just what a species is.

The animal would probably be imperfect, and would as a result, at least at first, would probably suffer.  This should and can be mitigated.  It would also be unnatural in that its environment is gone.  But then zoos are unnatural and if there is no other way to preserve species we must rely on them as our final stopgap.

#19    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,814 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Hello Myles Im sure if the scientists breed enough species it may benefit humanity by putting more food on our plates lol.

By "...intended purpose..." I meant the natural intended purpose of that animals function in the world. For instance a bird might live on the berries of certain plants and as part of their function they may disperse seeds amongst the forest. Lots of things in nature are co dependant, everything has its intended purpose in the grand order of things.

Mans purpose however does not seem as clear cut.
There is nothing humane about probing into the dead.

Captivity does have a way of impeding on natural development even with the best intentions. Ask any zoo animal.  
Wild instinct is the 6th sense, not every animal can be domesticated or is meant for the circus; but even circus elephants can turn bad.
Even my pet dog  bit me yesterday. OUchh!

This is why I say you will never see any animal resurrected as God intended it. Once theyre gone, say goodbye. Dont be fooled into believing the  white coats can wave a magic wand and youll wake up tomorrow with a Giant Panda licking honey out of your ears :no:. They do not have the solution to extinction. I hope people remember the reality is what lies in this world and not the next.

Hopefully people wont become desensitised to the problems we truly face by subscribing to this nonsense.

Besides, apart from your own amusement and curiosity being fulfilled, what good would it do to reincarnate the beasts of the Earth?

#20    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,814 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 28 March 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

Bringing back an extinct organism would be a tremendous achievement, and I can see the idea makes some religious types uneasy.  Perhaps because the accomplishment would take some of the magic out of just what a species is.

The animal would probably be imperfect, and would as a result, at least at first, would probably suffer.  This should and can be mitigated.  It would also be unnatural in that its environment is gone.  But then zoos are unnatural and if there is no other way to preserve species we must rely on them as our final stopgap.

Hi Frank, zoos are unnatural, death is not.

Our final stopgap is death.

Edited by taniwha, 28 March 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#21    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,170 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

There is nothing wrong with unnatural.

#22    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,129 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

We should not be playing God... we should not be playing God... we should not be playing God..

Everytime you can hear this mantra when something like in the opening post is published.

Can anyone tell me how God plays anyway?

#23    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,399 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 28 March 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

Hello Myles Im sure if the scientists breed enough species it may benefit humanity by putting more food on our plates lol. -
By "...intended purpose..." I meant the natural intended purpose of that animals function in the world. For instance a bird might live on the berries of certain plants and as part of their function they may disperse seeds amongst the forest. Lots of things in nature are co dependant, everything has its intended purpose in the grand order of things. - Perhaps the scientists "purpose" is to bring back extinct animals.

Mans purpose however does not seem as clear cut.
There is nothing humane about probing into the dead.

Captivity does have a way of impeding on natural development even with the best intentions. Ask any zoo animal.  
Wild instinct is the 6th sense, not every animal can be domesticated or is meant for the circus; but even circus elephants can turn bad.
Even my pet dog  bit me yesterday. OUchh!

This is why I say you will never see any animal resurrected as God intended it. Once theyre gone, say goodbye. Dont be fooled into believing the  white coats can wave a magic wand and youll wake up tomorrow with a Giant Panda licking honey out of your ears :no:. They do not have the solution to extinction. I hope people remember the reality is what lies in this world and not the next. - Do you believe that it cannot be done?   Whether now or in future years, I'm nearly 100% sure that it will and can be done.  The advances with DNA in the last decade is incredible.

Hopefully people wont become desensitised to the problems we truly face by subscribing to this nonsense.

Besides, apart from your own amusement and curiosity being fulfilled, what good would it do to reincarnate the beasts of the Earth?

#24    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,399 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 28 March 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

We should not be playing God... we should not be playing God... we should not be playing God..

Everytime you can hear this mantra when something like in the opening post is published.

I agree.   How far do you take the "should not be playing God" thought?    Life saving surgury?    CPR? or as far down as seeing a doctor for a broken arm?

#25    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,814 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 28 March 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

There is nothing wrong with unnatural.

Death is natural.  We can even call it Godly.  It is the obvious conclusion to a life~cycle.

View PostMyles, on 28 March 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

I agree.   How far do you take the "should not be playing God" thought? Life saving surgury? CPR? or as far down as seeing a doctor for a broken arm?

Why do you worry so much?  Why stop short of Immortality? :unsure2:

Problems would be multiplied, not reduced by this experiment.  Man has already proved inept at preserving what IS.

You can no more resurrect the beasts of the Earth than you can wrap the world in cotton wool.  It is not going to solve anything.

There are only egos... :td:

#26    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,399 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 28 March 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

Death is natural.  We can even call it Godly.  It is the obvious conclusion to a life~cycle.

Why do you worry so much?  Why stop short of Immortality? :unsure2:

Problems would be multiplied, not reduced by this experiment.  Man has already proved inept at preserving what IS.

You can no more resurrect the beasts of the Earth than you can wrap the world in cotton wool.  It is not going to solve anything.

There are only egos... :td:

You didn't answer my question - How far do you take the "should not be playing God" thought? Life saving surgury? CPR? or as far down as seeing a doctor for a broken arm?

I still like the idea of bringing them back.

#27    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,814 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

View PostMyles, on 28 March 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

You didn't answer my question - How far do you take the "should not be playing God" thought? Life saving surgury? CPR? or as far down as seeing a doctor for a broken arm?

I still like the idea of bringing them back.

How far would YOU advance that thought?  Until Immortality is achieved?

Just how do you envisage any benefits to look like?

The idea of bringing them back appeals to me as well. This feeling is perfectly normal as to is grief and sorrow. We have coexisted alongside the beasts since before the invention of flame. Until the end it will always be so.

This is just an age old stage~trick performed  under the banner of Conservation and Preservation. There is a lot more going on behind the scenes.
We dare not look too far lest we spoil this illusion for ourselves.

#28    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,399 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

View Posttaniwha, on 29 March 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

How far would YOU advance that thought?  Until Immortality is achieved?

Just how do you envisage any benefits to look like?

The idea of bringing them back appeals to me as well. This feeling is perfectly normal as to is grief and sorrow. We have coexisted alongside the beasts since before the invention of flame. Until the end it will always be so.

This is just an age old stage~trick performed  under the banner of Conservation and Preservation. There is a lot more going on behind the scenes.
We dare not look too far lest we spoil this illusion for ourselves.
Again, you are dodging the question. :blush:
I have no problem with CPR or life saving surgery.  I don't put much into the "playing God" thought.

#29    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,814 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

View PostMyles, on 29 March 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

Again, you are dodging the question. :blush:
I have no problem with CPR or life saving surgery.  I don't put much into the "playing God" thought.

Where did I talk about 'playing God' lol :cry:

I think you are referencing this post by another member

Edited by taniwha, 29 March 2013 - 12:45 AM.

#30    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,814 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

"...The air in here is pretty thin I think I'll go outside..." ~ The Stranglers

Edited by taniwha, 29 March 2013 - 12:53 AM.

Also tagged with dodo, extinction, dna, jurassic park

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users