Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is the NFL ready for an openly gay star?

nfl gay sports stars gay rights

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

I don’t know what all the fuss is about, there will always be some individuals that will hurl abuse at sports stars that come out and admit their sexuality, but all in all, the general public will have no problem accepting it and will  probably show them more respect.

I wouldn't care what anyone called me, if i was black, gay, red, yellow or whatever.. If I were getting paid Millions of $$$$$ every year, they could call me what they wanted, because at the end of the game, I get to go to my mansion or private yacht.

• Player has not been identified, but announcement is said to take place 'within the next few months'
  • There has never been an openly gay active player in American football's nearly 100-year history
  • Debate about gay players in the NFL was reignited after the Manti Te'o 'fake girlfriend' scandal

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,960 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Yeah, there should be no fuss. It doesn't matter.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#3    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,502 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

I don't have a problem with it.

I do see where it can cause issues:
Would need seperate locker rooms.   It's not wrong for a straight guy to feel uncomfortable half naked in front of a gay man.  
Teams may feel obligated to not cut a gay man on their team for fear of public outcry.
The typical pats on the butt might be taken differently.  :w00t:   That ones a joke.

As with most new things, it will get worked out.

#4    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Fudge

• 6,675 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

the NFL has had since 1920 to get used to the possibility. if they're not ready for an openly gay man competing they should have their heads examined

The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass and dictators die and the power they took from the people, will return to the people and so long as men die liberty will never perish... Soldiers don't give yourselves to brutes, men who despise you, enslave you, who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think or what to feel, who drill you, diet you, treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder... Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men, machine men, with machine minds and machine hearts.  You are not machines. You are not cattle. You are men. You have the love of humanity in your hearts.

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,128 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

Keep in mind that many NFL players are very young and young men are not open minded about being naked in a locker room with a gay person.  The PC crowd may not like it but gay football players are probably going to be better off practicing the don't ask don't tell strategy.

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Earlier message brings to mind when I was in college doing swimming for my physical ed. requirement, we all ran around bare-ass.  Some of the guys had to have been gay but back then of course I was oblivious.  I don't suppose it would have bothered me if I had known.  Time and place, you know.

I can see if someone is openly gay how others might have a reluctance to undress with them there.  Having gay friends is easy nowadays -- they behave themselves -- but it would be kinda like undressing in front of one's sister.

Have I stuck my neck in a noose?

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,977 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Why not.

#8    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,149 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

As much as I'd like to say the macho straight football players should just suck it up and deal with it, I'm 99% sure they will attack in subtle ways. I mean football is a very physical game and there are many ways someone can get "accidentally" injured during a game. A gay player could very easily become a paraplegic and all for what?

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

I suspect people who travel in those circles already know who is what and so on, and are more tolerant than the general public.

#10    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,960 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Gay players in the NFL always get the shaft.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#11    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,605 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 26 March 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

Gay players in the NFL always get the shaft.
Usually that only happens to the tight ends and wide receivers.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#12    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,502 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 26 March 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

Earlier message brings to mind when I was in college doing swimming for my physical ed. requirement, we all ran around bare-ass.  Some of the guys had to have been gay but back then of course I was oblivious.  I don't suppose it would have bothered me if I had known.  Time and place, you know.

I can see if someone is openly gay how others might have a reluctance to undress with them there.  Having gay friends is easy nowadays -- they behave themselves -- but it would be kinda like undressing in front of one's sister.

Have I stuck my neck in a noose?
Not at all.   It's not far off of expecting women to be OK with being naked in front of straight men.

#13    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

We once had a gay man who was a cleaner at our Gym, I was talking to him once about him having to pop in and out of the changing rooms, and how did he feel about that.. He was openly honest and said ‘at times he had to leave because he would get a hot flush, now and then.’

I just laughed it off.. he was obviously talking about me?

I thought to myself back then: “I wonder if a gay man cleaning the men’s changing rooms would be like a straight man cleaning the women’s?”

Posted Image

#14    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,502 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

View Postxsas, on 26 March 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

We once had a gay man who was a cleaner at our Gym, I was talking to him once about him having to pop in and out of the changing rooms, and how did he feel about that.. He was openly honest and said ‘at times he had to leave because he would get a hot flush, now and then.’

I just laughed it off.. he was obviously talking about me?

I thought to myself back then: “I wonder if a gay man cleaning the men’s changing rooms would be like a straight man cleaning the women’s?”

I assume it would be similar but not quite to the extent overall.

#15    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,239 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

I do not see why he shouldnt be allowed to play football,but lets all be honest this PC s**t is getting a bit out of control!Let them live their life no problem but i do not see straight NFL players during interviews after games saying well im about to go live my straight life,do my straight wife,praise me because im straight,defend me because im straight.Get over all the publicity s**t.Football is just a game,there are enough overpaid attention whores without having to bring who they prefer to sleep with into it.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users