Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Have you noticed changes in weather patterns?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,833 posts

• We don't need to conquer the world, we need to conquer our individual selves first. Then the world will be at peace.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

I noticed the seasons these days seem to be out of whack, somewhat.

Sometimes it seems like there is more summer or winter then usual and spring or fall become less then usual.

PAWNING RESIDENT TROLLS

#17    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,012 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

Our winter has been erratice as always. It's been snowing for the last two days and last week we were outside in t-shirts. March and April can be the worst for snow storms. I doubt I'll even see anything like the blizzard of '93 again when we got 36" of snow. We were snowed in for a week without electricity, but it was the most fun I'd ever had with my clothes on. :D

#18    Bw1234

Bw1234

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

It's been like this in the UK too. We've been in a horribly prolonged winter where it's been sub zero temperatures since October which is really unusual. It's been snowing on and off for 3 months as well.
This time last year it was really warm and dry, now it's the complete opposite and it's set to continue into next week too. :(

#19    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

I collect my own rainwater water supply, for the last 4years or so we generally run out of water at about this time because the weather has settled into a pattern of been bone dry from xmas to about April or May. For the last three years the drought breaks and then it doesn't stop raining again until the drought begins again in December.

That is a totally new weather pattern to anything anyone can remember in Ireland.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#20    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,128 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 26 March 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

I collect my own rainwater water supply, for the last 4years or so we generally run out of water at about this time because the weather has settled into a pattern of been bone dry from xmas to about April or May. For the last three years the drought breaks and then it doesn't stop raining again until the drought begins again in December.

That is a totally new weather pattern to anything anyone can remember in Ireland.

Br Cornelius
Are you saying the drought from Dec. to April is new?

#21    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

View PostOverSword, on 26 March 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

Are you saying the drought from Dec. to April is new?
The consistent pattern of drought in the spring is new. The wet summers come and go, but the last few years have been particularly bad.

Before this new pattern we had about 10years without any significant difference between summer and winter, which again was not remembered by any local people.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#22    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,780 posts

• ראה

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

Nothing dramatic enough to be certain, overall, but a few items did stand out.

I noticed a change in the bird migrations this year. Birds arriving earlier than expected, by months, not weeks. Others hanging around longer than I expected. That is a bit weird, and noticeable.

The trees, I've written some about this, but to see blooms on the trees in early February, with no real extended warmth, that's a bit odd. I've speculated that they may be retaining a recent memory, because the earlier it warms up over time, they may sense this and be responding more generally, as opposed to to individual seasonal warmth. Not all the trees are doing this, however. It's unclear why some are, but perhaps not native. This is just a theory of my own, however. It's a useful ability in a fast changing environment, and no doubt they've experienced this before in their genetic past.

The bugs, nothing unusual. The amphibians are just glad the drought seems to be over in Coastal Carolina.

The fish, I don't fish, but perhaps someone else does.

Spiders, saw very few in the house this winter, don't know why. That's unusual, but unclear if unprecedented, given I don't remember this too well for many years past. Could be the landscapers spraying more. Some people hate spiders. I think they're pretty neat, but not in my house! A few get rescued and thrown out the door, when I'm feeling merciful.

Crickets, I miss, but that's normal for winter.

Let's see, what else. I've been dreaming about hail in Texas, Western Arkansas, and Eastern Oklahoma, but what's special about that?

Edited by Raptor Witness, 27 March 2013 - 05:54 AM.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#23    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,979 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

This may be why our weather patterns are so messed up.

Why So Cold? Blame the Greenland Block

#24    PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 185 posts

• Something's not quite right...

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Variety is the spice of life!

“For a century and a half now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and enduring alliances of modern times.”
Tokyo, February 18, 2002 :huh:

#25    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,113 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostHilander, on 27 March 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

This may be why our weather patterns are so messed up.

Why So Cold? Blame the Greenland Block

but that doesn't explain why the weather is crazy in the southern hemisphere.

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#26    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,896 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

There's no Spring or Autumn any more.  :(

#27    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

Back in the old days we called minus 25 to 30 c below 0 was cold now we think minus 10 c is cold.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#28    awest

awest

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostOverSword, on 26 March 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

The reason for this post is because of what I've seen in local weather patterns here in the pacific northwest of the USA.  Ever since I was a child when the morning weather report on TV showed a satelite image of weather the cloud patterns always....always blew down from Alaska and British Columbia, Canada then would kind of reach Portland and swirl back up to Seattle in a circular pattern.  For the past 2 years however I notice that now the clouds seem to be pushed up from California.  The area of the map that has always been shown is just the state of Washington, the north part of Oregon and the southern part of British Columbia and the pacific ocean next to Washington so I realy can't tell exactly what's going on but it is glaringly obvious that wind patterns have significantly changed and yet no mention of this is ever made by the local meteorologists.

Do any of you see this same type of thing happening in the sattelite views on your local weather reports?

Yeah, apparently our solar maximum never happened for this cycle, and by all appearances we are heading into another Maunder Minimum.

#29    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

View Postawest, on 29 March 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

Yeah, apparently our solar maximum never happened for this cycle, and by all appearances we are heading into another Maunder Minimum.
Yet the current temperatures (global mean) is at its highest for at least 1000years.
Its not helpful to confuse local Northern Atlantic weather with global climate.

What we are experiencing is changes to the prevailing regional weather patterns across the globe.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users