Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should Britain let go of London?

Commander CMG

"A first-rate city with a second-rate country attached." That is how one rather brutal friend of mine describes London.

He happens to be an American, working in the City. But plenty of people working or staying in London from around the world feel the same way - even if they might put it more politely.

For a certain kind of "global citizen", London today feels like the new capital of the world - while, for people living in other parts of the UK, it all too often feels like another planet.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article Here

How dare the UK own something that is global. We should be made to get rid of it like we were our empire.

• Like 1

Definately "a different planet", and one which I will only visit when absolutely necessary! Awful place!

• Like 4

Oh, please, yes, get rid of the horrible, overcrowded, arrogant rathole of a place with its comedy Mayor.

boris.jpg

Let it be an independent state, and see how it gets on, same as i say to scotland or Wales or anyone else who wants to.

• Like 2

Definately "a different planet", and one which I will only visit when absolutely necessary! Awful place!

I think this is how many Americans in "flyover country" (the heartland) view places like New York city or Los Angeles. Just too crowded and weird to be real.
  • Like 4

I live in flyover country and I don't think any such thing.

If they'll take the bloody government away when they go, yes please!

I don't think it's just me when I say this, though I don't presume to speak for the entire North of England, but I feel like the government, London, let's be honest the South generally, genuinely don't give a **** about what happens to us up here.

• Like 1

Hence the word - "many". I realize that not all feel this way. But a great number are just uncomfortable with the crowded setting AND the casual, often immoral outlook of such places.

I do. I despise LA and NYC. Their attitude is that the rest of us don't exist. I lived in California for 2 years (not LA) and they have no clue about much of anything on this side of the Rockies.

Oh, please, yes, get rid of the horrible, overcrowded, arrogant rathole of a place with its comedy Mayor.

boris.jpg

Let it be an independent state, and see how it gets on, same as i say to scotland or Wales or anyone else who wants to.

Can anyone translate semaphore?

I lived in London for 3 years as part of my job,it may be o.k for American,and other tourists as there is a lot of history involved, but to actually live there is different from anywhere else in the U.K. and I have lived in Sunderland,Liverpool,Hull ,Bournemouth, Falmouth,and Bristol.... London is (1) Over crowded ,(2) More Expensive, (3) Has huge Traffic problems , (4) Not very friendly to outsiders, but the residents born there think its wonderfull because they don't know any better, so everyone to their own, live and let live but London isn't for me.

• Like 2

A sordid pox hole blight on an otherwise good country. Londoncentrism has meant that the UK as a nation has been neglected for a generation or more in order to service the needs of the city and Westminster. Bankers and politicans have raped the British people. Hang every last one of them.

Br Cornelius

Why should Britain get rid of not only its capital but get rid of a city which generates a fifth of its entire GDP?

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

I'm not sure the people of London would be too happy getting rid of Johnson. After all, they DID elect him and he IS a very popular politician.

Why should Britain get rid of not only its capital but get rid of a city which generates a fifth of its entire GDP?

precisely for that reason, because London has no interest at all in the rest of England, let alone the UK, and propagates the kind of arrogant attitudes illustrated in the quote in the opening P. Everything Government does is geared towards London, (except when London was a political football during the days of Red Ken, before he became cuddly), London gets all the investment in e.g. rail networks and Airports, and above all, because London in fact produces nothing at all tangible, all of its wealth is in the world of Finance, and the only people that benefit from that are those in the Financial "industry", and we all know how the fortunes of the Economy could collapse overnight, and then London would become a gigantic parasite, excpecting, needless to say, the rest of the country to prop it up, as it's so Important. London is too gigantic, and too arrogant.

I'm not sure the people of London would be too happy getting rid of Johnson. After all, they DID elect him and he IS a very popular politician.

oh, they can keep him by all means, then let's see how good a Leader he is if he has to try to make a go of it by himself and actually govern rather than just being a Media Celeb.

precisely for that reason, because London has no interest at all in the rest of England, let alone the UK, and propagates the kind of arrogant attitudes illustrated in the quote in the opening P. Everything Government does is geared towards London, (except when London was a political football during the days of Red Ken, before he became cuddly), London gets all the investment in e.g. rail networks and Airports, and above all, because London in fact produces nothing at all tangible, all of its wealth is in the world of Finance, and the only people that benefit from that are those in the Financial "industry", and we all know how the fortunes of the Economy could collapse overnight, and then London would become a gigantic parasite, excpecting, needless to say, the rest of the country to prop it up, as it's so Important. London is too gigantic, and too arrogant.

It doesn't really suprise me that London gets more investment in things like infrastructure than, say, the North of England. London is just so important for the UK. Its economy is bigger than some countries' economies.

Last time I went to the place it took five attempts before I found someone who could speak english & give directions. It's like downtown Karachi on our doorstep.

• Like 3

This. The more obvious question should be, 'should London let go of Britain?'.

If it did, it would probably be the richest country in the World, per-person. Well, there's always the Vatican, but no one really knows how much they have.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything people before me have said about the place, but the fact remains that due to the business goings on in the joint capital of World-capitalism, the money being made down there is astounding.

This. The more obvious question should be, 'should London let go of Britain?'.

If it did, it would probably be the richest country in the World, per-person. Well, there's always the Vatican, but no one really knows how much they have.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything people before me have said about the place, but the fact remains that due to the business goings on in the joint capital of World-capitalism, the money being made down there is astounding.

yes, but none of it's, well real, isn't it. It's all based entirely on bubbles of speculation, credit & debt. All the astounding money being made there, well, it's all fictitious or imaginary, isn't it? And we all know that that could collapse as quickly as snapping one's fingers. And then we'd be wishing that we still had an economy that made things that we might find useful, and that we could perhaps sell to others.

• Like 1

yes, but none of it's, well real, isn't it. It's all based entirely on bubbles of speculation, credit & debt. All the astounding money being made there, well, it's all fictitious or imaginary, isn't it? And we all know that that could collapse as quickly as snapping one's fingers. And then we'd be wishing that we still had an economy that made things that we might find useful, and that we could perhaps sell to others.

All very true. I originally had "'dodgy" business goings on' in my reply.

All very true. I originally had "'dodgy" business goings on' in my reply.

The liberalization of the markets is where London went of the rails and the rest of the nation went into a nose dive.

This nest of dodgy dealing has a corrupting influence across the globe, using the channels opened up by the long defunct empire to channel resources and money through the veins of London. Its a malign influence on the whole world and was one of the central players in the whole credit crunch.

What sickens me is that Westminster is resisting all meaningful attempts to rain in the criminality of the financial markets because they know that the economy is toast without it.

Br Cornelius

The liberalization of the markets is where London went of the rails and the rest of the nation went into a nose dive.

This nest of dodgy dealing has a corrupting influence across the globe, using the channels opened up by the long defunct empire to channel resources and money through the veins of London. Its a malign influence on the whole world and was one of the central players in the whole credit crunch.

What sickens me is that Westminster is resisting all meaningful attempts to rain in the criminality of the financial markets because they know that the economy is toast without it.

Br Cornelius

Well they are the companies that fund their elections and provide jobs for them once they leave politics. The two now go hand in hand more than ever.