Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Ax Murder House

unsolved murder iowa villisca

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    brianjmyers

brianjmyers

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Not too long ago, I was afforded the oppportunity to stay the night in the infamous "Ax Murder House" in Villisca, Iowa (USA). For a mere $400, a group of up to six can stay overnight in the restored home, which was the site of a grisly multiple homicide in 1912. This crime, which is still unsolved, claimed the lives of eight individuals, six of them children. Several documentaries have been made on this gruesome event, as well as multiple segments on "true" ghost story shows in the States and the UK. Is it really haunted? Most likely, no. Documentarians discovered that the first claims of haunts didn't surface until 1994. This was discovered after interviewing a member of every family that resided in this house since 1936, none of which made claim that the place was haunted. Nevertheless, it's a fascinating story, which inspired me to pen this piece for Tuning Fork TV. You can read it for free at

http://tuningfork.tv/?p=2168

Has anyone else stayed the night here? I would love to hear of any experiences you've had.

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,291 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

I had a friend years back who stayed there with her daughter and the daughter's friends for a birthday party. They didn't experience anything.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#3    ImmortalSupernaturalAlien

ImmortalSupernaturalAlien

Xenomorph Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

• Aliens. Aliens everywhere.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

And I always wanted to go there sometime. If it's not haunted, then why make up stuff?

#4    brianjmyers

brianjmyers

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

Because this is a cash cow for the owners.  It's $400 per night, and because of a massive PR campaign, they are booked over 200 nights per year.  If I owned a house that people were murdered in years ago, I might do the same.  Nevertheless, it's still a great story, and the history behind the unsolved crime is rather fascinating.

#5    hauntedinsc

hauntedinsc

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

Actually sounds kind of fed up to make money off of such a morbid gruesome unsolved crime. Things like that shouldn't be cash cows for anyone. Reason I hate horror movies sometime those things do happen and I really don't see it as a form of entertainment.

Also tagged with unsolved, murder, iowa, villisca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users