Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bloomberg: Drones inevitable, get used to it

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

Mayor Bloomberg says surveillance drones are inevitable in NYC: 'get used to it'

Governmental use of unmanned surveillance drones has inspired a lot of concern about privacy, but New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg thinks the battle's already over. In a radio interview this week, Bloomberg said essentially that drones are an inevitable part of our future (and maybe our present), comparing them to the thousands of cameras already located around Manhattan. "What's the difference whether the drone is up in the air or on the building?" he asked. "We're going into a different world, uncharted... you can't keep the tide from coming in."
Striking a tone more of resignation than endorsement, Bloomberg said that our future includes more visibility and less privacy. Face recognition will be integrated into the drone surveillance, and he wondered aloud whether a drone is that much more invasive than someone standing outside your home. Bloomberg did say legislation is necessary, but warned against hasty action, saying "these are long-term, serious problems."

http://www.theverge....evitable-in-nyc

#2    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,275 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

So why does he, or do they, feel that these Drones are necessary? Under whose authority are they used?

Edited by Lord Vetinari, 27 March 2013 - 09:12 AM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,650 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

I feel a bit of 1984 coming on

#4    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,548 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

Striking a tone more of resignation than endorsement, Bloomberg said that our future includes more visibility and less privacy. Face recognition will be integrated into the drone surveillance

Well at least he´s being honest!

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#5    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,548 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 27 March 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

Under whose authority are they used?

They will eventually be approved by the house and senate IMO. They are already slowly moving in that direction.

This afternoon the House of Representatives is considering H.R. 2578, a package of public lands bills that contains a provision from Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT) giving U.S. Customs and Border Protection authority to shut down any economic or recreational activity within 100 miles of the northern and southern U.S. borders if deemed necessary for securing them.
The section also rolls back more than 30 environmental and public health laws within the 100-mile zone including the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and the National Park Service Organic Act that helps protect and preserve national parks (see full listhere).
Congressman Ed Markey (D-MA) dubbed the provision a “drone zone” bill and explained at a press conference today that:

It essentially will be a national sacrifice zone where our rights, our liberties, and our environment can be sacrificed for the sake of an ideological anti-immigrant, anti-environment agenda.  Make no mistake, this isn’t a bill that actually addresses immigration issues.

The bill passed the house and I believe is waiting for senate approval.

The ACLU says a "Constitution-free zone" exists within 100 miles of the US border, where DHS claims the authority to stop, search and detain anyone for any reason. Nearly two-thirds of the US population lives within 100 miles of the border, according to the ACLU, and the border zone encompasses scores of major metropolitan areas and even entire states.

This bill allows the DHS to build roads, fences, airstrips, and buildings anywhere in the zone. It would also, possibly, allow DHS to fly drones anywhere within that 100-mile boundary
.Chek out the map of the "Constitution-Free zones which include NY amongst the other most populated cities in the US

http://www.allgov.co...211?news=847030

Edited by jugoso, 27 March 2013 - 03:17 PM.

G.Clinton

#6    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

• 23,275 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

So they're hoping to create for themselves, effectively, a hundred mile wide zone where Martial law reigns, and they'd have (presumably) the right to arrest anybody, and perhaps even shoot to kill anyone at all, on whatever grounds they want to make up as being "essential for National Security"? Sounds rather the border between East & West Germany, only on a much, much wider scale. I really don't think one would have to be a conspiracy theorist to consider this very, very sinister indeed.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#7    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,548 posts

G.Clinton

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 27 March 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

So they're hoping to create for themselves, effectively, a hundred mile wide zone where Martial law reigns, and they'd have (presumably) the right to arrest anybody, and perhaps even shoot to kill anyone at all, on whatever grounds they want to make up as being "essential for National Security"? Sounds rather the border between East & West Germany, only on a much, much wider scale. I really don't think one would have to be a conspiracy theorist to consider this very, very sinister indeed.

Yes, they are creating it right now and it will give them unlimited powers within this area of arrest, search, seizure of any electronic devices as well as the use of drones.

G.Clinton

#8    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

I'm sure once this "zone" is up and running and theres nothing we the people will ever be able to do about it, they will slowly increase its scope until we all wake up one day and the entire country is a "zone". Gee, won't that be fun, well you can bet it'll be fun for our government (if we can still call it a government)

Sad thing to me is, I'm not sure exactly when I too became a sheeple, and now all I feel I can do about anything the feds dictate is Baa Baa Baa.

#9    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Drones are the answer to EU's CCTV stuff. Same purpose same result but yeah we aint getting drones that fly 34k ft out of the sky ever as a people. And they will be reading license plates.

#10    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 27 March 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

Drones are the answer to EU's CCTV stuff. Same purpose same result but yeah we aint getting drones that fly 34k ft out of the sky ever as a people. And they will be reading license plates.

CCTV isn't EU stuff, it's a UK thing.

#11    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

• 23,275 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

I think drones is a whole different ball game to CCTV; CCTV can have a useful, er, use in helping to identify people etc if a Crime is committed, but it's really no use as an instrument of oppression unless there are people watching every single feed from every single camera 24/7, and have squads of Thought Police on standby to go into action at all times, but a Drone is a device for specifially targeting individuals and monitoring them, so I think that's a different level altogether.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#12    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,069 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

View PostRender, on 27 March 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

Mayor Bloomberg says surveillance drones are inevitable in NYC: 'get used to it'

ttp://www.theverge....evitable-in-nyc

I agree. We're going to have to get used to it.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#13    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,662 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 27 March 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

I think drones is a whole different ball game to CCTV; CCTV can have a useful, er, use in helping to identify people etc if a Crime is committed, but it's really no use as an instrument of oppression unless there are people watching every single feed from every single camera 24/7, and have squads of Thought Police on standby to go into action at all times, but a Drone is a device for specifially targeting individuals and monitoring them, so I think that's a different level altogether.
It makes me heartily glad that I am just a Prole...

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#14    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

CCTV is used for much more then surveillance of crime in UK unless you consider traffic fines etc/congestion taxes to be criminal activity. That it keeps people safer is a crock of ****.

Its how they made surveillance of people in the UK a reality instead of a possibilty. If they dont care not then let them also enjoy the new bedroom tax coming up. Same devil behind those cloaks sorry to inform you.

As for drones and surveillance. No there not meant for single target. That is just one of there capabilities. If you think Bloombergs drones are one eye one target your kidding yourself. **** getting used to them. Stand up for your civil Liberties. Or lose them forever.

#15    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

it's really no use as an instrument of oppression unless there are people watching every single feed from every single camera 24/

I guess you havent heard of the record option and that you can request your CCTV from specific cameras in and around London if you can identify which one you were at. There used to oppress. Thats all. To instill fear into people and make them walk a straight line every second. Might as well move to China or North Korea cause all there leaving you with is Free Speech. Oh wait CCTV records those that express those rights as well and theyll come back after you later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users