Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Free guns for high-crime Neighborhoods

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

View PostMichelle, on 28 March 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

You sound like an enabler, but you may not know that term.

So, explaining things is enabling. So according to you, lets carry on with the alcohol example, explaining someone what alcohol does to the mind is enabling them?
So according to you every rehab centre or medical facility is now an enabler centre.

Okay :tu:

#32    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 16,475 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

View PostRender, on 28 March 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

So, explaining things is enabling. So according to you, lets carry on with the alcohol example, explaining someone what alcohol does to the mind is enabling them?
So according to you every rehab centre or medical facility is now an enabler centre.

I don't recall metioning any of the above. Where did you pull that out of your behind?

#33    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,399 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

View PostRender, on 28 March 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

I guess we need to know where you stand.   Do you think people should be allowed to own guns?   Do you just think better background checks are needed.   Do you think you should have to go through a training course in order to buy a gun?   There are many levels.   Are you against a person who passes a background check and has no criminal history should be denied a gun?

#34    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostMichelle, on 29 March 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

I don't recall metioning any of the above. Where did you pull that out of your behind?

If you can't understand simple analogies you should really rethink what you have said so far in this thread.

So why would you say im an enabler?  And remember, i already wrote down how thinking&discussing things isn't equal to justifying it. Because otherwise every court that thinks something through should acquit a criminal because according to you thinking about things is justifying them. Very irrational :rolleyes:

#35    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostMyles, on 29 March 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

I guess we need to know where you stand.   Do you think people should be allowed to own guns?   Do you just think better background checks are needed.   Do you think you should have to go through a training course in order to buy a gun?   There are many levels.   Are you against a person who passes a background check and has no criminal history should be denied a gun?

I'll answer them in order. Yes, Yes, Yes, and the last question deserves a longer answer because i can't answer that with yes or no.
I don't believe passing a background check and having no criminal history is sufficient for being allowed to hold a gun. As proven by the many nutbags who for example gave their children guns to school to "protect them". That's retarded.

So i would opt for heavier training over a longer period of time so one truly learns how to operate and safely keep a weapon. Theoretical and practical exams, that should be repeated (dependend on the weapon and nature of usage) every 5 to 10 years. So all the knowledge stays fresh in the mind, and there is less chance a numbnut gives guns to children to go to school. Also a medical exam of course.
And i don't know why some ppl take such isue with this. Especially the ones who don't feel they should go through extensive training. I don't get that...you buy a gun, then it would be logical to assume you wish to use it or know how to handle it. Training is a great experience, and you get to use the gun, not buy it and put it away in the dressor.

The impulse buys and shootings have lesser chance of happening. With all the training, administration, financial input etc a person has to go through before they can take the gun home with them.

#36    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,626 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Personaly there is no way Im going through gun training. Especialy every few years. It would certainly be at my expence, and Im more then capable of handling a gun, and teaching my sons how to properly handle a gun. The hunters safety course is just fine. Now I definitly think a program like that should be available to folks who feel they could benefit from it though.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#37    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostRender, on 28 March 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

It's so large with more diverse groups? Hello? Europe?
The argument that the US is larger than other countries doesn't seem to hold up when you compare by rate of 100 000 ppl. The US still trumps most.

Europe isn't a country...... lol Country borders are not the same as state borders. But if you want to use that then Switzerland does not have strict gun control laws.... Their crime rates are very low in comparison to other countries.

So you're bassically saying that Americans are intrinsically more violent and awful that when stricter gun control rules would be imposed everyone would just die in a matter of months.
Because that scenario certainly doesn't happen in the rest of the world.
And to say that a myriad of horrible crimes wouldn't happen if only everyone had a gun is .. so not an argument. In that logic, everyone who already does crime and would use a knife or other means would then use a gun and just make everything 10 times worse. You can do more damage with a gun than a knife in a shorter period of time, there's no refuting that.
Just like you say if there are less guns there will be more knives .. the opposite can be said as well, if guns are allowed they'll replace all the other things and make everything way worse.
There was a case of a guy in Europe who killed and harmed babies with a knife not too long ago. He mentioned in court or to his lawyer that he was mad at the government that he couldn't get access to guns, because he actually wanted to do way more damage.
So that's better according to you? Just preposterous, truly mad.

I never said any of that so you you haven't made any point there towards what I said... Well done on typing a huge paragraph of uselessness to the discussion. I will however mention that if guns where legal, then some law abiding citizen would have probably shot him before he even hit the number of killings he did. Also I'd much rather be shot than stabbed if I was going to die. You ever been stabbed? It's not nice...

Shootings come down to a lot of factors, exactly..so why don't you realise there is a psychological factor involved when a burglar knows he is entering a home where there is a 99% chance the owners are armed, that this burglar will be more inclined to use immediate violence and shoot?
When a burglar knows he is entering a home where the owners are most likely not armed there is less reason to escalate the factor and just do a burglary.
Common freaking sense.

Oh really?

http://www.dailymail...Britain-US.html

If you say so....

Also we hear a lot of stories about old people being beaten up by gangs/burglars here, in the US the old people shoot them.

I'd rather some scummy gits who would even think about harming an old man or lady be shot dead than actually get away with doing it.

View PostMichelle, on 29 March 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

He keeps doing that to me, saying I said things that where not even implied.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#38    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,937 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostCoffey, on 29 March 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

Europe isn't a country...... lol Country borders are not the same as state borders. But if you want to use that then Switzerland does not have strict gun control laws.... Their crime rates are very low in comparison to other countries.
(...)
The gun cotrol laws in Switzerland are not as lax as you think, and rather strict in comparison to US laws.

#39    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 29 March 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

The gun cotrol laws in Switzerland are not as lax as you think, and rather strict in comparison to US laws.

Well they are given automatic guns. They can use them as home defense can't they? I know they don't have a standing army and that is the real reason for it.

#40    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

View PostCoffey, on 29 March 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

I never said any of that so you you haven't made any point there towards what I said... Well done on typing a huge paragraph of uselessness to the discussion. I will however mention that if guns where legal, then some law abiding citizen would have probably shot him before he even hit the number of killings he did. Also I'd much rather be shot than stabbed if I was going to die. You ever been stabbed? It's not nice...

Oh really?

http://www.dailymail...Britain-US.html

If you say so....

Also we hear a lot of stories about old people being beaten up by gangs/burglars here, in the US the old people shoot them.

I'd rather some scummy gits who would even think about harming an old man or lady be shot dead than actually get away with doing it.

He keeps doing that to me, saying I said things that where not even implied.

Im not "doing anything to you". Haha.
It's called associative thinking and making analogies to explain to you how absurd your reasoning is.
But if it obviously all goes over your head, fine. Then our discussion is at an end.

#41    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostCoffey, on 29 March 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Well they are given automatic guns. They can use them as home defense can't they? I know they don't have a standing army and that is the real reason for it.

The Swiss have mandatory military service. So they adequatly train to handle guns and high risk situations. Then those that served get to take their gun home. They don't just give away guns there no questions asked. Ugh.
You know, like ... what i was saying about that more training is obviously necessary in the States.
So thanks for proving my point. Switzerland is super safe, because they know how to handle guns.

Edited by Render, 29 March 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#42    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostRender, on 29 March 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Im not "doing anything to you". Haha.
It's called associative thinking and making analogies to explain to you how absurd your reasoning is.
But if it obviously all goes over your head, fine. Then our discussion is at an end.

No you where saying I said things which i clearly didn't.

View PostRender, on 29 March 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

The Swiss have mandatory military service. So they adequatly train to handle guns and high risk situations. You know, like ... what i was saying about that more training is obviously necessary in the States.
So thanks for proving my point. Switzerland is super safe, because they know how to handle guns.

Most people who own guns legally in the US train with them.

Edited by Coffey, 29 March 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#43    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostCoffey, on 29 March 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

No you where saying I said things which i clearly didn't.

No......i made a point in saying that what you say is LIKE saying the analogy. That's how it works when you make an analogy, you say something and then say it is the same AS the original thing that was said. It is to prove a point. But if that person doesn't get that point, whatever.

View PostCoffey, on 29 March 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

Most people who own guns legally in the US train with them.

Most, that 's the problem. It should be mandatory. And it should be better training, cuz obviously many don't really know what to do with it.

Edited by Render, 29 March 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#44    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,937 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostCoffey, on 29 March 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

No, they cannot. They have their automatic rifles because they are an active part of a militia. They have mandatory military training once a year. And their bullets are all canned, and only to be used for militia operations.

#45    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,895 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Cousins, can you invite a pest of a neighbour into your home, shoot them dead, claim that you never invited them and that they were trespassing and get away with it?  (I'd love to do that)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users