Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Nth Korea cuts Military Hotline to Sth Korea

north korea; south korea;

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#121    sear

sear

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

• "A prudent question is one half of wisdom." William James

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

"they know eventually that the west will come to the table and give them what they want" s1
That's almost perfectly the opposite of NK propaganda.

NK propaganda says the U.S. is a ferocious adversary that's devoted to the destruction of NK.

#122    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

This is just a weird movement out of Pearl Harbor and since when do we name our ships after "Chinese" names. Ive never heard a ship called anything but an American name before. I dont know if this is a radar or what but its the strangest weapon platform Ive ever seen.

#123    sear

sear

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

AX,
The U.S. Navy has naming conventions. Here's the URL:   http://www.history.n...aqs/faq63-1.htm

those of the first class shall be called after the States of this Union; those of the second class after the rivers; and those of the third class after the principal cities and towns; taking care that no two vessels of the navy shall bear the same name." The last-cited provision remains in the United States Code today.
The newly completed U.S.S. New York was made in part from scrap steel from the World Trade Center wreckage.
How they end up naming an aircraft carrier "U.S.S. Enterprise" I don't know.

Regarding the Navy's new laser weapon recently tested, it took quite a while to down the target aircraft; flying in slow, straight, and level flight.
It's not clear to me how much utility such weapon would have against fast moving combat attack aircraft.

U.S. NATIONAL DEBT CLOCK
The Outstanding Public Debt as of 09 Apr 2013 at 02:53:20 PM GMT is: Posted Image
The estimated population of the United States is 314,746,776
so each citizen's share of this debt is $53,414.81.

http://www.brillig.c...m/debt_clock/  
We really can't afford this.

#124    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Breaking the N. Korean cycle of threats to get what they want is something I think a left-wing President like Obama can achieve more easily than a more conservative President could.  The left-wing in the States (the natural critics of such a harder line) aren't as willing to take advantage.  However, I doubt this is the issue.

It may be that restarting the reactor without getting more sanctions imposed was their objective; this they succeeded in doing.  They may also want to do some more tests and so on without stirring up more sanctions, so this may go on awhile.  It may also be that they want something from China that we don't know about (money or technology) and it may be that they are helping the Iranians by distracting attention -- probably in return for oil or money.

In short, there are a lot of ways to interpret N. Korean behavior so far as rational.  We will have to wait to see if they do something irrational; I doubt it.  Acting irrational can be a potent diplomatic device.

#125    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

The U.S. Navy has naming conventions. Here's the URL:

Ah. Yes here it is.

USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93) is an Arleigh Burke-class Aegis destroyer serving in the United States Navy. Chung-Hoon was named in honor of Rear Admiral Gordon Pai'ea Chung-Hoon (1910–1979), recipient of the Navy Cross and the Silver Star.

http://en.wikipedia....g-Hoon_(DDG-93)

Edited by AsteroidX, 09 April 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#126    sear

sear

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thanks AX. In light of Korematsu, in our nation of immigrants, not a bad idea to honor non-Europeans.

"It may be that restarting the reactor without getting more sanctions imposed was their objective; this they succeeded in doing." FM
I don't know all the details. But North Korea has demonstrated itself to be exceedingly difficult to negotiate with.
And once hard-won agreements are made, NK often breaks them.

I gather that's the case with the nuclear facility at issue here. NK wants what it can get from such "negotiations", and after it gets what it wants, it no longer feels obligated to keep its end of the bargain.
It's controversial.
But I suspect dropping a daisy cutter on the re-opened nuclear facility might wake up the KJU regime. It's about time he woke up and smelled the cappuccino.

#127    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,847 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 09 April 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

This is just a weird movement out of Pearl Harbor and since when do we name our ships after "Chinese" names. Ive never heard a ship called anything but an American name before. I dont know if this is a radar or what but its the strangest weapon platform Ive ever seen.

Of course, everything has to be HAARP these days, doesn't it, it couldn't just be, like, a radar platfrom or anything, could it...

http://en.wikipedia....ed_X-band_Radar

Regarding the USS Chung-Hoon,

USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93) is an Arleigh Burke-class Aegis destroyer serving in the United States Navy. Chung-Hoon was named in honor of Rear Admiral Gordon Pai'ea Chung-Hoon (1910–1979), recipient of the Navy Cross and the Silver Star.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 09 April 2013 - 03:58 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#128    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 24,847 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

View Postsear, on 09 April 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

AX,
The U.S. Navy has naming conventions. Here's the URL:   http://www.history.n...aqs/faq63-1.htm

The newly completed U.S.S. New York was made in part from scrap steel from the World Trade Center wreckage.
How they end up naming an aircraft carrier "U.S.S. Enterprise" I don't know.

Well, there've been quite a few, take your pick... http://en.wikipedia..../USS_Enterprise

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#129    sear

sear

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

That's fine CR.
But instead of answering the question, it merely expands it. From post #123:
"those of the first class shall be called after the States of this Union; those of the second class after the rivers; and those of the third class after the principal cities and towns"

This is just a partial list from your linked source:

Sloop-of-war class
Schooner-class
Brig-class
Barque-rigged Screw Sloop-class
Motorboat Patrol boat-class
Yorktown-class  
So what is the naming convention that allows this same name to be applied to such a wide variety of vessels?

#130    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Of course, everything has to be HAARP these days, doesn't it, it couldn't just be, like, a radar platfrom or anything, could it...

I wasnt refering to it as a HAARP weapon but it is the damn strangest weapon/radar platform Ive ever seen that was ocean going. That was my point.

#131    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 24,847 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

View Postsear, on 09 April 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

That's fine CR.
But instead of answering the question, it merely expands it. From post #123:
"those of the first class shall be called after the States of this Union; those of the second class after the rivers; and those of the third class after the principal cities and towns"

This is just a partial list from your linked source:

So what is the naming convention that allows this same name to be applied to such a wide variety of vessels?
Aircraft carriers (until the Nimitz class, which were named after famous people) were traditionally given names of famous or historic warships, that's all, or, like the Lexington and Yorktown, after famous sites fromt he Civil or Revolutionary Wars. it's a very old tradition in all navies to re-use the names of famous vessels. Look how many Ark Royals there've been in the RN. They only really started to have a theme for them with the Nimitzes.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#132    sear

sear

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

"it's a very old tradition in all navies to re-use the names of famous vessels." CR
There's quite a bit of superstition in such matters.
I confess, I under-appreciate the apparent lack of creativity / imagination; and the implied paucity of U.S. naval heroes.
I think retiring a name when the vessel is retired isn't such a bad idea.
I understand: tradition to the contrary.

#133    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

The Chinese could be talked round to accept a unified Korean peninsular,if Seoul and the US were prepared to give the Chinese favourable Concessions.US military forces could be greatly reduced and keeping the peninsular Nuke Free.

Let's face it if the Chinese cut young Kimmy off,North Korea would Collapse and I think the refugee problem it would create could be managed and it would be a small price to pay.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#134    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

It is a sober approach, but I doubt the Chinese want to see a US ally so close without a buffer state.  Some sort of generational arrangement -- a hundred years or so -- while North Korea remained independent under a purged Communist Party would probably work better, and allow time to get North Korea on its feet.

Of course the real problem is that any such Chinese/US/Russian/Japan/S. Korea (they would all have to be part of it) would probably set off just the sort of insane things the world would like to avoid.  It would require very adroit military handling.

#135    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,802 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostCoffey, on 07 April 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

Not at all, AH didn't go after Britian until Churchill antogonised him. Before that he only went after France who he had a vendetta against because of WW1 and then went for Stalin, he would never have went for Stalin if he knew Britian was going to go for him. He was far too intelligent for that. He would have kept his false allied state with stalin until he had wiped out Britian etc first. That proves that nto antogonising him actually gave us a very big advanatage. It made him shift most of his force East to Russia where they suffered from terrain and habitat.

Not compeltely true and France certianly did not do nothing. They fought pretty damn hard. They had bad leadership during battle which was their downfall.

As for Germany going on a rampage, that worked out in our favour, as they rampaged East.
I agree that Hitler's ambitions to the east helped the US and Britain immensely.  I wonder how long it would have been before Stalin did the same thing even if AH had kept their treaty though.  Anyway, the object lesson I took from it all is there's no honor among thieves and appeasement just doesn't work.  Bullies will never stop until forced to stop IMO.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users