Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

This Day in History

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostTaun, on 05 May 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

The woman and her children were the only people killed and that balloon was the only one that came within miles of damaging anything other than a few trees and insects....

Even then, it didn't actually drop on them. They found it in the undergrowth and tried to pull it out. In total, about 9,000 balloons were released over a period of several months, and about 1,000 actually reached the US/Canadian mainland.
The United States government went to extraordinary lengths to keep information on the Japanese balloon bombs out of the media. The United States knew that Japan could only measure its success based on media reports. And giving them that type of intelligence information could cause them to refine the balloons to be more accurate and deadly. Even today, few Americans know much about the 'Fu-Go' bombs.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#62    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

7th.May
1915 - A German submarine sank the British ocean liner Lusitania. Of the almost 2,000 passengers, 1,201 civilians were killed.

1937 - The German Condor Legion arrived in Spain to assist Franco’s forces.
1940 - Winston Churchill became British Prime Minister.
1945  - Germany signed an unconditional surrender ending World War II. It would take effect the next day.

(Another busy day!)

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#63    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,385 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

View Postealdwita, on 05 May 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Even then, it didn't actually drop on them. They found it in the undergrowth and tried to pull it out. In total, about 9,000 balloons were released over a period of several months, and about 1,000 actually reached the US/Canadian mainland.
The United States government went to extraordinary lengths to keep information on the Japanese balloon bombs out of the media. The United States knew that Japan could only measure its success based on media reports. And giving them that type of intelligence information could cause them to refine the balloons to be more accurate and deadly. Even today, few Americans know much about the 'Fu-Go' bombs.
   Led Zeppelin ? sorry mate couldn't resist it,cheers.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#64    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,942 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

May 8, 1794 – The Reign of Terror: Branded a traitor, French chemist Antoine Lavoisier (pictured), a former royal tax collector with the Ferme Générale, was tried, convicted, and guillotined on the same day.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#65    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

8th.May

1450 - Jack Cade's Rebellion. Kentishmen revolted against King Henry VI.
1884 - Harry S.Truman was born.

#66    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostKasey2601, on 08 May 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

May 8, 1794 – The Reign of Terror: Branded a traitor, French chemist Antoine Lavoisier (pictured), a former royal tax collector with the Ferme Générale, was tried, convicted, and guillotined on the same day.

Ealdwita snippet alert.......

Lavoisier was the man who discovered oxygen. (He didn't need much after 8th.May though!)

#67    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,341 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

View Postealdwita, on 08 May 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Lavoisier was the man who discovered oxygen. (He didn't need much after 8th.May though!)

I always kind of wondered if the guy who discovered oxygen could have gotten a patent on it... just think how rich they would have been... every breath taken.. "Oh.. You owe me a penny!" :)

Edited by Taun, 08 May 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#68    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostTaun, on 08 May 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

I always kind of wondered if the guy who discovered oxygen could have gotten a patent on it... just think how rich they would have been... every breath taken.. "Oh.. You owe me a penny!" :)

HM Government are probably conducting a feasability study as we speak. (They've taxed just about everything else!)

#69    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

9th.May

1429 - Joan of Arc defeated the besieging English at Orleans. (And before all you anti-Brits out there start cheering, let's not forget the fact that it took a gurl to achieve something that all those pompous, puffed-up French Marshals and Generals hadn't been able to do for almost 400 years! - So there!)
Posted Image

1671 - Thomas "Captain" Blood stole the crown jewels from the Tower of London.

(and most importantly).......1785 - Joseph Bramah patented the beer-pump handle.

#70    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,341 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

View Postealdwita, on 09 May 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

9th.May

1429 - Joan of Arc defeated the besieging English at Orleans. (And before all you anti-Brits out there start cheering, let's not forget the fact that it took a gurl to achieve something that all those pompous, puffed-up French Marshals and Generals hadn't been able to do for almost 400 years! - So there!)
Posted Image

(and most importantly).......1785 - Joseph Bramah patented the beer-pump handle.

Three cheers for Joseph Bramah!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

#71    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,385 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

View Postealdwita, on 09 May 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

9th.May

Posted Image

Just a quick question, why hasn't your avatar helmet got a badge on it denoting whose side you're on ?  If I met  that in the dark I'd be off pretty damn rapido.hee hee.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#72    shrooma

shrooma

Needs an exorcist, not a shrink....

• 3,443 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

View Postealdwita, on 08 May 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Lavoisier was the man who discovered oxygen.
thank the gods they gave the credit to joseph priestley though, he was born in my home town!
(and he also went on to become one of the founding fathers too!)
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bth due to your lack of understanding.

#73    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

10th.May

1773 - The English Parliament passed the Tea Act, which taxed all tea in the US colonies.
1857 - The Seepoys of India revolted against the British Army.

(Today was not a good day in the Colonies!)

1838 - John Wilkes Booth was born
1871 - The Treaty of Frankfurt was signed, ending the Franco-Prussian War

Edited by ealdwita, 10 May 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#74    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

12th.May

1780 - Charleston, South Carolina fell to British forces.
1812 - The poet, Edward Lear was born. ("Twas brillig and the slythy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe")
1932 - The infant body of Charles and Anna Lindbergh's son was found just a few miles from the Lindbergh home near Hopewell, NJ.
1943 - The Axis forces in North Africa surrendered during World War II.

#75    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

13th.May

1607 - Jamestown, Virginia, was settled as a colony of England.
1861 - Britain declared its neutrality in the American Civil War. (Obviously, Tony Teflon Bliar wasn't involved!)
1912 - Royal Flying Corps was established in England.

1981 - Pope John Paul II was shot and seriously wounded in St. Peter's Square by Turkish assailant Mehmet Ali Agca. (At almost exactly the same moment as my youngest daughter Suki was born!) ....I checked for the 666 mark BTW, and she didn't have one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users